eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just shows how much ebay care whats sold on there site!!!!

Default Re: Just shows how much ebay care whats sold on there site!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hush77hush View Post
    That's True Damian
    But the comic in question this time the original is 74 years old and is one of the most famous comics ever so would be pretty well known to even someone with a slight passing knowledge of comic books.
    And the assumptions are that eBay staff members would A: review every listing just in case it includes a well known item, and B: would have such a passing knowledge of comic books that they would be aware of it being a famous comic book.

Please stop missing the point.

eBay staff cannot be expected to know the value, worth, originality, history, usefulness or otherwise of any item listed on their site.

If you were not into comics or even if you were buying for a friend/family member you should know one of the most famous comics in the world.
    What utter tosh.
    I haven't been into comics since I was about eight. I do not know, nor want to know, about this particular comic. I hadn't even thought whether there was an officially agreed on and recognised list of which comic is rarest or most valuable. These are not things that trouble me. I reckon I'm a fairly average person in that regard and would expect that most other people are much the same. So for you to presume that everybody should know of such things smacks of arrogance.

Damian the top ten list of comics which cclark is referring to is pretty much set in stone set mainly on the value of the comics in it. it won't change much in mine or you life time and it will always have the same top ten comics in it.
    So what? That has absolutely no bearing on whether Feebay staff can or can't be expected to instantly evaluate a listing for a comic, particularly when listings are not routinely reviewed (unless they have been reported - and even then the staff member is not going to be an expert in every field.)

Quote Originally Posted by damian_steele View Post
    And the assumptions are that eBay staff members would A: review every listing just in case it includes a well known item, and B: would have such a passing knowledge of comic books that they would be aware of it being a famous comic book.

Please stop missing the point.

eBay staff cannot be expected to know the value, worth, originality, history, usefulness or otherwise of any item listed on their site.

What utter tosh.
    I haven't been into comics since I was about eight. I do not know, nor want to know, about this particular comic. I hadn't even thought whether there was an officially agreed on and recognised list of which comic is rarest or most valuable. These are not things that trouble me. I reckon I'm a fairly average person in that regard and would expect that most other people are much the same. So for you to presume that everybody should know of such things smacks of arrogance.

So what? That has absolutely no bearing on whether Feebay staff can or can't be expected to instantly evaluate a listing for a comic, particularly when listings are not routinely reviewed (unless they have been reported - and even then the staff member is not going to be an expert in every field.)
    HMMMM looks like some one maybe spoiling for another posting argument me thinks. well there not gonna get one here the weather is to nice out and to be honest i can't be bothered with it.
    Damian I am not disagreeing with you I to think that ebay is to big to police and not all the joey's are experts of everything.The artist in the op did report it to ebay as should cclark should report this dodgy Action Comics #1.
    If you think I am talking tosh then fine its your opinion you won't get a rise out of it.
    Check out my shop for all your fav comic books
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/HUSHS-COMIC-BOOK-WORLD

Hush is barnching out check it out
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Hushs-Trading-Card-Shack

Check out my about me for some stuff about me.
    https://www.ebid.net/uk/users/hush77hush/all-about-me/
    or why not join my social group on the fourm pages.
    http://helpdesk.ebid.net/group.php?groupid=30

Why not follow me on Twitter.
    http://twitter.com/#!/hush77hush

View TonyBridger's Feedback (+252)
    All-About TonyBridger
    View TonyBridger's Listings
    Forum Posts

Having worked behind the scenes of a small auction site I know a lot of auctions items are reported as fake by other sellers just to get rid of the competition. Why should an auction believe an person is an expect just because they claim they are.

Also just because a seller s offers an article someone thinks is worth thousands for a few pounds does not mean the item is fake or scam. It could just mean the seller has no idea of its true value.
    My posts only state my own opinions, unless I've stolen them from someone else

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBridger View Post
    Having worked behind the scenes of a small auction site I know a lot of auctions items are reported as fake by other sellers just to get rid of the competition. Why should an auction believe an person is an expect just because they claim they are.

Also just because a seller s offers an article someone thinks is worth thousands for a few pounds does not mean the item is fake or scam. It could just mean the seller has no idea of its true value.
    Yeah I would understand that as have had the competition on the that site do me over a couple times but in the op the guy was not a competitor but the actual artist of the original surely that should have had some clout?
    All so get what your saying about the item being listed by someone not knowing the price but from experience if it sound to good to be true it usealy is. It would proberly help is we had a link to this action comic thingus to check out ourselves.

It does happen when somebody truly does not know the value of something. quite a few years ago on eBay somebody spotted a vase of some sort that was miss described. They bought it for about £100 and then put it into one of the big auction houses, where it sold for over £40,000.

On the point of who should spot them. It is down to potential or actual buyers to report. It would be impossible for the site owners to check every listing.

For this comic I might track it down and take a punt. If it was genuine I would be laughing all the way to the bank. A copy sold for $2.16 million, possibly by Nicholas Cage. That was a mint copy, but any copy is obviously worth a bit. If it is not genuine I can get my money back for as not described.

HMMMM looks like some one maybe spoiling for another posting argument me thinks.
    That is tosh, too. Had I wanted to turn this into a petty (and pointless) argument, there are a lot of other descriptions I could have used instead of the extremely mild (and actually quite friendly) "tosh".

I guess that you are one of the people who can't take it when someone challenges your assumptions or assertions.

Ah, well. It's not like there's any value to this, anyway.

That is tosh, too. Had I wanted to turn this into a petty (and pointless) argument, there are a lot of other descriptions I could have used instead of the extremely mild (and actually quite friendly) "tosh".

I guess that you are one of the people who can't take it when someone challenges your assumptions or assertions.

To be honest Damian I did agree with what you were saying You think me one of the those people that don't like it if you don't agree well again that's your opinion and your welcome to it. But it's not the case. The bit that you have quoted from last post is more to do with a posting argument I read a while back which you were involved in with another ebid forum member.
    As for the thread not be of any value again that's your opinion and a again you are welcome to it.

Quote Originally Posted by kreativebargains View Post
    It does happen when somebody truly does not know the value of something. quite a few years ago on eBay somebody spotted a vase of some sort that was miss described. They bought it for about £100 and then put it into one of the big auction houses, where it sold for over £40,000.

On the point of who should spot them. It is down to potential or actual buyers to report. It would be impossible for the site owners to check every listing.

For this comic I might track it down and take a punt. If it was genuine I would be laughing all the way to the bank. A copy sold for $2.16 million, possibly by Nicholas Cage. That was a mint copy, but any copy is obviously worth a bit. If it is not genuine I can get my money back for as not described.
    The more I think about it I would love to check the auction out even if it is a re-print one of those is coming up in price guides at the £30 mark.

To be honest Damian I did agree with what you were saying
    So you agree with me that it is pure tosh to assert that everyone should have knowledge of comic books? That, after all, is what I first referred to as tosh. This is what you said:

If you were not into comics or even if you were buying for a friend/family member you should know one of the most famous comics in the world.

The bit that you have quoted from last post is more to do with a posting argument I read a while back which you were involved in with another ebid forum member.
    And now you reveal that it is you that wanted to provoke discord by bringing up what you allege is an argument in another, completely unrelated thread.

As for the thread not be of any value again that's your opinion and a again you are welcome to it.
    You are clearly trying to put words into my mouth.
    I did not say the thread was pointless. In fact, I haven't yet stated my belief of its value one way or another. What I did say is that responding to your comments was valueless. But I will admit that I was wrong about that. It does at least give me the chance to once again correct your assumptions.

Now, as this all has very little to do with listings and Feebay, I'd suggest that if you want to continue our exchange you are welcome to take this to PM.

So you agree with me that it is pure tosh to assert that everyone should have knowledge of comic books? That, after all, is what I first referred to as tosh. This is what you said:

And now you reveal that it is you that wanted to provoke discord by bringing up what you allege is an argument in another, completely unrelated thread.

You are clearly trying to put words into my mouth.
    I did not say the thread was pointless. In fact, I haven't yet stated my belief of its value one way or another. What I did say is that responding to your comments was valueless. But I will admit that I was wrong about that. It does at least give me the chance to once again correct your assumptions.

Now, as this all has very little to do with listings and Feebay, I'd suggest that if you want to continue our exchange you are welcome to take this to PM.
    Damian again it is your opinion if your disagree with what I said and again i don't have a problem with it.
    as for pointing out what you have done in other threads I am just stating that you have already had posting arguments with others which if anybody want to check it will be on this forum in black and white anyway.
    as for putting words in your mouth not sure I did that but I did read in you last post:
    as to PM ing you why would I want to do that? so you can carry on disagreeing with the way I send emails/PM's
    To be honest I don't want us both the look daft to other people so what i will do is let you have the last word on the thread and after that i will close it.

Thread Information