eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: At last! Here is the charity for YDC 99!

Poulton-le-fylde, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View Gill's Feedback (+517)
    All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: At last! Here is the charity for YDC 99!

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    "Selling a £100 item for £5.00 is still benefitting a charity. Donations of products are tax deductable in the UK."

I'd rather the charity got £100 rather than a fiver, wouldn't you? You just can't guarantee that a low start will reach a high price, so sometimes a high start would be justified. And for those of us on a low budget and on tax thresholds, and watching the cash flow... the casual suggestion that we can just claim it back on tax (if we pay any) on next year's allowance... wow.
    "Selling a £100 item for £5.00 is still benefitting a charity. Donations of products are tax deductable in the UK."

I'd rather the charity got £100 rather than a fiver, wouldn't you?

Could you get £100 in a YDC charity auction? £5 for any charity is better than £100 start receiving no bids.

You just can't guarantee that a low start will reach a high price, so sometimes a high start would be justified.

A high start with no bids is not justified. A low start with many bids is justified. We're talking about making the most for charity remember.

And for those of us on a low budget and on tax thresholds, and watching the cash flow... the casual suggestion that we can just claim it back on tax (if we pay any) on next year's allowance... wow.

Come on Kim, you and I know there are many members that should be 'business' classed and not individual but that is not the question here. Each to his own and good luck to them. Also, it is not a casual suggestion for claiming the tax relief. It is up to each member reading this to decide whether they can claim tax relief and whether they are a business or individual.

LOL - low budget - well I for one spend over budget.

LOL - cash flow - is there such a thing? Yes there is but it's up to the individual to sort out and not for discussion here.

If this discussion needs to be taken further I suggest a new thread is started even though it is to do with YDC auctions.
    Gill (pronounced Jill) "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris 1834 - 1896

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    If this discussion needs to be taken further I suggest a new thread is started even though it is to do with YDC auctions.
    Don't bother on my account, you can tell when people aren't going to agree about something, and I'm perfectly happy to disagree and move on.

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tropical_Trish View Post
    Thank-you moonie, that is most kind of you, and your generosity is greatly appreciated
    It's my pleasure...you are helping me clear space for chocolate...lol

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

I'd rather the charity got £100 rather than a fiver, wouldn't you?
    Absolutely. The greatest impact gift to a charity is the strait cash gift, with no realization of a gratuity. It is my favorite form of giving. It is not a loss but an investment into the lives of others.

My highest YDC bids were on the quilt at over 300 GBP and for the first Traveling T-Shirt (which collectively raised more money for YDC charities than any single item). Both of these started at 0.99p

YDC charity is a unique form of fund raising activity, that differs from pure non-profit giving. A seller can incur "a loss" if they choose to look at it like a regular sale. The charities benefit fully.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by burgyeb View Post
    Absolutely. The greatest impact gift to a charity is the strait cash gift, with no realization of a gratuity. It is my favorite form of giving. It is not a loss but an investment into the lives of others.

My highest YDC bids were on the quilt at over 300 GBP and for the first Traveling T-Shirt (which collectively raised more money for YDC charities than any single item). Both of these started at 0.99p

YDC charity is a unique form of fund raising activity, that differs from pure non-profit giving. A seller can incur "a loss" if they choose to look at it like a regular sale. The charities benefit fully.
    Perhaps I should remind people, I'm merely defending the choice that some people might make at some point to start an auction at over 99p. That's all. It was suggested that doing so was "against the ethos of YDC" and I don't agree, and have given some reasons why it might, in certain circumstances, be a perfectly understandable choice. It's certainly in the rules to do so, and I'd hate people with high ticket items to be put off joining in because they didn't want to risk a low selling price but felt that starting at something nearer the real value was being frowned on. As I said, I'm perfectly happy to agree to disagree about it, but just wanted to restate it here as I was concerned my point was being misunderstood. I don't think I've personally ever started at more than 99p - but that's *my* choice, I don't think it's the only way to go.

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

I believe originally there were discussions of starting the quilt as high as 1000 GBP. Correct me if I am mistaken.

View youmeus's Feedback (+203)
    All-About youmeus
    View youmeus's Listings
    Forum Posts

There has been discussion on other threads about why some who have participated no longer do, for awhile I stayed away because I could list my item on another site and bring in $25 or list it here and get $1.49 or maybe a little more. Now, it doesn't take much time for me to know how my charity will get the most money.

I know we need some less expensive items or at least lower starting prices to let everyone bid that wants to, but if making money is the object why not encourage mid-range and higher priced items too?

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by youmeus View Post
    There has been discussion on other threads about why some who have participated no longer do, for awhile I stayed away because I could list my item on another site and bring in $25 or list it here and get $1.49 or maybe a little more. Now, it doesn't take much time for me to know how my charity will get the most money.

I know we need some less expensive items or at least lower starting prices to let everyone bid that wants to, but if making money is the object why not encourage mid-range and higher priced items too?
    I agree. Just because an item might not sell for big money on YDC doesn't mean the lister couldn't get more money for charity somewhere else, or locally. If the end result is to maximise the donation to charity, often the best means is to list something in YDC close to it's value (higher than .99 p), and if it DOESN'T sell, the lister can sell it elsewhere for more, and donate the money to charity. It's nice to sell in the YDC - but I don't really care HOW or through what venue the money gets to a charity, just that it does.

I have listed many things at .99p in the past, and likewise recently have started many auctions at £1 or £1.40 (which I don't think turned anyone off) because i DID'T want to be involved in the competition (which I HAVE won before).
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

View iwiw60's Feedback (+761)
    All-About iwiw60
    View iwiw60's Listings
    Forum Posts

If you go here:

http://us.ebid.net/buy/charity-aucti...nation-counts/

ALL the listings that have 2-3 days til closing are amongst those (I'm included) that have incorrect closing dates! There's obviously some sort of glitch going on and we need to keep on top of this til they are corrected. I haven't a clue why it's happening, but it is. One of my listings is fine, the other is 'reversing' itself.

AAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaack!!

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iwiw60 View Post
    If you go here:

http://us.ebid.net/buy/charity-aucti...nation-counts/

ALL the listings that have 2-3 days til closing are amongst those (I'm included) that have incorrect closing dates! There's obviously some sort of glitch going on and we need to keep on top of this til they are corrected. I haven't a clue why it's happening, but it is. One of my listings is fine, the other is 'reversing' itself.

AAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaack!!
    Just checked mine and it has -15 days to go...lol

I have sent an email to support

Thread Information