My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Creation of Ebooks and Sales of Ebooks or Publications and mailing DVDS

Default Re: Creation of Ebooks and Sales of Ebooks or Publications and mailing DVDS

This is an area where growth is pretty much guaranteed. Would be great if there was some way of eBid being at the forefront of this. maybe if they could create a category where the only sellers who could list there had to provide proof of copyright ownership or something. Sellers and buyers could then have somewhere where they could get legal eBooks and ebid could get a good number of sales, and possibly much needed publicity.

Worcester, Worcestershire, United Kingdom
    View 3red123's Feedback (+83)
    All-About 3red123
    View 3red123's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Creation of Ebooks and Sales of Ebooks or Publications and mailing DVDS

Quote Originally Posted by damian_steele View Post
    One of the big problems with eBook sales is that too many people flat out lie.
    If you look at the majority of eBook sales on Feebay you'll find some sort of claim that the books are all legitimate copies, the copyright is owned by the seller or the work is in the public domain. The reality is that most of those listings contain material that the seller does not own, is not legitimate and is not in the public domain - but the only way to find out is to see a copy of the contents.

Elsewhere I am part of another forum where a number of published authors contribute. They have been seeing numerous copies of their work being sold as part of eBook collections on Feebay for far too long. When they complain to Feebay support the individual listing is removed but someone else just lists the same thing again another time.

So the problem that eBid would face if they allowed eBooks is how to know for sure that they are not allowing sellers a platform to list illegal copies of copyright works. Even if they went so far as to insist people sent them a copy of the CD/DVD before it was listed, there's no way to ensure that the version sent to a buyer would have the same content.

The only answer that makes sense is to do what they are already doing: ban eBook sales completely.
    Thanks. It's a frustrating stance for those of us who are capable of writing our own ebooks though. We're all cast as guilty scoundrels taking advantage of someone else's work, so the good guys lose out. But I can understand that it would take time to read the books/check for plagiarism - so TBH I would prefer the site owners to spend that time promoting the site.

However, I am sure there are plenty of other sites I can sell them online - I'll have to do some research.

Thanks for your response.
    Angie

My eBid stores:

Books Books Books
    http://books-books-books.ebid.net/

Beautiful and unique jewellery from around the world:
    http://incredible-zen-jewellery.ebid.net/

Forum Newbie
    All-About teachandlearn
    View teachandlearn's Listings
    Forum Posts

The line of thinking above just doesn't add up. Anything can be copied, whether its ebooks, paper books, watches or clothes fashions. Taking up this line of thinking then if we think through to the end. Most things sold on ebid should be restricted because they can be copied. Copy rights have to be enforced by the authors and publishers. By restricting sales of written work, the site is restricting original work that authors are attempting to get sold, because they are on limited bugets. There is software that colleges use to search text to check for students directly copying work. Application of this or just pure freedom of speech should be recognized and promoted. Not all authors have access to large publishing houses and rare and original work could be sold by these authors. No different sales then anything else on this site. RJF

Quote Originally Posted by teachandlearn View Post
    The line of thinking above just doesn't add up. Anything can be copied, whether its ebooks, paper books, watches or clothes fashions. Taking up this line of thinking then if we think through to the end. Most things sold on ebid should be restricted because they can be copied. Copy rights have to be enforced by the authors and publishers. By restricting sales of written work, the site is restricting original work that authors are attempting to get sold, because they are on limited bugets. There is software that colleges use to search text to check for students directly copying work. Application of this or just pure freedom of speech should be recognized and promoted. Not all authors have access to large publishing houses and rare and original work could be sold by these authors. No different sales then anything else on this site. RJF
    Excellent idea to use the anti plagiarism software. We use one called Turnitin when I taught at college. it is pretty easy to use and searches the entire web, reporting back with a percentage score as well as the sites it found it on.

Quote Originally Posted by teachandlearn View Post
    By restricting sales of written work, the site is restricting original work that authors are attempting to get sold ....
    Maybe, and maybe not.
    The reality is that eBid's owners have made their decision and we users to have to abide by it. Those who don't like it are welcome to find alternative venues to sell their eBooks.

Thread Information