Forum Lurker
    West Bromwich, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View Spot50's Feedback (+152)
    All-About Spot50
    View Spot50's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Do books sell on ebid?

Quote Originally Posted by Pink_Panther View Post
    I can't remember, I just didn't follow up the comment.

I may have gone out - opened the tinnies or turned on the telly.

Not a big deal really.

Just had a quick look at my books and I think 73 will have to go!

I just love swinging that axe at the dead wood!
    It was a 'big deal' to me at the time, I'm trying to be as successful on ebid as I was on the other site (I could sell in a week what I've sold in 3 months here) and the throw away comment you made may not mean much to you but was important to me, if a regular ebidder felt strongly enough to post on a thread to say the way I'm listing is so bad that he/she is surprised I've sold anything then surely I must be doing something VERY wrong! So I'd have thought a request for some back-up to the comment was not being unreasonable?

Forum Saint
    View Pink_Panther's Feedback (+177)
    All-About Pink_Panther
    View Pink_Panther's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spot50 View Post
    It was a 'big deal' to me at the time, I'm trying to be as successful on ebid as I was on the other site (I could sell in a week what I've sold in 3 months here) and the throw away comment you made may not mean much to you but was important to me, if a regular ebidder felt strongly enough to post on a thread to say the way I'm listing is so bad that he/she is surprised I've sold anything then surely I must be doing something VERY wrong! So I'd have thought a request for some back-up to the comment was not being unreasonable?
    I'll have a look tomorrow and give a critique!

Had a quick look!

You seem to have taken advice and listing are good., though not perfect.

The only glaring thing I can see is pictures could be improved massively.

I'm always googling "how to take pics" I got some good advice .

<My comments are never throw away or designed to be provocative. I say it as I see it without any kind of one up man ship.>
    Last edited by Pink_Panther; 3rd December 2013 at 02:04 AM.

Forum Lurker
    All-About Spot50
    View Spot50's Listings
    Forum Posts

I'm now at 1800+ listings, I've amended all titles taking out punctation and inserting 'paperback (or hardback) book' The photos are not brilliant but are the best I can do with the equipment I have. I've opened an account.
    All the items are being looked at with only the most recent listings having 0 views. I've compared my prices with other listings for the same items and generally I'm much cheaper....yet still sales are very slow to non-existant.

As I'm determined not to return to THAT place unless/until they reverse some of their recent changes, I'll continue to list here..but I must say that it's disappointing, to say the least, at the number of sales so far and I feel that it's likely I'll be doing car boots come the spring!

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

The thing is book sales are slow everywhere.

Unless you have specialized or rare books.

People give them away at fairs etc.

And on top of that ebid does not have as many members or as much traffic as a couple of other big sites.

Forum Diehard
    Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View cerealmunkee's Feedback (+1334)
    All-About cerealmunkee
    View cerealmunkee's Listings
    Forum Posts

If you're waiting for the other place to do a u turn on their policies then i believe that you'll be waiting forever. I am happy to use their services....but recently i've refrained from doing so, and currently prefer this site.
    I have sold Books over here. They were essentially local history titles and technical manuals. If as already stated you have something unusual and in demand to offer then there is no reason why such things can't sell on Ebid.
    I always offer international shipping, with clearly stated costs that are little more than actual cost, as i find that sales from overseas make a real difference to my satisfaction with the site.

I am also a believer in the power of Google and make certain that i satisfy the needs of this search to enable my Ebid listings to appear on this. It's through Google that the majority of my sales come about.

Forum Lurker
    All-About Spot50
    View Spot50's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cerealmunkee View Post
    If you're waiting for the other place to do a u turn on their policies then i believe that you'll be waiting forever. .
    The E**y defenders of their forum said this when they enforced P & P in the books (and DVD/Music) catagories 2 or 3 years ago, but after 3 months they reversed the decision, thus proving they can admit to errors and change policy decisions.

Forum Lurker
    All-About Spot50
    View Spot50's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Juliebabe25 View Post
    The thing is book sales are slow everywhere.

Unless you have specialized or rare books.

People give them away at fairs etc.

And on top of that ebid does not have as many members or as much traffic as a couple of other big sites.
    You keep saying this, but I assure you I used to sell between 5 - 10 book PER WEEK right up until the change in policy in Sept' last year. and this was just using the 100 free listing per month allowance and the 100 99p or less and 100 £1.00 or over listings (usually alternate fortnightly events) so on a maximum listings of 300 per month, I sold between 20 - 40 books EVERY MONTH!
    Before feepay imposed the listing limit (about 3 or 4 years ago) I , as I'm doing here, just kept relisting items that didn't sell first time, whilst also adding new titles. The highest count I got up to was just over 1700 items (less than I've got listed here today) and the most items I took to the Post Office (I only posted on Saturdays then) was 70 parcels. It was only the FREE listing restrictions that reduced that.
    So I do think there's a market for books just not at the margins of a few years ago. The fact that most of the books I've got listed on eBid have had 'views' proves ther's at least an interest. If there were no views at all I would accept your statement as valid.

You keep saying this, but I assure you I used to sell between 5 - 10 book PER WEEK right up until the change in policy in Sept' last year. and this was just using the 100 free listing per month allowance and the 100 99p or less and 100 £1.00 or over listings (usually alternate fortnightly events) so on a maximum listings of 300 per month, I sold between 20 - 40 books EVERY MONTH!
    Before feepay imposed the listing limit (about 3 or 4 years ago) I , as I'm doing here, just kept relisting items that didn't sell first time, whilst also adding new titles. The highest count I got up to was just over 1700 items (less than I've got listed here today) and the most items I took to the Post Office (I only posted on Saturdays then) was 70 parcels. It was only the FREE listing restrictions that reduced that.
    So I do think there's a market for books just not at the margins of a few years ago. The fact that most of the books I've got listed on eBid have had 'views' proves ther's at least an interest. If there were no views at all I would accept your statement as valid.
    Thanks Spot, lots of food for thought for me there. First I'm full of admiration for your organisational ability... 1700 items! When I've listed 30 items I've got in quite a muddle and even had to cancel sales when I couldn't find something. I guess it's easier with books, they fit neatly in rows on shelves, but even so, I'm impressed.

I just took a look at your first 50 books. Mostly they're paperbacks, quite mainstream. I guess the postage isn't too bad on such, whereas my own attempts to sell books have mainly been thick heavy technical stuff. More often than not I find I can't compete with Amazon sellers who must be getting special rates on delivery... 2.80 is nowhere near enough for posting most of my books, even before Amazon's commission.

When you were selling on feeBay, did you find you could get sales even when listing at more than 2.81 (including post)? Many paperbacks seem to be listed there at more than they're offered on Amazon, and I don't understand how they make any sales? Are buyers really really stupid and don't check the obvious alternatives? Or is there some other benefit for them?

Wishing you every success for 2014...
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Forum Lurker
    All-About Spot50
    View Spot50's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johnwash1 View Post
    Thanks Spot, lots of food for thought for me there. First I'm full of admiration for your organisational ability... 1700 items! When I've listed 30 items I've got in quite a muddle and even had to cancel sales when I couldn't find something. I guess it's easier with books, they fit neatly in rows on shelves, but even so, I'm impressed.

I just took a look at your first 50 books. Mostly they're paperbacks, quite mainstream. I guess the postage isn't too bad on such, whereas my own attempts to sell books have mainly been thick heavy technical stuff. More often than not I find I can't compete with Amazon sellers who must be getting special rates on delivery... 2.80 is nowhere near enough for posting most of my books, even before Amazon's commission.

When you were selling on feeBay, did you find you could get sales even when listing at more than 2.81 (including post)? Many paperbacks seem to be listed there at more than they're offered on Amazon, and I don't understand how they make any sales? Are buyers really really stupid and don't check the obvious alternatives? Or is there some other benefit for them?

Wishing you every success for 2014...
    Believe me my garage is in total chaos. 3 walls have various sized missmatched selving units all rammed with books (I try to keep them by subject, i.e. True Crime, Military & War, Biography, Childrens etc ) but I'm still ploughing my way through the unlisted pile - which seems to grow by itself. As I've said elsewhere, Ive been selling books for over six years - as a hobby - at an average selling price of 99p each it certainly isn't allowing me to tell my boss where to shove his day job (ha ha) but family, friends, neighbours and workmates have given me their unwanted books for years - I've now had to tell them all NO MORE PLEAAASSSSSE.

As for P & P as long as I can cover the costs involved (I use brown craft paper from Staples - £8.50 a roll - as it's tougher than standard parcel paper and only use the market leader for tape) and now post the day after payment is cleared (or Monday if payment is made after 10.30 on Saturdays) then I'm happy.

My sales during the six years on feepay were over 6700, many customers coming back time after time. My star ratings were all above 4.8 and feedback excellent, what started as an hobby became something of an obession over the years. As long as items are packed with care and attention most buyers are happy to pay above the actual stamp price (with the odd stroppy exception now and again)

I feel that for the vast majority of people, for second hand books, feepay is the first (and unfortunately only) site they go to so P&P comparisons tend to be with other sellers on that site. if only the breakthrough would come and people would realise that there IS AN ALTERNATIVE available, that operates like that site USED TO.
    Last edited by Spot50; 5th March 2014 at 12:20 AM.

Believe me my garage is in total chaos. 3 walls have various sized missmatched selving units all rammed with books ...
    ROFL! Ah, that's my problem then, I don't have a waterproof garage, alas.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Thread Information