eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting article that mentions ebid

Default Re: Interesting article that mentions ebid

Quote Originally Posted by Juliebabe25 View Post
    It should be ebid's marketing department job to do this.

@ Kreative - well spotted for those bidding stats, so not that many bidding wars on ebay !

Don't forget the website in question is aimed at B&M auctioneers who would be in opposition to sites like ebay and ebid. So I can't see them wanting to promote ebid.
    I thought the article was quite supportive of the "old darkside" and supportive of auctions in general be it online or live. I disagree with your perspective that the article is slanted towards b and m auctioning. I disagree in a fun debating sort of way with all due respect and happiness and smiles and love of the human race and stuff........

Forum Lurker tkauctionworldwide's Avatar
    Rhondda Cynon Taf S. Wales, Rhondda Cynon Taff, United Kingdom
    View tkauctionworldwide's Feedback (+2593)
    All-About tkauctionworldwide
    View tkauctionworldwide's Listings
    Forum Posts

Julie

It should be ebid's marketing department job to do this.

Thats like saying that a person that as been in a accident should not be given first aid as that would be a nurse or doctors job.

@ Kreative - well spotted for those bidding stats, so not that many bidding wars on ebay !
    IMO Bidding wars on ebay are mainly a thing of the past, you only have to read the threads where sellers complain that their item only sold for the 99p starting price.ones where buyers are complaining that sellers are not prepared to go ahead with the sale because the item was not bid up to the price they expected.
    Ebay favours the big sellers in the searches selling their items via BIN with free postage, not the sellers who sell via auction be that with a 99p start price or higher starting price.

Don't forget the website in question is aimed at B&M auctioneers who would be in opposition to sites like ebay and ebid. So I can't see them wanting to promote ebid.

I agree to a point that the question may of been aimed at B&M auctioneers but they did mention ebay & ebid.
    By mentioning Ebid although they got the name wrong some publicity was given to the Ebid auction site.
    Shame they did not get the ebid name right, they put the .com which as no connection to the ebid auction site, instead of correct name ebid Net

Quote Originally Posted by bringinitback4less View Post
    They could also just buy the domain name ebid.com and enjoy much heavier traffic.
    Oh no! Not this old chestnut, it's been done to death in the forums over the years!

Of course, with hindsight, ebid should have chosen a different domain name when they started. But it's very clear that the guy who owns ebid.com has a wonderful earner on his hands and knows the value of that domain. Why don't you try making an offer to him, and if you're successful then sell it on to Gazza+Mark?
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Quote Originally Posted by tkauctionworldwide View Post
    IMO Bidding wars on ebay are mainly a thing of the past, you only have to read the threads where sellers complain that their item only sold for the 99p starting price.ones where buyers are complaining that sellers are not prepared to go ahead with the sale because the item was not bid up to the price they expected.
    I guess it depends on the starting price whether you get a bidding war. I've just sold a garden shed over there and watched it bid to 31 quid.

Interesting question: should I have tried to sell it here instead? And at what starting price and what do you think the result would have been?

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Have managed to log in and post the correct address for eBid. Hopefully it will get corrected.

As for the article being for B & M sellers, looks to me like the site is for antique sellers in general, but that section is called 'Behind The Gavel', which hints strongly at auctions, be they online or B & M. But nowadays even B & M auction houses usually take online bids.

I think that the demise of auctions may be some way off. While many people would rather just click and buy, there will always be a place for specific items, especially in the antique and collectable categories. But even standard items can get the bids if they are well listed. I might even dip my toes back into the auction format myself just to keep the money turning over, I have a few items where I have larger quantities and it might be a way of freeing up some of my capital.

Log in? Why aren't people politely mailing the author? His address is at the end of the article: auctioneer.wayne@yahoo.com

The more that mail him the more chuffed he'll be at getting readers and keener to get it fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by johnwash1 View Post
    Oh no! Not this old chestnut, it's been done to death in the forums over the years!

Of course, with hindsight, ebid should have chosen a different domain name when they started. But it's very clear that the guy who owns ebid.com has a wonderful earner on his hands and knows the value of that domain. Why don't you try making an offer to him, and if you're successful then sell it on to Gazza+Mark?
    Unfortunately I dont have the resources to succeed at such an endeavor though, its still great suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by bringinitback4less View Post
    Unfortunately I dont have the resources to succeed at such an endeavor though, its still great suggestion.
    To get an idea of the level of offer to make, read http://www.ricksblog.com/2010/09/you...idcom-history/

Of course the guy may be blowing smoke, but he's clearly playing the long game and is not going to settle for something modest like $100K.

View sherlock07's Feedback (+301)
    All-About sherlock07
    View sherlock07's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johnwash1 View Post
    Log in? Why aren't people politely mailing the author? His address is at the end of the article: auctioneer.wayne@yahoo.com

The more that mail him the more chuffed he'll be at getting readers and keener to get it fixed.
    Good Idea to email the author, so I sent off a short polite note, and I received this reply.

"Thanks so much for your nice note. I'm glad you enjoy my column.

I've forwarded your email to the AT online editor so she can make the correction. It's too late to correct the print edition, though.

Wishing you the best...

Wayne Jordan"

Sherlock's Watches Store ~ Great Watches for the Family
    Sherlock's Bazaar
    ~ General Store

Quote Originally Posted by sherlock07 View Post
    Good Idea to email the author, so I sent off a short polite note, and I received this reply.

"Thanks so much for your nice note. I'm glad you enjoy my column.

I've forwarded your email to the AT online editor so she can make the correction. It's too late to correct the print edition, though.

Wishing you the best...

Wayne Jordan"
    Nice work sherlock thanks!!!

Thread Information