Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Question about antique lace- advice needed

Question Question about antique lace- advice needed

Hello all you crafty people !
    I have a question regarding some beautiful black antique lace that I have inherited from my great aunt. She told me it was originally harvested from a dismantled Victorian gown...I have strips of the lace, sleeves, and hand stitched crocheted discs and sequin, seed bead & paste trims and ornate buttons which she cut from the gown but never used. Although the lace has been stored in bags and is in excellent condition, it
    has aquired a musty odour and I would like to sell this lace on, but need to sort this out first. Can anyone give advice on how I can safely freshen it up wthout shrinking or ruining it? Many thanks in advance !

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Question about antique lace- advice needed

Wow, thanks for that...ok I am going to try and air it out first to see if that helps :-)

Forum Saint
    Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom
    View meebo1's Feedback (+7886)
    All-About meebo1
    View meebo1's Listings
    Forum Posts

I had an antique lace altar cloth. As I was new to the world of lace I used it and when necessary washed it - in the washing machine. I showed it to my lace teacher one day and when she heard what I had done she nearly fainted. She told me it was probably 150 - 200 years old. Well it survived the modern washing method unscathed and we sold it via auction a bit later. But I don't recommend this, just wanted to share

Funny thing is...it probably would survive the washing machine! I wonder how they used to clean their gowns back then...I mean, there were no dry cleaners! Maybe they just wore them until they got smelly...all the other stuff used to just get boiled and wrung through a mangle then ironed with those old hot irons...these days everything has 40 or handwash on it!!

View purplestevie's Feedback (+8205)
    All-About purplestevie
    View purplestevie's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LovesVintage43 View Post
    Funny thing is...it probably would survive the washing machine! I wonder how they used to clean their gowns back then...I mean, there were no dry cleaners! Maybe they just wore them until they got smelly...all the other stuff used to just get boiled and wrung through a mangle then ironed with those old hot irons...these days everything has 40 or handwash on it!!
    Are you selling the buttons too ?

Quote Originally Posted by purplestevie View Post
    Are you selling the buttons too ?
    Yes I will be. I have to go through everything and sort it all out as it is all jumbled together and in different bags...bit of a nightmare ! I don't know how many of each thing I have as it's all dotted around. *sigh*

Thread Information