Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about buying and selling stamps, coins, banknotes

Default Questions about buying and selling stamps, coins, banknotes

I've recently closed my listings and I am in the process of changing around my stores, giving some of my items to charity and just generally reorganizing things.

Before I start listing again ....

From reading threads on the boards here, I understand that there are various countries that don't allow the import of coins and currency etc? I had tried to do an internet search to learn more, but couldn't seem to find anything.

Today I learned that PayPal has a an issue with items from certain countries. Sudan, Iran, North Korea, Cuba. So be it. I have some coins from Sudan and Cuba to re-list. Guess I won't offer PayPal on those items.

Can anyone help with more information about these regulations? Where I could find more on-line? Are there any more rules and regulations that a seller needs to be aware of when listing these items?

Forum Saint
    View Oldandintheway's Feedback (+385)
    All-About Oldandintheway
    View Oldandintheway's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Questions about buying and selling stamps, coins, banknotes

G'day Marie, Don't think there is a central location to find this info?
    I think you'd have to search each individual countries Customs office web site.
    Here is a link to the Oz departments list of Prohibited imports.
    Hope this helps & good luck with the reorganization, Allen.

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rc...,d.aGc&cad=rja

Here is the link to USPS Prohibitions by country, it may offer some insight.
    http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/il_007.htm

At the moment eBid only gives us the ability to select or block 22 specific countries for each listing. Except for those, we are restricted to selecting or blocking ALL the other countries in each continent. For example, I block North America, but select Canada; the U.S. is automatically included.

I started working on a matrix of what is prohibited or limited in various countries and stopped when I realized it won't do me any good. There are stringent import restrictions in MANY countries. I now block all sales to Asia (sadly, that excludes Japan), Africa, North America, and South America. I also block Brazil on the grid of 22 countries, because they prohibit the import of all used items, which pretty much means all collectibles.

Forum Newbie
    View nicegreensocks's Feedback (+317)
    All-About nicegreensocks
    View nicegreensocks's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi, As a buyer who tried to make payment to a seller on Ebid, in my own country of Australia, for 99 cents for used pre 1960's stamps from a country Starting with C, through PayPal, i have been banned from using my PayPal account.
    please check out stamp borad posting on this matter
    http://www.stampcommunity.org/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31858.
    My advice is to any sellers avoid selling anything from these countries to keep your PayPal account
    regards and happy trading. Bob.

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Have found a few USPS sites helpful

http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/immidx.htm

http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/welcome.htm

Also include a statement on listings requesting buyer to familiarize themselves with their countries shipping regulations, etc., before bidding or buying.

The postal regs are extensive; and after removing a number of countries first go round; had to remove at least 50% during second review. Many countries restrict buying/selling of precious metals, coins, banknotes, etc. The regs are not stagnant, and the restrictions continue to grow, that is why I like to add the statement to my listings, and my "About Me Page".

You're welcome! Like Tia mentioned, I also created a grid for the items I sell most often and noted which countries restrict the items. That way I only had to go through the document in its entirety once and now only refer to it when I sell something not on my grid.

Tia, it was actually a post that you started that alerted me to the fact that some countries have import restrictions on coins etc. Thank you.

:-)

I don't select the continent here on eBid either, but pick and choose the countries I want to send to.

Thread Information