Thread: Put Immediate Payment Required On Listings

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10028)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: EBid Refuses to Put Immediate Payment Required On Listings

Quote Originally Posted by HaleysComics View Post
    All eBid has to do is put this text by the buy it now button like the other site does. (Immediate Payment Required)

Problem solved
    No, it is not. The fact that some BuyNow sales would require immediate payment and some would not will create confusion for buyers, especially new buyers. It would be much better if eBid were to set up a basket system into which any BuyNow sales would go. When a buyer has finished buying (after one or many purchases) they would proceed to checkout at which point payment is required. This is the system which applies to almost all internet buying sites with which all buyers are familiar. It seems to me that this would solve the problem of non paying buyers and the subsequent relisting with which some sellers seem to have problems. The items in the basket would not be removed from the for sale list until the basket is paid for. Much better than a multitude of possible situations.

View Posbear's Feedback (+43)
    All-About Posbear
    View Posbear's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tony41 View Post
    No, it is not. The fact that some BuyNow sales would require immediate payment and some would not will create confusion for buyers, especially new buyers. It would be much better if eBid were to set up a basket system into which any BuyNow sales would go. When a buyer has finished buying (after one or many purchases) they would proceed to checkout at which point payment is required. This is the system which applies to almost all internet buying sites with which all buyers are familiar. It seems to me that this would solve the problem of non paying buyers and the subsequent relisting with which some sellers seem to have problems. The items in the basket would not be removed from the for sale list until the basket is paid for. Much better than a multitude of possible situations.
    I agree, my websites operate a basket system as do the vast majority of e-commerce sites.
    The item is not yours until payment is made, no pay, no get!
    If you decide that you don't want the item, remove it from the basket and move on.

The 'buy now' button should be replaced by an 'add to cart button'. When clicked it will move you to the shopping cart where there would be a notice stating that the item is not yours until paid for.

Your item stays live until it's paid for.
    Last edited by Poscar; 1st January 2014 at 02:35 PM.
    Graham

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View lofty100e's Feedback (+74)
    All-About lofty100e
    View lofty100e's Listings
    Forum Posts

The cart idea mentioned by Poscar is a good one; the only snag I can see with it is that the buyer would then potentially have to make payments to diffesrent members using different payment options. (Although the majority of folks take pp there are other payment systems around (skrill, nochex and PPPay plus others). And of course some folks prefer to pay by cheque, bank transfer or postal order). This woul make the process a little unwieldy.
    To view my listings: click here: www.loftys-stores.com

To join eBid click this link: http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/253503

I'm wondering how excessive PayPal fees would be avoided in a shopping cart.

If each item is sent to PayPal individually, each one generates a 30 cent base fee plus the percentage charge. When I create an invoice, it always includes a shipping discount, and is sent to PayPal only when the correct discounted total is paid. Multiple purchases from the same seller, with the individual shipping charges, would be excessive. PayPal certainly will not refund these fees. I sent an invoice last month with a shipping discount of $84.00. NO --- that is not a misprint.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to avoid this? My best guess is NOT to put items in the cart unless the seller has opted for immediate payment.

Quote Originally Posted by Poscar View Post
    I agree, my websites operate a basket system as do the vast majority of e-commerce sites.
    The item is not yours until payment is made, no pay, no get!
    If you decide that you don't want the item, remove it from the basket and move on.

The 'buy now' button should be replaced by an 'add to cart button'. When clicked it will move you to the shopping cart where there would be a notice stating that the item is not yours until paid for.

Your item stays live until it's paid for.
    Best suggestion I've seen so far regarding the immediate payment debate, particular the part highlighted.

All-About Posbear
    View Posbear's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TiasTreasures View Post
    I'm wondering how excessive PayPal fees would be avoided in a shopping cart.

If each item is sent to PayPal individually, each one generates a 30 cent base fee plus the percentage charge. When I create an invoice, it always includes a shipping discount, and is sent to PayPal only when the correct discounted total is paid. Multiple purchases from the same seller, with the individual shipping charges, would be excessive. PayPal certainly will not refund these fees. I sent an invoice last month with a shipping discount of $84.00. NO --- that is not a misprint.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to avoid this? My best guess is NOT to put items in the cart unless the seller has opted for immediate payment.
    The total amount due from the buyer is calculated into one invoice before they make the PayPal payment, only one PP fee for multiple purchases.
    Graham

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10028)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lofty100e View Post
    The cart idea mentioned by Poscar is a good one; the only snag I can see with it is that the buyer would then potentially have to make payments to diffesrent members using different payment options. (Although the majority of folks take pp there are other payment systems around (skrill, nochex and PPPay plus others). And of course some folks prefer to pay by cheque, bank transfer or postal order). This woul make the process a little unwieldy.
    Presumably, a buyer would open a cart with his/her first purchase. That cart would hold sales from that particular seller. The buyer completes purchases from that buyer's store(s) and pays. S/he can then move on to another seller if there is anything else they wish to purchase.
    PS. the cart idea was first mentioned in my post (I called it a basket)
    Last edited by tony41; 1st January 2014 at 11:37 PM. Reason: added comment

Quote Originally Posted by Poscar View Post
    The total amount due from the buyer is calculated into one invoice before they make the PayPal payment, only one PP fee for multiple purchases.
    Does the cart apply the shipping discount before sending the invoice?

All-About Posbear
    View Posbear's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tony41 View Post
    PS. the cart idea was first mentioned in my post (I called it a basket)
    Yes you did and I agreed with your post and then elaborated on the basic workings of a cart/basket.
    Graham

All-About Posbear
    View Posbear's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TiasTreasures View Post
    Does the cart apply the shipping discount before sending the invoice?
    That depends on the software used, on my websites I use different methods according to what I am selling.

• A one off cost for any amount of items bought, ideal for light items, eg stamps, postcards, beads etc.
    • A zone based system, used to calculate the postage to different geographical zones, used in conjuction with fixed cost postage (above).
    • A weight based system, this requires the weight of each item, the cart/basket then calculates the postal rate, in my case linked to a RM database.
    Graham

Thread Information