Thread: Law For Buying At Auction

Forum Master
    View darklisruthven's Feedback (+1327)
    All-About darklisruthven
    View darklisruthven's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Law For Buying At Auction

sheesh, that keeps it confusing then.
    I hope it all gets resolved and sorted out. If he really seems to be the person who was the owner, I would personally send them a scan of the auction house reciepts, just to prove where I got it from.

View kazeran's Feedback (+7908)
    All-About kazeran
    View kazeran's Listings
    Forum Posts

I know what you mean, but I am reluctant to give him the name of the auction house just yet, as I get on well with them and the last thing I want is for him to give them the same sort of grief he has given me.
    I plan, if it all goes up the wall to return the medal to them for a refund and let them deal with the chap.
    I don't foresee trouble from them, I have been a good customer of theirs for many years and I have helped them out with "booky" type problems in the past.

All-About kazeran
    View kazeran's Listings
    Forum Posts

Just got hold of the chap on the telephone.
    I think I will take the medal back to the auction room and try for a refund and leave it to them.
    He sounds convincing enough but I don't think he fully reported the theft, thinking back in 2005 that they were gone and that was that.
    I want to get out of this one asap.
    The medal will be virtually un-saleable and to be honest I would rather it went back to him, but I don't want to loose out.

Forum Master
    View darklisruthven's Feedback (+1327)
    All-About darklisruthven
    View darklisruthven's Listings
    Forum Posts

Makes sense. What a nightmare, but it sounds as if you have handled it to the best of your ability.

I have read all these posts and have come to the conclusion that this claimant must prove not to you but the Police that, this is his property and got lost via theft or a catastrophe. Theft is recorded and documented by police,
    The latter happens when someone finds the item after a catastrophe and disposes of it for quick gain. My brothers, brothers, brothers etc may have found and pawned it and then found its way on to the market.

No need to get the anxiety up as you have legally aquired the item.
    The owner as said , must prove that this is his property and subject detail under police analysis. The police may impound the item if a charge is laid while proof is scrutinized.

I would think with the police documentation the auction house would refund you the amount - they should have insurance for that.

Rare coins are also in this scenario and no, I have not been a victim - yet, so relax. Threats
    do not prove any thing only facts, he must supply such to authorities.
    Possession is nine points to the law, though I understand your anxiety to get this resolved.

All-About kazeran
    View kazeran's Listings
    Forum Posts

well, its back with the auction house. I am not sure if they were reluctant to take it back or a little in shock that the item had been plonked into their lap. I have told the chap in question so all they have to do is talk and hopefully work it out themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by kazeran View Post
    well, its back with the auction house. I am not sure if they were reluctant to take it back or a little in shock that the item had been plonked into their lap. I have told the chap in question so all they have to do is talk and hopefully work it out themselves.
    You probably were not refunded pending their own investigation as they are still reeling on how to tackle this themselves. Did you get a receipt ? They should refund in good faith in business attitude as you bought it in good faith from them.
    Were at least two Auction employees present when you handed it back ?
    If the complainant has proof he could lay a charge trying to reclaim his property which would be a headache for the police.

I suspect however nothing will become of all this and if not refunded you should claim your medal back after an elapse of a time frame negotiated with the auction house.

Let us know of the results of this Agatha Christie.

All-About kazeran
    View kazeran's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hello; No I did not get a receipt but I know most of the people in the auction house and I have been going there for over eight years, so I don't foresee a major problem.
    I hope it all turns out for the best and justice is done.
    I will be back at the auction house next month so I will be brought up to speed in December if not before.
    I will post any more details as they are forthcoming, but I really wanted to thank everyone her for all their help.
    It is really appreciated.
    Thank you everyone

All-About kazeran
    View kazeran's Listings
    Forum Posts

Well, just for the record books and to make a final update (unless something else happens).
    It looks like the chap will have to buy his medal back from the auction house as the powers that be appeared not to have recorded the theft details?
    The folk at the auction rooms told me that they were working something out with the chap.
    Its good in a way, I got my money returned to me and if they do sell him the medals it will almost definitely be for the same money as I purchased it for. If I had been left with it he would have had to pay me plus a profit
    I hope that is the end of it now, it has been a very good lesson and I now know quite a bit about the law for this sort of occasion should it arise again, I hope not...

Thank you for the update and pleased for the outcome for you.

Without going into the pros and cons again as some options are still in the air, next time get the theft record first. Very likely as I suspect It may not have been stolen at all and someone may be purposely trying a con.

Thread Information