Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Can I use snail mail for small items?

Forum Newbie
    All-About tamron
    View tamron's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Can I use snail mail for small items?

I have an overstock of cellphone accessories liKe cases,pouches car chargers ect... can I just send them in a brown envelope if I offer free shipping or should I let the customer decide how its sent? Sorry its my first time selling online!

Default Re: Can I use snail mail for small items?

If you accept paypal, google wallet or any kind of credit card, you must have delivery confirmation on your packages to have seller protection from buyer claiming non-delivery of package. As for type of shipping package, I would imagine cases, pouches, etc. would ship fine in a padded envelope. As for car chargers I wouldn't recommend it. Remember it is your responsibility to get the item to the buyer in the condition it was listed [i.e. not broken].

When you list your item [depending on the weight of item], you could offer first class, parcel, or priority on the listing and let the customer decide which way they want it sent.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
    Last edited by florida33549; 27th October 2012 at 06:12 PM.

Forum Newbie
    All-About tamron
    View tamron's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi florida33549
    Thanks! How do I get delivery confirmation?

If you ship USPS, you add the delivery confirmation form to the package. UPS and FedEx have delivery confirmation built into the prices. USPS delivery confirmation is an additional cost to the shipping postage. Visit their sites for more information.

Forum Master
    View darklisruthven's Feedback (+1327)
    All-About darklisruthven
    View darklisruthven's Listings
    Forum Posts

well snailmail is standard mail, as opposed to email, so I would think snail mail would be a good idea as selling email-only-items on ebid isnt allowed *grin*

If you are able to offer more than one postage option, then do so, and let the buyer choose.

Do note though, that as a seller it is your responsibility to pack things safely so that they are unlikely to be damaged in the post. A pouch may be find in brown envelope but a charger may need more protection, like a padded envelope or bubble wrap.

View TexasAda's Feedback (+635)
    All-About TexasAda
    View TexasAda's Listings
    Forum Posts

Last time I checked in the brick and mortar post office, Delivery Confirmation for a package sent from within the US to within the US was 60 cents. It's probably a lot more now. However, I almost always buy shipping labels on PayPal's site. Delivery Confirmation is free for Priority Mail packages and something like 19 cents for First Class and Parcel Post. For low-cost items, using PayPal's shipping label facility is well worth it. PayPal collects no fees for this, oddly enough.

I have to second the remarks that plain brown envelopes are often risky to use for three dimensional items: they get torn, scuffed open on the edges, or bent. You don't want your items to arrive at the buyer's address looking bedraggled.

Check out these USPS sites and PDF. They will tell you a lot about domestic and international shipping, the fees, and so forth.

http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/immidx.htm

http://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/manuals/.../Notice123.pdf

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/608.htm

I hope these can help.

Thread Information