Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emergency Backup

Smile Emergency Backup

I read a post about a buyer who is dealing with a seller that had a heart attack. I'm sure they will work the situation out, but as an independent dealer, it did make me think about what would I do in case I was the one who became hospitalized. So I thought I would through this out here and if there are any other thoughts we can combine our intelligence and come up with a good backup plan for other sellers to consider.

• Have someone you can trust turn off all active and scheduled auctions/listings every where you do business. My wife can get on my system and she knows the passwords to the necessary selling sites. If something happens to both of you have one of your children step in if that's a possibility. Have a backup for the backup.
    • If not a wife or husband, a trusted family member or relative is recommended. Second is a close and capable friend that can assist you in your time of need.
    • Have them contact all the customers whose orders are pending and explain that they are representing you during this critical time. They should explain that the buyers shipment will be late and the possible date of shipment. If the customer agrees with this then it's a done deal. If your assistant can do the shipping that's a perk, but that might will take a little more work on their part if they don't mind. If there is a request for a refund and you do give refunds then your assistant will have to handle your monies.
    • If you use a payment gateway such a PayPal, Google Checkout or so on, then your assistant will have to be allowed to access that account to proceed with the requested refunds. Most smaller dealers use this type of payment program for convenience and because most selling sites offer one of these types of payment options. Have your assistant print out each refund record for your future referencing.

As I said, I'm set with the Mrs. Now it's time to wrangle in one of the kids and show them what needs to be done. I hope it is as easy as it sounds.

If you can tweak this for improvement, please by all means jump in. Hope this was worth the read

Have a great day
    Greg
    Last edited by CopperLocker; 20th April 2013 at 02:33 AM.

Forum Saint
    Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom
    View meebo1's Feedback (+7886)
    All-About meebo1
    View meebo1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Emergency Backup

I have a record of passwords to certain sites which might need to be accessed by someone else. Both OH and children have been told where to find the info.

Quote Originally Posted by meebo1 View Post
    I have a record of passwords to certain sites which might need to be accessed by someone else. Both OH and children have been told where to find the info.
    Kudos to your preparations..

Forum Saint
    Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom
    View meebo1's Feedback (+7886)
    All-About meebo1
    View meebo1's Listings
    Forum Posts

It started as a memory aid for me (the writing down bit) Telling others where to find the info came when jeweleffects ended up in hospital unexpectedly. I acted on the warning

(and you are working very hard to stop being a lurker)

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Funnily enough, we were talking about this just last night - would either of us know what to do as regards banking and passwords, etc. if one of us was hospitalised.

I'd be OK as I know his passwords, etc. - but if it was OH trying to sort stuff out .................... Going to have to take this further - and soon.

View madelaine's Feedback (+5872)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

I think I shall have to do something like this. I've also bought from a seller who actually died before the listing ended. The family were magnificent and managed to post all sold items out.
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

I think I need to do something like this as I got dragged into hospital one time with no warning, I do have things wrote down but no one but me would understand unless they were a code breaker or work for MI5

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buttons-and-bows View Post
    I think I need to do something like this as I got dragged into hospital one time with no warning, I do have things wrote down but no one but me would understand unless they were a code breaker or work for MI5
    LOL! I hear ya, mine are a bit complicated, too. Thanks for the heads up, need to sort this out myself one of these days.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

View sucadot's Feedback (+845)
    All-About sucadot
    View sucadot's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buttons-and-bows View Post
    I'm the same with passwords too Time to get them sorted/explained just in case!
    [SIGPIC]
    view my listings here

Chester - Le - Street, Durham, United Kingdom
    View Armstrongs's Feedback (+1436)
    All-About Armstrongs
    View Armstrongs's Listings
    Forum Posts

I deal with an absolute plethora of information for myself, my Mum, other relatives and of course business as well.

So, I bought a hard bound note book & created my very own internet "bible"

Every drip of information I have is in that book........and my daughters know where to find it.

Of course, i'd probably be bankrupt by the time I returned to the pooter!

Yvonne x

Look here for Crafty Bits

Find the Beamish Bazaar here!

I'M A YDC SUPPORTER!
    Find eBid's monthly charity auctions HERE on the 24th!

Thread Information