eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: every one on ebid or joining ebid

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: every one on ebid or joining ebid

I have been watching and recording some sites Alexa ratings for 3 or 4 years now.

Ebid's global ranking has gone from 12,000 up to 6,000 and then steadily down to 18,000

The other 2 major alts in the USA have global rankings of about 6,000 and 8,000, and the niche handmade site has a ranking of 187.
    Last edited by Juliebabe25; 25th May 2013 at 02:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Juliebabe25 View Post
    I have been watching and recording some sites Alexa ratings fro 3 or 4 years now.

Ebid's global ranking has gone from 12,000 up to 6,000 and then steadily down to 18,000

The other 2 major alts in the USA have global rankings of about 6,000 and 8,000, and the niche handmade site has a ranking of 187.
    3 to 4 years............ what a waste!

The alexa ranking is not even remotely accurate to eBid traffic stats. Alexa is only able to monitor traffic where the visitor has a downloaded the Alexa toolbar - can't think why any of my buyers would want a useless toolbar that snoops on their browsing habits. So therefore all my traffic is excluded from the Alexa stats as is almost all sellers traffic on eBid. Last November produced an almighty jump in visitors to eBid - records all over the place...... Alexa rank still went down.

All the Alexa ranking means is: that if it goes down then less people are using their toolbar (thankfully this is usually the case) and if the ranking goes up then more people are downloading their toolbar - so a deeply flawed system that has no real basis to determine traffic within eBid

There are companies both in China and India who can be paid money to increase rankings - teams of people with useless toolbars who are instructed to visit if the price is right.

The Alexa rankings are meaningless rubbish.

Forum Master
    View DZAMBO's Feedback (+480)
    All-About DZAMBO
    View DZAMBO's Listings
    Forum Posts

Well…’’Dean’’…what did you think how is ‘’high’’ traffic on eBid…?
    And how much money peoples make it in here on ‘’average’’ from that traffic…?
    And top of that how much money eBid make it for profit in end of year…?
    I mean you’re good to ‘’track’’ anything…so…’’show us’’ a little bit that statistics…
    Thanks in advance….....

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBridger View Post
    Ebid has that ad there as they make a lot more of their money from new sellers signing up than they do from the commissions from selling.
    Now there's an interesting comment. "They make more money by new sellers signing up". I believe that could be a possibility. But that defeats the purpose of this site. Have plenty of sellers but not enough buyers. The US 1920's market crashed because there was a greater supply of goods to be sold, but there was not enough of a demand for those goods. It could have a similar affect with eBid if that's their goal. If this is the goal then it won't work, because during the time they are trying to get the sellers, eBay is lassoing in the buyers. And as we know, the seller will follow the buyer. I'm here selling as well as other sites too. I would not attempt to put all of my eggs in one basket here or at a couple of the other ones. I would put that basket where the customers are in great numbers. But my business is in the faze that I can take some time to test the waters elsewhere.

I would like to see eBid bring in more traffic. It's been here for 14 years. Can't say that there's a crowd breaking down the doors. A lot of customers like the eBay/PayPal buyers protection and that's why they shop there. They feel secure knowing that someone has their back. Their fees are higher and their policy sometimes are hard on sellers, but the percentage of selling is far greater than eBid and Webstore combined.

But I have hope for eBid and any other entity I'm dealing at. That's where I do business.

I almost forgot. The Google adds we see here are also a form of revenue for eBid too. I and the Mrs. use Google Adsense to make a little extra cash.
    Last edited by CopperLocker; 25th May 2013 at 12:32 AM.

All-About Juliebabe25
    Forum Posts

Alexa themselves, say that as the ranking get slower, it is more inaccurate due to less Alexa visits etc

But if Alexa reports the top 100 websites in a fairly correct manner, then the overall trends of other site sis probably fairly correct.

Combine that with two other ranking sites that show a similar picture, nearly empty forums, and less new members than last year and I a rest my case.

And the fact that ebid can handle its traffic and sales etc with x number of staff and ebay needs thousands of staff the handle theirs.

My point is that ebid is stuck in the doldrums and needs a major lift.

Quote Originally Posted by Juliebabe25 View Post
    Alexa themselves, say that as the ranking get slower, it is more inaccurate due to less Alexa visits etc

But if Alexa reports the top 100 websites in a fairly correct manner, then the overall trends of other site sis probably fairly correct.

Combine that with two other ranking sites that show a similar picture, nearly empty forums, and less new members than last year and I a rest my case.

And the fact that ebid can handle its traffic and sales etc with x number of staff and ebay needs thousands of staff the handle theirs.

My point is that ebid is stuck in the doldrums and needs a major lift.

I think if you are resting your case you are on the wrong platform.

The alexa stats as you have been told many times before for the last 3 or more years (by many people) provide no indication of traffic into eBid at all - it is meaningless nonsense. The fact that the other two ranking sites show a similar picture is of no surprise because they also require downloaded codes - again why would any of my buyers (or any sellers buyers on eBid) decide to download a meaningless code or toolbar to enable companies to snoop on their browsing habits.

Sales and traffic have hit records over the last 6 months - but as no-one of any consequence has any of these downloaded toolbars and codes then the rankings go down = the rankings are meaningless.

I had 227 sales in March (which was my best ever) and also record unique visitors in March - the rankings sites said eBid got quieter! As all my buyers do not have a useless toolbar or downloaded code then none of those visits to my listings were recorded by them.

If the rankings go up - all it means is more people are using the toolbars and codes, it does not mean that traffic has gone up. If the rankings go down then more people are not using the toolbars and codes, there is no correlation between rank and ebid traffic.

The rankings are complete flawed nonsense.

All-About Juliebabe25
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deanosaur1972 View Post
    Sales and traffic have hit records over the last 6 months - but as no-one of any consequence has any of these downloaded toolbars and codes then the rankings go down = the rankings are meaningless.
    How do you know that sales and traffic have gone up in the last 6 months?
    Can you give us any figures ? (for ebid - not your sales)

Both sell and buy need to feel protect. What I have read is it is very one sided at the bay. Sellers are getting screwed every which way. Feedback is used like a weapon by many. They, I read always stick up for buy no matter what and it can really hurt the sell for long term. My huge contention is Corps vs small sell bottom line. I feel like they should not even be allowed. They have all ad antages and these places should be for the wee guy. Happy Sales to All !

Quote Originally Posted by CopperLocker View Post
    Now there's an interesting comment. "They make more money by new sellers signing up". I believe that could be a possibility. But that defeats the purpose of this site. Have plenty of sellers but not enough buyers. The US 1920's market crashed because there was a greater supply of goods to be sold, but there was not enough of a demand for those goods. It could have a similar affect with eBid if that's their goal. If this is the goal then it won't work, because during the time they are trying to get the sellers, eBay is lassoing in the buyers. And as we know, the seller will follow the buyer. I'm here selling as well as other sites too. I would not attempt to put all of my eggs in one basket here or at a couple of the other ones. I would put that basket where the customers are in great numbers. But my business is in the faze that I can take some time to test the waters elsewhere.

I would like to see eBid bring in more traffic. It's been here for 14 years. Can't say that there's a crowd breaking down the doors. A lot of customers like the eBay/PayPal buyers protection and that's why they shop there. They feel secure knowing that someone has their back. Their fees are higher and their policy sometimes are hard on sellers, but the percentage of selling is far greater than eBid and Webstore combined.

But I have hope for eBid and any other entity I'm dealing at. That's where I do business.

I almost forgot. The Google adds we see here are also a form of revenue for eBid too. I and the Mrs. use Google Adsense to make a little extra cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebideclectics View Post
    Both sell and buy need to feel protect. What I have read is it is very one sided at the bay. Sellers are getting screwed every which way. Feedback is used like a weapon by many. They, I read always stick up for buy no matter what and it can really hurt the sell for long term. My huge contention is Corps vs small sell bottom line. I feel like they should not even be allowed. They have all ad antages and these places should be for the wee guy. Happy Sales to All !
    Whats funny is I'm a small time seller as many others and true I've read the horror stories on eBay, about the buyer getting the better. But I still deal on the bay and I had only one issue years ago and that's because I didn't take the extra steps to use delivery confirmation through PayPal. Now I take the all and any extra steps. Not just for me, but especially for the customers. Like the pony express. The mail must arrive

I've also read horror stories here too. I've read more about buyers than I have read about sellers being the issue. But no matter who is at fault, we only know what the circumstances are by the story that being is told to us. The way I figure it, if I judged the buying and selling by all the bad stories, I would buy a little cart and sell on the streets and give up on the net. But I'm not and I wont, just like many others.

But since this is more of a topic about the stats, maybe it should be moved to another category. But since this is about promoting then here's a good way of putting it I think.

Don't give a da_m about the stats of others. Unless your a pro gambler, a statistician or you're planning a hostile take over of your competitor. Give all you can to your business and a little extra. I know it hard sometimes. I even fall prey to the thought of if it's worth it? Tell who ever you can that you're out there and selling. Some say social networking isn't worth the effort. What do they know? Remember that most businesses fail because of management. If you are the full work force for your business or what you do to make money, then your the team that will make or break it.
    So promote you fanny off when ever you can. Say a word to someone! Put up a posting somewhere! Stand on a soapbox and yell through a megaphone. But promote yourself. If you sit silently in the corner, you won't be seen!

Good luck with every ones buying and selling!

Forum Master
    View DZAMBO's Feedback (+480)
    All-About DZAMBO
    View DZAMBO's Listings
    Forum Posts

Well…to do that I must ‘’quit’’ my own job…..
    And still no guarantee I will make same or more from online sales rather to work real job…
    But for a minimum $100.00 or more per day ‘’maybe’’ I will bother with online sales ‘’again’’…
    And ‘’of course’’ not paying tax on that…and not using gas for my cars for how much use now….
    Listing ‘’couple’’ items for fun it’s no big deal…but listing thousand and spending most of my personal time to promote that and going all around and considering many peoples selling exactly what I selling will be very big job to go trough…
    But again who has ‘’that time’’ daily can try…I will wish him luck…

Thread Information