Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

View Poll Results: Should we have the option to edit maximum bids?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

14 58.33%
  • NO

7 29.17%
  • Don't care.

3 12.50%
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Editing Maximum bids?

Forum Saint
    View Pink_Panther's Feedback (+177)
    All-About Pink_Panther
    View Pink_Panther's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Editing Maximum bids?

Quote Originally Posted by adruml View Post
    I'm not a politician but I assume everyone believes it's okay to have someone outbid a max bid of $100 when the max bid meant was $10.

If I accidentally entered a max bid of $100 and was unable to change it, I would be over the moon if someone thought it was worth bidding over $100.

None of this however has any real bearing on the issue except to highlight why this proposal would be useful!

Quote Originally Posted by Knit_Wits_Vintage View Post
    I'm not terribly savvy about these things, but as far as I am aware, a proxy bid is the way I often bid on the other side: i.e. I place the maximum I am prepared to pay; it will then go up in increments. This means I will frequently win an item for far less than my 'proxy' bid. Therefore, there is usually no need to change my maximum bid. But should I feel the need it is easily done.

Have I understood that correctly?

I usually use a BIN for anything I wish to buy on eBid, but assumed it would work the same way on here.

Please don't shout if I am making an idiot of myself - explain nicely for me and all the other numpties.
    You're not making an idiot of yourself, that's all correct except that you can't change your maximum proxy bid.

It certainly is important to be sure one understands how each auction site works. I know people who, having used feebay and being familiar with proxy bidding, assumed this is the case everywhere. They were rudely awakened when using a certain TV auction site where your full bid is immediately taken.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pink_Panther View Post
    If I accidentally entered a max bid of $100 and was unable to change it, I would be over the moon if someone thought it was worth bidding over $100.

None of this however has any real bearing on the issue except to highlight why this proposal would be useful!
    Again, I believe BEFORE any other bids are placed we should be allowed to decrease a max bid.
    Or they could add" confirm max bid amount, then please confirm max bid amount and are you sure of your max bid amount."

Forum Saint
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johnwash1 View Post
    I'm not at all sure you understand what he's been stating.

On a busy auction site (ok, I admit some might feel I'm in fantasy land now, if we're restricting this to ebid) another bid might come in within seconds, or even milliseconds of the typo'd bid being made.

It isn't those who are logical enough to figure out their max and bid it, without typos or change of heart, that we're trying to help with this proposal. It's about making the site more friendly, though without subverting the basic fundamentals of an auction site. Maybe you have trouble understanding that because you're an experienced clued-up user and have difficulty empathising with a beginner.

I've even had a sale to someone with severe mental problems, who liked to buy small things to assert her independence, and I was quietly asked by her fiancee to be patient during some little difficulty. It all came good in the end. I mention it as an example of the diversity that you need to consider.

No. Throwing up a daft utterly different proposal as a way of arguing against the current proposal is unworthy of you. I'm sure that rhetorical device has a name, but it escapes me for the moment. It's the kind of thing I expect from politicians, not thinking people.
    Don't much appreciate the "daft" remark it was uncalled for. Merely trying to make a point. Do I sympathise with beginners? Yes, of course I do and is why I suggested asking to confirm the bid amount 3 or 4 times prior to the bid being accepted.
    The problem I see is placing a max bid of let's say $100 but the intent was let's say $20. Another bidder comes in bids to $30 then gives up. Original bidder then lowers his max bid to $30 but only intended to pay no more than $20. Why is this fair to other bidders?

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

The problem I see is placing a max bid of let's say $100 but the intent was let's say $20. Another bidder comes in bids to $30 then gives up. Original bidder then lowers his max bid to $30 but only intended to pay no more than $20. Why is this fair to other bidders?
    Because the original bidder has won the item by paying $30 for it and nobody else was willing to pay more.

If the original bidder had placed a maximum proxy bid of $100, won the item for $30, why on Earth would they they want (even if it were possible after winning) to lower their maximum proxy bid?

I'm not sure what you are on, but could you send me some?

Forum Saint
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    Because the original bidder has won the item by paying $30 for it and nobody else was willing to pay more.

If the original bidder had placed a maximum proxy bid of $100, won the item for $30, why on Earth would they they want (even if it were possible after winning) to lower their maximum proxy bid?

I'm not sure what you are on, but could you send me some?
    Could have been won at $20

View sherlock07's Feedback (+301)
    All-About sherlock07
    View sherlock07's Listings
    Forum Posts

The way I am seeing it, might be a bit simplistic, but the person who has placed a proxy bid, is ALWAYS the highest bidder until the upper limit is reached.

So by reducing the proxy bid to whatever the highest bid is will not affect anybody, just means the bidder has stoped putting their hand up.

Sherlock's Watches Store ~ Great Watches for the Family
    Sherlock's Bazaar
    ~ General Store

All-About astral276
    Forum Posts

Could have been won at $20
    No it couldn't as the second bidder was willing to pay (and bid) $30.

The first bidder wouldn't be able to lower their max proxy bid instruction to $30 anyway, because as soon as the second bidder placed the $30 bid the proxy bidding system would have made a proxy bid to the next bidding increment. The first bidder would not be able to lower their max proxy bid to less than that amount.

All your example proves is that you do not understand how proxy bidding works.

Forum Saint
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    No it couldn't as the second bidder was willing to pay (and bid) $30.

The first bidder wouldn't be able to lower their max proxy bid instruction to $30 anyway, because as soon as the second bidder placed the $30 bid the proxy bidding system would have made a proxy bid to the next bidding increment. The first bidder would not be able to lower their max proxy bid to less than that amount.

All your example proves is that you do not understand how proxy bidding works.
    If the max bid was the intended bid, it could have been won for $20 well $21 anyway. This isn't rocket science really.

All-About astral276
    Forum Posts

If the max bid was the intended bid, it could have been won for $20 well $21 anyway. This isn't rocket science really.
    Whatever, I give up with you.

Thread Information