My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: A question about English bone china brands

Default A question about English bone china brands

I'm listing an old collection of bone china. These were packed away long ago, and the teacups and saucers were kept together. One set, though, has me stumped.

The pattern is identical on both pieces, and somewhat unusual because of variation in the color of the leaves (yellow, green, red tips) instead of the usual green only coloration. I had no problem until I turned them over.

The saucer has the Regency mark (I found the same mark on another set) and the cup is marked Royal Ascot (also matching the mark on a different set). I've searched the web and can't find any information about either of these companies except this note in one ad "Regency China Ltd are a nice little maker founded in 1953, situated very near to the famous Sutherland works of Hudson & Middleton works in Sutherland Road, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire." I have also learned some of the companies in this area had many brands under a company's umbrella. I assume that's the case here, but I can't find out who that parent company might be.

I'm going to list these as a matched set, because they do match until I turn them over.

But, I'm really frustrated about not knowing the answer to this conundrum. Can anyone enlighten me? Is this a manufacturing error that simply stamped the wrong brand name on the bottom of one of the pieces?

Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View cheaver's Feedback (+1050)
    All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: A question about English bone china brands

Found this info, hope it helps:

"The Middleton and Hudson families operated the Alma Works in Longton together from 1870 to 1889 at which time they started their separate pottery companies, in 1941 their descendants joined forces again at the Sutherland Pottery."

Name:  pot.png
Views: 44
Size:  16.8 KB

Also have you seen:

http://www.thepotteries.org/allpotters/578.htm

What a lovely page! Fabulous pictures....

Oh & look here:

http://www.thepotteries.org/allpotters/735b.htm

Census 1881 - this has been so much fun - just hope it helps!

Oh & for different marks on Royal Ascot cups I found an article - but can't post the link here so I will PM it to you.....

Last edited by cheaver; 21st November 2013 at 01:41 PM.

You are right about the address and date for the Regency china but I haven't been able to find out about Royal Ascot, it seems a bit of a mystery ! Lots of those small potteries seemed to pilfer popular patterns at that time though if they didn't have a patent. See my listing here for Paragon and Royal Mayfair plates. Both exactly the same but with different maker's marks !
    http://uk.ebid.net/for-sale/two-bone...-121076935.htm

Forum Saint
    View Pink_Panther's Feedback (+177)
    All-About Pink_Panther
    View Pink_Panther's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cornishmaid1961 View Post
    You are right about the address and date for the Regency china but I haven't been able to find out about Royal Ascot, it seems a bit of a mystery ! Lots of those small potteries seemed to pilfer popular patterns at that time though if they didn't have a patent. See my listing here for Paragon and Royal Mayfair plates. Both exactly the same but with different maker's marks !
    http://uk.ebid.net/for-sale/two-bone...-121076935.htm
    Having decorated pottery and china myself, I can tell you that there are what are called "open stock" patterns. These patterns can be bought by any pottery company.

So it would be no surprise that different manufactures sometimes used the same patterns.

I used to buy many open stock patterns from firms such as K.H. Bailey of Stoke on Trent.

Quote Originally Posted by Pink_Panther View Post
    Having decorated pottery and china myself, I can tell you that there are what are called "open stock" patterns. These patterns can be bought by any pottery company.

So it would be no surprise that different manufactures sometimes used the same patterns.

I used to buy many open stock patterns from firms such as K.H. Bailey of Stoke on Trent.
    That's interesting to know they are 'open stock' patterns Pink, that would explain it then. I still don't know anything about Royal Ascot china though, do you know anything about them ?

Forum Saint
    View Pink_Panther's Feedback (+177)
    All-About Pink_Panther
    View Pink_Panther's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cornishmaid1961 View Post
    That's interesting to know they are 'open stock' patterns Pink, that would explain it then. I still don't know anything about Royal Ascot china though, do you know anything about them ?
    I'm saying they "could" be open stock patterns.

<There are thousands upon thousands of open stock patterns on the market>

As for Royal Ascot china. It sounds like it was a small firm with big ideas. The couldn't give themselves the prefix "Royal" without appointment; unless of course they named them selves after an existing event in the race calender. I suspect that's what has happened.

I further expect they were not very successful and were swallowed up several times as firms merged and merged again as the market shrank.

It's only a theory but a very plausible one.

This is fascinating. One of the problems I encounter when I'm researching something new is that it takes forever because I get sidetracked so easily. But it has made this daunting project of listing all these inherited items fun.

Thanks for the help. I'll list the set with all the information and no speculation. I am going to keep looking though (because I'm curious), and I'll post anything I learn about Royal Ascot.

Thread Information