Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Toys and Hobbies Category Question - Trains & Model RR - N Scale UK vs. N Scale USA

Default Toys and Hobbies Category Question - Trains & Model RR - N Scale UK vs. N Scale USA

Hi, new here at eBid so I am sorry if I am asking this question in the wrong place. Doing a forum search for "N Scale" sent me everywhere expect N Scale, I even found a topic about an earth quake instead of what I was looking for.

My question is this... Why are there 2 categories for N Scale model trains? One for the UK with all the extra sub categories and then one for USA with no sub categories. No other scale of model trains has a UK vs. USA set up when it comes to listings or searches. They are all simply one category HO Scale, Z Scale, O Scale and so on. I am trying to move part of my eBay store here to eBid to give this site a shot at replacing eBay, my main selling items are N Scale trains. Honestly I thought if I can't even get my listings to be found because of the odd way of segregating UK & USA listings and the lack of sub categories for USA is going to make moving large quantities of items here on eBid very difficult and most likely end up a total failure due to potental buyers not being able to easily find what they are looking for.

Let me tell you about my first visit here to eBid a few days ago. I simply went looking for "N Scale" trains so when I found the category for Trains/Model RR I clicked on it. All the different kinds of scales pop up. I scanned the list and found the TWO different N Scale categories. Being an American I of course chose "N Scale - USA" and what I found was just a few listings (50 or so) all piled up on each other with no sub categories to thin my search out with. I thought it was kind of odd but I just figured with only about 50 listings maybe eBid didn't feel the need to have sub categories yet. After scanning through the 50+ N Scale USA listings I left eBid and went back to work on my eBay store. I came back to eBid a few days later and went through the same steps and saw the same 50+ N Scale USA listings but this time I didn't leave. I decided to jump the ocean and check out the "N Scale UK" listings. Much to my surprise I found over 600 listings I had missed the first time I visited eBid. I also found a full selection of sub categories to choose from so I dug a little deeper and I started noticing a trend in who was selling what. It would appear that quite a few USA sellers are trying to reach USA buyers and are trying to do it in the N Scale UK listings. WHY? Well that is obvious there are no sub categories in the N Scale USA listing area.

I do know this... I came here to eBid to check things out and I left disappointed. Since I am a businessman looking to increase my sales I came back to do a little more digging around. But honestly if I had come here as a U.S.A. buyer trying to find "N SCALE TRAINS" and went to the N Scale USA listings I don't think I would be back. It is very disappointing, not only in selection but in the USA vs. UK set up that currently comprises the N Scale market here at eBid.

90% of my eBay sales are to USA buyers the other 10% spread throughout the world so if I am going to be a success here at eBid I need the buyers from the U.S.A. to be able to sort their searches and find my listings. With these dueling "N Scale" categories nothing makes since. I guess what I am really asking is for both N Scale UK and N Scale USA be merged into one N Scale category with full sub categories just like all the other model railroad scales.

Can someone please look into this odd "N Scale" listing situation. I have gone ahead and tossed my money into eBid as a seller+, made a cool little logo and opened my store and have started moving a few listings from eBay to eBid. I even made sure to take advantage of your 2% fee listing options so that when I do sell something eBid makes money each and every time but unless the USA vs UK situation is not resolved it will all be for nothing. I won't make money and eBid will not get that 2% that they most certainly are due for allowing me to use their site to sell my trains.

Thank you for your time, it is very much appreciated.

- Daniel
    espee04135

ESPEE Model Train Freight Yard
    Exclusively "N Scale" Trains

View MPS16's Feedback (+3501)
    All-About MPS16
    View MPS16's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Toys and Hobbies Category Question - Trains & Model RR - N Scale UK vs. N Scale U

Quote Originally Posted by espee04135 View Post

My question is this... Why are there 2 categories for N Scale model trains I came back to eBid a few days later and went through the same steps and saw the same 50+ N Scale USA listings but this time I didn't leave. I decided to jump the ocean and check out the "N Scale UK" listings. Much to my surprise I found over 600 listings............................

Can someone please look into this odd "N Scale" listing situation..............................
    Have a look here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N_scale

UK N Scale is not the same as USA N Scale (The Gauge appears to be the same).
    Please Visit My Stores

Meccano Shop
    Postcards Shop
    Stamps Shop
    DVD Shop

I'm free-I'm free
    And freedom tastes of reality
    I'm free-I'm free
    And I'm waiting for you to follow me

TOMMY

View gazza's Feedback (+2)
    All-About gazza
    View gazza's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Toys and Hobbies Category Question - Trains & Model RR - N Scale UK vs. N Scale U

eBid.net
    Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy
    GBP and USD Affiliate Program Re-Launched .. Promote eBid and earn
    Got a problem? Record it for us using http://screencast-o-matic.com/

^ Hi Gazza, I did read the "Read before adding your request" topic before I made my post, that is why I started it with an apology. Yet is still seemed like the best place to put it since it deals strictly with categories.

^^ Hi MPS16, I am also aware that UK and USA "N Scale" are slightly different sizes. It unfortunately has noting to do with my question. Both US (1:160) and UK (1:148) N Scale items are usually sold together as one category along with those from some Asian manufactures that are 1:150 scale. Almost all the sub categories listed in "N Scale UK" are for USA prototypes not UK prototypes. Meaning they are 1:160 US scale not the 1:148 UK scale which means most do not belong associated with UK types of N Scale. But as I said before they are usually all listed together so it really is no big deal.

I didn't think it was necessary to make a list of things needed in the N Scale USA category since most already exist in the UK version but If merging both UK and USA categories into one group of just simply "N SCALE" is not an option below is a list of what is needed for "N Scale USA". I also want to thank you for this opportunity to get the N Scale categories straightened out. It should have a huge impact on sales for everyone involved in the hobby. If the list is too long please let me know I can thin it out to any requested number of sub categories. My main goal here is to encourage USA shoppers to stick around and shop. With the N Scale categories set up the way they are now it is very uninviting and confusing to American buyers. With the categories divided It makes it appear that there is very little for them to look at here at eBid.

Toys & Hobbies/Trains & Model RR/N SCALE (USA)

Toys & Hobbies/Trains & Model RR/N SCALE (USA)/AHM (Rivarossi)
    Toys & Hobbies/Trains & Model RR/N SCALE (USA)/Arnold (Rapido)
    Toys & Hobbies/Trains & Model RR/N SCALE (USA)/Athearn
    Toys & Hobbies/Trains & Model RR/N SCALE (USA)/Atlas
    Toys & Hobbies/Trains & Model RR/N SCALE (USA)/Bachmann
    Toys & Hobbies/Trains & Model RR/N SCALE (USA)/BLMA
    Toys & Hobbies/Trains & Model RR/N SCALE (USA)/Bluford Shops
    Toys & Hobbies/Trains & Model RR/N SCALE (USA)/Brass Imports
    Toys & Hobbies/Trains & Model RR/N SCALE (USA)/Brooklyn Locomotive Works
    Toys & Hobbies/Trains & Model RR/N SCALE (USA)/Buildings & Model Kits
    Toys & Hobbies/Trains & Model RR/N SCALE (USA)/Centralia Car Shops
    Toys & Hobbies/Trains & Model RR/N SCALE (USA)/Con-Cor
    Toys & Hobbies/Trains & Model RR/N SCALE (USA)/Decals & Detail Parts
    Toys & Hobbies/Trains & Model RR/N SCALE (USA)/Delaware Valley
    Toys & Hobbies/Trains & Model RR/N SCALE (USA)/ExactRail
    Toys & Hobbies/Trains & Model RR/N SCALE (USA)/Fox Valley Models
    Toys & Hobbies/Trains & Model RR/N SCALE (USA)/Intermountain
    Toys & Hobbies/Trains & Model RR/N SCALE (USA)/Kadee (Micro-Trains)
    Toys & Hobbies/Trains & Model RR/N SCALE (USA)/Kato
    Toys & Hobbies/Trains & Model RR/N SCALE (USA)/Life-Like
    Toys & Hobbies/Trains & Model RR/N SCALE (USA)/Minitrix
    Toys & Hobbies/Trains & Model RR/N SCALE (USA)/Micro-Trains (MTL)
    Toys & Hobbies/Trains & Model RR/N SCALE (USA)/Model Power
    Toys & Hobbies/Trains & Model RR/N SCALE (USA)/Other
    Toys & Hobbies/Trains & Model RR/N SCALE (USA)/Postage Stamp (Aurora)
    Toys & Hobbies/Trains & Model RR/N SCALE (USA)/Red Caboose
    Toys & Hobbies/Trains & Model RR/N SCALE (USA)/Roundhouse (MDC)
    Toys & Hobbies/Trains & Model RR/N SCALE (USA)/Scenery & Accessories
    Toys & Hobbies/Trains & Model RR/N SCALE (USA)/Track & Accessories
    Toys & Hobbies/Trains & Model RR/N SCALE (USA)/Trainworx
    Toys & Hobbies/Trains & Model RR/N SCALE (USA)/Walthers
    Toys & Hobbies/Trains & Model RR/N SCALE (USA)/Woodland Scenics

View gazza's Feedback (+2)
    All-About gazza
    View gazza's Listings
    Forum Posts

Added
    eBid.net
    Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy
    GBP and USD Affiliate Program Re-Launched .. Promote eBid and earn
    Got a problem? Record it for us using http://screencast-o-matic.com/

Hi again Gazza, what is the typical update delay for new ghost categories to show up? Not that I am in any kind of hurry. I went ahead and added a few more items last night and the new sub categories were not available yet. I checked again a few minutes ago (this morning) before I started working and was going add a lot more today but to save time and keep from doing lots of category editing later on I figured I would wait until the new sub categories showed up.

Any just wondering so I can plan a full day of listing items here at eBid. Thanks again for your time. - Daniel

THANK YOU

Hundreds of new N Scale listings are about to hit eBid.

Thread Information