Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stamp Collectors .... a question please

Kingswinford, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View Bohemian's Feedback (+129)
    All-About Bohemian
    View Bohemian's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Stamp Collectors .... a question please

I don't use a drying book, but have heard of them - a heavy book with pages made of "blotting" type paper. I don't soak many stamps myself, but when I do, I use a little warm water, then leave them to dry on a piece of quality kitchen roll. Something like "Plenty" or "Bounty" will do the job. If you wanted to, you could "sandwich" the stamps between two sheets of kitchen roll, to help absorb the moisture.

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

So that's another item you cant buy on ebid!

Kingswinford, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View Bohemian's Feedback (+129)
    All-About Bohemian
    View Bohemian's Listings
    Forum Posts

To be fair, it is not really an "everyday item", it's the kind of thing that you only buy once !

Hi Gonzo and Bohemian. Thanks for the information.

Yes, from what I understand, Julie, these drying books are something that lasts for a long time. But you are right. If I choose to buy one, I didn't find it here on eBid.

I use one of those cheap plastic 5 draw filing draws that i bought from lidle when they were on offer.... line them with the super absorbent dishcloths (also from lidle) then soak stamps in water (cold water works just as well) lay them in the draws, leave for 24 hours then file in stockbooks until you are ready to list them.....

As a P.S. the same draws are deep enough to file standard size Ciggy & Trade Cards as well.

Forum Lurker
    View JDStamps's Feedback (+14452)
    All-About JDStamps
    View JDStamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi I have used many methods for removing paper from stamps-all of the previously mentioned methods work fine if you don't have too many to do or can afford to take a while!
    If you are working with valuable or old stamps (100+ years old), a good product is 'Stamplift'- as soaking can cause the colours to run and render your stamp worthless.
    I have just invested in an Electronic stamp drying press-great bit of kit, can process thousands of stamps a day, as the drying time is only 10 minutes per batch of about 100 stamps. Very pricey though, a new one will set you back about £220!
    Little tip if you are soaking self-adhesive stamps-you may be left with a very sticky residue after soaking, trying to rub it off will damage the stamp so use a little talcum powder on your fingertips-works a treat and your stamp smells good!
    You can make a Drying Book using good quality blotting paper and greaseproof paper, and a couple of hefty books on top!

Hope this helps
    All the best

John

View gonzo45's Feedback (+7459)
    All-About gonzo45
    View gonzo45's Listings
    Forum Posts

G'day JD,

Your stamp drying press sounds like a good thing, bit expensive for me though..

Talc works really well and I use it - often if I need to or not - on P&S stamps that I send in the mail.

I have not used "stamp lift" - I have used "white spirit / Dry cleaning fluid" - Maybe that is similar ?

Soaking stamps in Hot water Vs Cold water...........

Mostly I soak AUSTRALIAN P&S stamps in very hot water for a few seconds, use good quality "spade" type stamp tweezers, and wet fingers.

The later Australian stamps are quite robust, the ink does not run, the hot water softens the adhesive, and if the paper is removed from the stamp (not the stamp from the paper) usually the all the gum comes off.

However........ If you try the hot water method with SPANISH P&S stamps (for only a few seconds) the ink will come off and you will be left with a very sticky piece of white paper...

Whatever method is used - ALWAYS test a few less valuable stamps first....

John, have you found a good method for those pesky English P&S stamps with the "lift out" bits?

Cheers

Steve.

Thread Information