eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: One potential reason why eBid

Forum Newbie
    All-About Montblanc200
    View Montblanc200's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default One potential reason why eBid

I've been with eBay for 13 years and teach an adult education class on it. As you all know the fees are very high and sellers are looking for other venues. I hear sellers complain that other sites don't have the buyer volume, but this didn't make sense to me.

Please forgive me if I am off base here, I just signed up on eBid to ask this question (though I may consider selling on here).

If you are paying 3% vs 13% in fees would you not be able to charge less and snatch considerable traffic from the site with higher fees in a pretty short time frame?

Yet, when I checked one particular item, the lowest price on here (out of more than 10 being offered) was more than 30% higher than many, many auctions on the other site and this a problem if you want to grow business on here. I know this isn't a very scientific approach but the results are very curious.

Comments?
    Last edited by Mark; 4th July 2013 at 11:29 PM.

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: One potential reason why eBid is not getting enough traffic (not the obvious one)

You are absolutely correct, but it is not eBid's fault that there are some greedy sellers trying to sell items at a higher price than elsewhere and there is nothing eBid can do about it. Only thing I could suggest to buyers is to confront the seller by asking obvious questions using the ask seller feature and hopefully 'educate' them a little.

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: One potential reason why eBid is not getting enough traffic (not the obvious one)

OP
    A good suggestion.
    But many us know that somr sellers are putting high prices on their ebid items.

There is no logic in this, as ebid has less buyers, so you should be trying to attract them.

But as Jewel says, there is nothing ebid can do about it.
    I am sure that other sites and ebay have sellers that price things unrealistically.

This is what you get when you have a free society and an auction site that anyone can join.
    Just as ebid cannot force sellers to answer question or send the goods the next day.

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Montblanc200 View Post

If you are paying 3% vs 13% in fees would you not be able to charge less and snatch considerable traffic from the site with higher fees in a pretty short time frame?
    Yes, if your items get seen!

Forum Lurker
    View stampsandcoins1's Feedback (+272)
    All-About stampsandcoins1
    View stampsandcoins1's Listings
    Forum Posts

I've been with eBay for 13 years and teach an adult education class on it. As you all know the fees are very high and sellers are looking for other venues. I hear sellers complain that other sites don't have the buyer volume, but this didn't make sense to me.

Please forgive me if I am off base here, I just signed up on eBid to ask this question (though I may consider selling on here).

Yet, when I checked one particular item, the lowest price on here (out of more than 10 being offered) was more than 30% higher than many, many auctions on the other site and this a problem if you want to grow business on here. I know this isn't a very scientific approach but the results are very curious.

Comments?
    Good point, I price al my items to sell and at well under market value (forget catalogue prices, that is just a fantasy) but sales are still slow. I agree ebid charge only 2% FVF but Paypal take up to 10% with a minimum of 26p. All my items are low ticket but we are still looking at combined fees of around 12%. The bay still haunts as they own paypal. Gumtree will be next as the bay has just bought them out.
    Alan

stampsandcoins1.ebid.net/

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View bluebedouin's Feedback (+107)
    All-About bluebedouin
    View bluebedouin's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stampsandcoins1 View Post
    .... Gumtree will be next as the bay has just bought them out.
    I think you'll find Gumtree were bought by greedbay some years ago!

Comments?
    The process of selling is quite simple and logical, often made completely illogical and over-complicated by the seller. Pricing is a small part of that (as per your example).

The forum has been consistently entertained by sellers complaining about no sales when trying to charge anything up to 8 times the price that their item has not sold for on the bay. Or even the other way around: removing listings from here and putting them on the bay, then coming back to boast about the items selling - albeit selling at a fraction of the price that they were on eBid.

Whilst pricing is small part of the selling process - it can be the most important and damaging component if it is not right.

Forum Newbie
    All-About Montblanc200
    View Montblanc200's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deanosaur1972 View Post
    The process of selling is quite simple and logical, often made completely illogical and over-complicated by the seller. Pricing is a small part of that (as per your example).

The forum has been consistently entertained by sellers complaining about no sales when trying to charge anything up to 8 times the price that their item has not sold for on the bay. Or even the other way around: removing listings from here and putting them on the bay, then coming back to boast about the items selling - albeit selling at a fraction of the price that they were on eBid.

Whilst pricing is small part of the selling process - it can be the most important and damaging component if it is not right.
    Interesting and very confusing, is there some sort of emotional component to this? I heard this comment in another forum outside eBid, that many sellers who come on here do so because they are mad at eBay, not because they are seriously looking for an alternative way of doing business.

I will definitely test the market on here (for both buying/selling), curious to see how it will play out.

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31364)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

Ebay has its high price sellers as well, but are less conspicuous because of the volume of competition.

My solution is to sell at good value myself and ignore the others.

Comments?
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

This does happen, and frequently by sellers who also sell on eBay. But a bit of simple maths would show them that they can sell at least 5% cheaper on eBid and still raise their margins, which for me is a total no brainer.

On the subject of prices I always check what others are selling for when listing. Recently I have noticed some absolutely crazy prices on Amazon. One item I listed at £4.99 and others sell for slightly more was listed at $125, another I listed at £19.99 was listed at $130 and there have been others at around 1000% of the going rate.

Thread Information