Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creation of Ebooks and Sales of Ebooks or Publications and mailing DVDS

Forum Newbie
    All-About teachandlearn
    View teachandlearn's Listings
    Forum Posts

Arrow Creation of Ebooks and Sales of Ebooks or Publications and mailing DVDS

I am in the process of opening a on demand book publishing company. We will be producing softcover books and I researched the forum about the possibility of producing eBooks. I have found the policy that we can not sell eBooks and some answers to this problem was to transfer the book to a CD or DVD and sell it that way. By selling a ebook this would reduce the printing cost and directly reduce the cost of a book for those that wanted it. I myself love to have my hands on an actual book.

Before I attempt to setup how our store page would run I contacted support and they wrote back that Ebooks are not allowed, not only that, BUT transferring to DVD or CD is still a digital copy and EVEN when I own intellectual property rights I am NOT allowed to produce a Ebook or DVD/ CD to sell. Sad, its their policy, but I will have to abide by it. I thought I should write this in since some think selling PDFs created by a author, artist that owns the rights and copied to a DVD or CD is salable here. Sadly support states otherwise and those doing my be stopped by Ebid, because they interpret sending DVDs or CDs still as against their policy.

Just received a AARP mag that shows products out dating and those that are replacing it. Of course hardcover, softcover books are going away and being replaced by Ebooks. As another other business if a profit if not made by a auction the business dies. If a business can not sell its product or change with the times it goes away. I will do everything I can to make my site sell able, but in the end if my customers demand ebooks I will have to find other venues other then ebid. Which is sad, I'm trying to set up a honest business and make a little profit for my self along with what ebid gets. Instead part of my business is already shut down, so I will have to look for other venues for those products rather then list a complete offering of products.

My main purpose is to warn people of the their interpretation of Ebooks and Ebids, they might get their auction and site shut down for attempting sales in the digital creation. Wooden Tree Publishing

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Creation of Ebooks and Sales of Ebooks or Publications and mailing DVDS

I too create ebooks and some CD's and I sell them on my own website.

Forum Newbie
    All-About teachandlearn
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Creation of Ebooks and Sales of Ebooks or Publications and mailing DVDS

Sad but I'm going to have to go the same route. Seems they are going to drive some sellers away rather than attract them. Since I have other products I may still sell, but I can't offer the entire selection. I will be evaluating the benefits of ebid over time and will have to consider this split product between ebid and a website. There are many creative people out there that are honest and want to sell their intellectual creations. The media is changing and the way to sell it is a block. Wooden Tree Publishing

All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

Your comment on one of my digital items:

I posted in books forum on ebooks and looked at your site. I'm
    suprised your "getting away with" emailing templates. In ebids eyes
    its digital media. Guess things can be sold till your "caught". How
    long how you been able to pull this off with out any warnings? I
    would guess this would go on till someone complains. I just setting
    up so I might run with emailing depending on how long you have done
    it. Wooden Tree Publishing
    has been removed.

eBid know about mine and other members templates on offer and we are not getting away with anything as you assume.

But they did put their foot down on my ebooks and CDs, hence why I sell them on my own website.
    Last edited by jeweleffects; 12th June 2012 at 10:01 PM.

Forum Newbie
    All-About teachandlearn
    Forum Posts

I attempted a final appeal with Ebid support to allow us to sell Ebooks that are already our intellectual rights. My appeal was based that Ebooks are nothing more than a new medium, and nothing more. Its already illegal to copy material, whether its on paper, cloth, canvas, inkjet or metal, like coins. I know many will still buy original hard, softcover books, though I will miss many that decide to use Ebooks as the way they will receive information. Will have to set up my store according to this decision and will have to plan another venue for our Ebooks. Thought I would post, so many be those thinking there is an exception won't bother support, Already posted a rather long appeal to attempt to get a exception. NOPE. Been down with a very nasty lung infection, slowing us to get our store on its feet. This will be my last post of this since I received final word along with some other information on advertising thoughts from support. Wooden Tree Publishing

All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by teachandlearn View Post
    I attempted a final appeal with Ebid support to allow us to sell Ebooks that are already our intellectual rights. My appeal was based that Ebooks are nothing more than a new medium, and nothing more. Its already illegal to copy material, whether its on paper, cloth, canvas, inkjet or metal, like coins. I know many will still buy original hard, softcover books, though I will miss many that decide to use Ebooks as the way they will receive information. Will have to set up my store according to this decision and will have to plan another venue for our Ebooks. Thought I would post, so many be those thinking there is an exception won't bother support, Already posted a rather long appeal to attempt to get a exception. NOPE. Been down with a very nasty lung infection, slowing us to get our store on its feet. This will be my last post of this since I received final word along with some other information on advertising thoughts from support. Wooden Tree Publishing
    I know how you feel, I tried the same route myself to no avail. Hope you get your website up and running soon. Sorry about your lung infection (Plurasy? I had it once a very long time ago, took over 6 weeks to recover). Glad to see your on the road to recovery.

Forum Master
    View darklisruthven's Feedback (+1327)
    All-About darklisruthven
    View darklisruthven's Listings
    Forum Posts

Yes, our theatre group make and sell CDs or some format of recordings of our own seashanties about local areas and would love to sell them for fundraising on ebid - they have gone down really really well selling them at our events. Sadly again even though we offered to supply ebid will all proof of group ownership, witnessed and signed by the performers on the CD as well as the admin committee of the theatre group itself, it was said to be illegal. Which is incorrect when we are the copyright owners. It is also seriously unfair - we looked into the cost of having the CDs professionally made instead of on my CD burner at home, and that would wipe out any fundraising benefit of creating them (so, pointless).
    Yay for supporting grassroots arts.

Worcester, Worcestershire, United Kingdom
    View 3red123's Feedback (+83)
    All-About 3red123
    View 3red123's Listings
    Forum Posts

I know I am resurrecting an old thread....but has the ebid stance on this changed at all?

I am starting to write some ebooks which will be sold on ebay as digital and physical copies, which is allowed over there. (The ebook is sent in an email link and a copy on CD-ROM is also provided via post).

It would be useful if I could sell them here as well.
    Angie

My eBid stores:

Books Books Books
    http://books-books-books.ebid.net/

Beautiful and unique jewellery from around the world:
    http://incredible-zen-jewellery.ebid.net/

All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

No change in the rule of ebooks

One of the big problems with eBook sales is that too many people flat out lie.
    If you look at the majority of eBook sales on Feebay you'll find some sort of claim that the books are all legitimate copies, the copyright is owned by the seller or the work is in the public domain. The reality is that most of those listings contain material that the seller does not own, is not legitimate and is not in the public domain - but the only way to find out is to see a copy of the contents.

Elsewhere I am part of another forum where a number of published authors contribute. They have been seeing numerous copies of their work being sold as part of eBook collections on Feebay for far too long. When they complain to Feebay support the individual listing is removed but someone else just lists the same thing again another time.

So the problem that eBid would face if they allowed eBooks is how to know for sure that they are not allowing sellers a platform to list illegal copies of copyright works. Even if they went so far as to insist people sent them a copy of the CD/DVD before it was listed, there's no way to ensure that the version sent to a buyer would have the same content.

The only answer that makes sense is to do what they are already doing: ban eBook sales completely.

Thread Information