• I would think about having a bid column if it was an optional feature

3 5.36%
  • I do not think it is the right time for a bid column

2 3.57%
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: To Have or Not To Have a Bid Column

Default Re: To Have or Not To Have a Bid Column

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    Whatever technique you use for displaying it, it immediately becomes apparent there are very few bids. Put up a number, change a colour, shove up a picture of a banana - the lack of bananas is an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by knit_wits View Post
    My sentiments, exactly.

Furthermore, I honestly believe that column after column of listings with no bids would be detrimental to eBid.
    Last time eBid tried this it did harm sales, many of us saw Gazza's post giving the reason for removal of this feature, although it was on a thread later deleted, so cannot be quoted now, more is the pity.

Are of those who want it so much get it reinstated prepared for the fallout, if it again decreases sales, & subsequently listing take a big drop, or will they just blame it on the site?

Will those whose sales it damaged last time bother to keep listing if this "experiment" is repeated & fails again, every year or so, or each time the new round of demands for this feature starts?

Maybe we should be thinking outside the box instead.

At the moment as part of the frontpage we have popular auctions,
    IF that feature of the site was sorted out properly,
    ie ONLY showed items that had at least 1 bid on them,(get rid of the multiple item BuyNows)
    & those pages DID show the number of bids,
    could that be a starting point?

Then when Gazza & Mark, who after all have the figures, feel the time is right, they can reinstate the bid column site wide.

Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

Some excellent points, Gothicina.

There are currently 38 polling. I doubt very much that Gazza would be swayed by such a small number on such a major issue.

View FBNeNotes's Feedback (+1108)
    All-About FBNeNotes
    View FBNeNotes's Listings
    Forum Posts

The naysayers for a bid column should leave ebid.net because ther are and have been holding this site back and management listens to them which means this is a lost site, forget it here. Auction sellers REAL auction sellers will come here or have come here and the vast majority will not stay here because it is DUll here without a Bids showing row when scrolling all sub-cats.
    A Poll on this subject is not needed here.. Bids showing(as just stated) is a Must Have,

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FBNeNotes View Post
    The naysayers for a bid column should leave ebid.net because ther are and have been holding this site back and management listens to them which means this is a lost site...
    You are seriously deluded if you believe that the owners of eBid defer to users in matters relating to their business. The decision to remove the bid column was eBid's alone, based on the statistics they compiled after its introduction - without any consultation with users. Equally, the decision to re-introduce the bid column will be eBid's, based on what they deem right for their business. Nothing users say will make them take a course of action they view as detrimental to their business interests.

If you are unable to accept that then you need to leave eBid.

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Sorry, I cant vote on this one. Not enough knowledge to know if in fact a bid column would help or hurt eBid. To imagine ebay without a bid column I would have to beleive it would be a disaster but this is eBid not ebay.

In an auction setting do bids showing create excitement? I beleive they do. Do we have a lot of bidding wars here? I dont beleive we do. Do we want buyers coming over looking at millions of listings with few bids? I dont beleive we do.

I read quite a few differences of how folks shop on line. Some like the auctions, some the buy it nows and some the make offer scenarios. There is no right or wrong way to list buy or sell format you wish to use its a matter of preference.

Perhaps instead of a bid "column" we could have the current price bolded or color changed once a bid has been placed, at least we will know what has bids without opening the listing.

Do we want buyers coming over looking at millions of listings with few bids? I dont beleive we do.
    Isn't that all the information needed to see the harm it would do eBid?

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FBNeNotes View Post
    The naysayers for a bid column should leave ebid.net because ther are and have been holding this site back and management listens to them which means this is a lost site, forget it here. Auction sellers REAL auction sellers will come here or have come here and the vast majority will not stay here because it is DUll here without a Bids showing row when scrolling all sub-cats.
    A Poll on this subject is not needed here.. Bids showing(as just stated) is a Must Have,
    If you don't mind me asking...are you waiting for the bid column so you can add some listings?...or is it that I can't see what you have for sale because I am in the UK?

Forum Diehard
    View kedo's Feedback (+4128)
    All-About kedo
    View kedo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moonwitch View Post
    If you don't mind me asking...are you waiting for the bid column so you can add some listings?...or is it that I can't see what you have for sale because I am in the UK?
    No he's taken his listings down so we'll pay him more attention!

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by knit_wits View Post
    Isn't that all the information needed to see the harm it would do eBid?
    I am not 100% sure that would be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by adruml View Post
    I am not 100% sure that would be the case.
    Fair enough

Thread Information