Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: more reposting woes

View 20sent06's Feedback (+11873)
    All-About 20sent06
    View 20sent06's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default more reposting woes

Further to an earlier thread where duplicate listings can slip through on a Repost action, I have decided to Delete ALL my current unsold listings as they are (I hope!) already re-listed and current - that way I will not confuse myself any more until a fix (more hope!) is in place to prevent duplicates occuring during reposting.

But there's more!

change request one:

In the My Selling sidebar, when 'Auctions unsold' option is selected and then the 'All Delete' button keyed - it is then necessary to go to the bottom of the page to hit the 'Delete/Repost' to carry out the action - and then for just (one page of 50) at a time.

Can this button be available at the top of the page as well as the page numbers (from a recent thread too) + an option to view more than 50 per page.........

change request two:

Once a Delete/Repost Option is made the user is then taken to a confirmation page and invited to 'click back' in order to 'return to your closed listings' - but, this is not always where you would want to return to - it would be far better to 'click back' to the auction page(s) you were on previously.

I hope these requests make sense and are achievable.

View youmeus's Feedback (+203)
    All-About youmeus
    View youmeus's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: more reposting woes

If you haven't already deleted the auctions you might try relisting then sorting alphabeticly and you should be able to see duplicates with a quick scan. That would take out the work of manually relisting.

Rhondda Cynon Taf, Rhondda Cynon Taff, United Kingdom
    View Trinakarenmille's Feedback (+2574)
    All-About Trinakarenmille
    View Trinakarenmille's Listings
    Forum Posts

At times I have also had a problem with duplicated listing.
    What I do every now & then is go to my items listed, theres a sort menu box.
    I click on auction title, your listings will then come up in title order, that way you can find any duplicates you may have.

Forum Saint
    View Oldandintheway's Feedback (+385)
    All-About Oldandintheway
    View Oldandintheway's Listings
    Forum Posts

I have just found & deleted an item I sold several months ago!
    Have no idea how that could happen, as it was fully finalized with feedback's & all!
    Thankfully, nobody else bid - 'cause I don't have any more of them.

This is what I do.............. and I know that others also do.

Particularly useful for those with large numbers of listings:

Export your listings

I use on OpenOffice Calc which is a free spreadsheet so these instructions apply to that program.

Open up the exported data into OpenOffice Calc.

Delete all the columns apart from the one with the listing titles.

Select "Sort" from the "Data" menu. Sort the data in your spreadsheet by column A to check for duplicate values. You should only have data in column A.

*Deliberately duplicate a title by copying an pasting a title in a new row. This means you will know at the end whether you have completed the process correctly. ie: If your deliberate duplicate doesn't show up - you have done it wrong.

Select the first empty cell in the next column which will be B1. You will use this cell's column to identify duplicate values in column A. Type "=IF(A1=A2;1;0)" without quotes into the cell and press "Enter." This is the formula that will check for duplicate rows and display a "1" in the cell if a row is duplicated.

Select B1 and press "Ctrl" and "C" to copy the data. Highlight the B column from B1 to the last row in your data range. Press "Ctrl" and "V" to paste the formula into each cell. All duplicate rows will now be marked with a "1."

Select the B column data range from B1 to the last row. Press "Ctrl" and "C" to copy the data. Press "Ctrl," "Shift" and "V" to open the "Paste Special" dialogue. Select the "Numbers" option and deselect all other options. Press "OK." This will get rid of the formula and leave just the numbers 0's and 1's and allow you to sort the data in your table by the B column to quickly identify the duplicate rows.

Select your entire data range again, including the B column. Select "Sort" from the "Data" menu. Sort your data by the B column and choose "Descending." All duplicate rows will appear at the top of your spreadsheet. So you should have at least one with the deliberate duplicate - any others that appear and they are the one's to investigate.

It takes a couple of minutes a week to do a check, maybe a bit longer until you get used to it, or maybe a hell of a lot longer if I have messed up the instructions.

View madelaine's Feedback (+5872)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

I shall be trying that, Dean. Thanks

Currently, in an attempt to spot the random (it seems) reposting of auctions which I have definitely not reposted, I keep my listings to a total number divisible by 5. I also export listings every evening so I have a correct file if I spot a mistake.

If the number is not divisible by 5 and I have had no sales, there will be a witch hunt!

And please tell support if you have reposts which you have not done - they will start by telling you that you did it, but persist!
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

View 20sent06's Feedback (+11873)
    All-About 20sent06
    View 20sent06's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 20sent06 View Post
    Further to an earlier thread where duplicate listings can slip through on a Repost action, I have decided to Delete ALL my current unsold listings as they are (I hope!) already re-listed and current - that way I will not confuse myself any more until a fix (more hope!) is in place to prevent duplicates occuring during reposting.

But there's more!

change request one:

In the My Selling sidebar, when 'Auctions unsold' option is selected and then the 'All Delete' button keyed - it is then necessary to go to the bottom of the page to hit the 'Delete/Repost' to carry out the action - and then for just (one page of 50) at a time.

Can this button be available at the top of the page as well as the page numbers (from a recent thread too) + an option to view more than 50 per page.........

change request two:

Once a Delete/Repost Option is made the user is then taken to a confirmation page and invited to 'click back' in order to 'return to your closed listings' - but, this is not always where you would want to return to - it would be far better to 'click back' to the auction page(s) you were on previously.

I hope these requests make sense and are achievable.
    Many thanks to all with useful and helpful suggestions - especially Dean on his Spreadsheet option: with large numbers of listings this is particularly useful - but is still a chore which can be avoided + the investigation is time consuming and not always foolproof.

The changes are still needed

In the meantime - the simplest method for me to safeguard against duplicates is once they are reposted, delete from the unsold list straight away.

As the are now current, an unsold copy listing isn't necessary - you can of course copy out to spreadsheet beforehand if need be.

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10028)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by youmeus View Post
    If you check delete all and repost all it can be done in one step.
    This works for me.

Thread Information