eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Posting Vintage Jewellery Overseas- best options?

Question Posting Vintage Jewellery Overseas- best options?

Yes,sorry- me again with another question I'm afraid !

Sellers of modern, Vintage costume and Vintage fine jewellery please help me out on this one. I have just spent ages on the phone with Royal Mail and another age on their website trying to figure out what I need to do and have been going round in circles. I want to know if jewellery items are actually covered for compensation when sent to the USA ...there was a mention that the sending of jewellery is restricted due to certain conditions but I cannot find what those conditions are after being redirected to the postal workers union website and usps and am still none the wiser.

on the main Royal Mail website you have the option of international signed for,which is only tracked within the UK but does get the signature,or airsure which gives delivery confirmation but does not get a signature- it tells you that either is what you need to do do send money or jewellery,but then states that you have to check individual countries rules and that is when the info becomes hard to find.

What I am concerned about is sending an item overseas, it going missing and then being told that I can't claim as it should not have been sent through the post in the first place. This happened to me sending within the uk.when I thought I had done everything right.

Please let me know what you do and whether or not you have had any problems? Also which countries do you get the most interest from with your items?

Thanks in advance :-)

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Posting Vintage Jewellery Overseas- best options?

Can not address the regulations on shipping "fine jewelry" (silver, gold, platinum,etc.) but USA regulations that I have read seem to indicate restrictions across many countries. I have thinned down countries I ship precious metals (jewelry or coins), based on the regulations I can find. Perhaps someone familiar with your side of the pond can address that. I also send via registered mail, which is required and costly. There is tracking available for this and other shipping methods also. I do not think costume jewelry should be an issue.

I see some sellers shipping these types of items using standard shipping like first class international, without registered mail. I would not try it myself, not worth the hassle if intercepted by customs. I also include a statement in "My About Me Page" and on my listings, requesting bidders/buyers to familiarize themselves with their countries shipping regulations before trying to buy the listing.

Thanks for your response...it's a bit of a minefield and they do seem to deliberately make information hard to find ! Hopefully a UK seller will come along shortly with their findings :-)

*Bump* Anybody ??

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

So far, I can only find this link on Royal Mail's website:

http://www.royalmail.com/personal/he...llery-overseas

Quote Originally Posted by Anniemcc2 View Post
    So far, I can only find this link on Royal Mail's website:

http://www.royalmail.com/personal/he...llery-overseas
    Thanks...yes that's the one I found so I called them for more clarification but they just said I had to look on each country's rules but was sent to a useless link where I couldn't find out anything more detailed.

View MPS16's Feedback (+3501)
    All-About MPS16
    View MPS16's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LovesVintage43 View Post
    Thanks...yes that's the one I found so I called them for more clarification but they just said I had to look on each country's rules but was sent to a useless link where I couldn't find out anything more detailed.
    Have you looked here

There are 30 countries on the drop down list.

http://www.royalmail.com/personal/international-delivery/country-guides

Last edited by MPS16; 21st August 2013 at 11:21 AM.
    Please Visit My Stores

Meccano Shop
    Postcards Shop
    Stamps Shop
    DVD Shop

I'm free-I'm free
    And freedom tastes of reality
    I'm free-I'm free
    And I'm waiting for you to follow me

TOMMY

I have used International Signed For. It's pretty expensive and all packages are signed for but not necessarily by the addressee. However, the USA is on the list of countries that track the parcel after it leaves the UK.
    If you do have to make a claim then the Royal Mail will request the signature from that country's postal service. You can also increase compensation to £500 at an extra cost.
    Some information here;
    http://www.royalmail.com/parcel-desp...50038-19350034
    I was also told how it works by the Post Office after I tried to get a better service for Lithuania after parcel to my friend kept getting lost.

Not tried Airsure.

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Don't know about things on the other side of the pond, but here in the U.S. as long as the customs form is filled out I've shipped both costume and fine jewelry abroad without issue, (to the UK, Sweden, Canada and Italy). I don't normally require insurance, but if the purchases total over $100 USD I purchase USPS postal insurance just as a safeguard; from the above post it looks as if Royal Mail has similar coverage, you might want to look into this.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

Quote Originally Posted by MPS16 View Post
    Have you looked here

There are 30 countries on the drop down list.

http://www.royalmail.com/personal/international-delivery/country-guides

Thanks- yes, this is the one I was looking on ! It has jewellery in the list of restricted items and a link to the postal workers union to get clarification and of course, I can't find anything on there about it. Thanks for all your help everybody...I have checked through Royal Mails' website thoroughly, but was really hoping that somebody on here who deals with this regularly may come along and advise...I'm loathe to go ahead and get caught out like I did before!

Thread Information