eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: At last! Here is the charity for YDC 99!

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: At last! Here is the charity for YDC 99!

Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Okay this auction would be great BUT it would depend on you in the sense of:

Are you willing to take a loss for charity? Consider your time, materials used and purchased to make the plaque - which, would run into $$$ from what you say.
    If you do this for YDC 99 what about YDC 100, 101 etc?

I'll put this another way Al. I donated all my gift stock to YDC and I'm making a loss on it BUT I am pleased to help the charity concerned no matter what. I just cannot afford to cover the postage and fee costs too, so you might want to take that into account as well.

With the UK's RM making a massive hike in postage costs, especially internationally, they are doing an injustice for Charity auctions.
    I'm pretty sure Charity will equal a monetary loss. Let's forget about me and what this will cost dollar and time wise. The question is: will it bring attention to the YDC and revenue for the charity?

In regards to YDC's 100,101 and onward, thats hard to answer but since it is charity I/we have no exact obligations.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adruml View Post
    ... The question is: will it bring attention to the YDC and revenue for the charity?..
    How do you anticipate it doing that? What's your plan in that regard?

Poulton-le-fylde, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View Gill's Feedback (+517)
    All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adruml View Post
    The question is: will it bring attention to the YDC and revenue for the charity?
    Sorry Al but, to me, that's a question that doesn't have a resounding Yes or No.
    Gill (pronounced Jill) "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris 1834 - 1896

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

This is a good idea Al but....

IMO YDC auctions work only if they are under 99p, in your case $0.99, and I think this is because there just aren't enough bidders from around the world..
    You don't HAVE to list your auctions starting at 99p or equivalent, ONLY if you want to be in the compeition to name the next charity.

As far as a loss, a lot of eBidders list things that sell at a 'loss' compared to their standard or expected value, but people realize that going into any auction. YDC listings are a loss to the seller anyway, as the money goes to charity.....................(but we just don't consider it a loss.....but a gain to the charity)

It would be great to get more world-wide bidders, but I think to do this, we will have to get more world-wide participation in LISTING in the YDC. Postage costs are getting so ridiculous, that it's hardly worth it to send overseas for many items. I used to just eat the cost of the postage for any YDC item I listed..Now it will depend on the item, and where I open the bidding to. If there were more 'local' auctions, there would be more participation from other parts of the world. How to make that happen??? Many people from other parts of the world don't seem to join in the forums much, so I'm not sure how aware they are of the YDC or how much they would be interested in supporting it. It would be great to get more charities around the world in the spotlight.
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HerMajesty View Post
    You don't HAVE to list your auctions starting at 99p or equivalent, ONLY if you want to be in the compeition to name the next charity.

As far as a loss, a lot of eBidders list things that sell at a 'loss' compared to their standard or expected value, but people realize that going into any auction. YDC listings are a loss to the seller anyway, as the money goes to charity.....................(but we just don't consider it a loss.....but a gain to the charity)

It would be great to get more world-wide bidders, but I think to do this, we will have to get more world-wide participation in LISTING in the YDC. Postage costs are getting so ridiculous, that it's hardly worth it to send overseas for many items. I used to just eat the cost of the postage for any YDC item I listed..Now it will depend on the item, and where I open the bidding to. If there were more 'local' auctions, there would be more participation from other parts of the world. How to make that happen??? Many people from other parts of the world don't seem to join in the forums much, so I'm not sure how aware they are of the YDC or how much they would be interested in supporting it. It would be great to get more charities around the world in the spotlight.
    Yep, I know you don't have to list at 99p or less to win the competition but listing higher than 99p goes against what we are trying to achieve IMO. Anyone listing an item at say, £2.99 is saying that this item is worth £2.99 or more. But, listing something at 99p could achieve more than that £2.99. It's all about auctions and bidding - you start well below the worth and hope to achieve more.

What I say above could be the reason that more worldwide bidders don't come into the YDC auctions plus not all UK members will post worldwide. This could be because of the RM postal hikes but what they have to consider is.....if an international buyer wanst it, they will take into consideration the postage charge as well.
    Gill (pronounced Jill) "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris 1834 - 1896

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HerMajesty View Post

Great post

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Yep, I know you don't have to list at 99p or less to win the competition but listing higher than 99p goes against what we are trying to achieve IMO. Anyone listing an item at say, £2.99 is saying that this item is worth £2.99 or more. But, listing something at 99p could achieve more than that £2.99. It's all about auctions and bidding - you start well below the worth and hope to achieve more....
    I don't agree,it's all about making the most for charity, with the competition as a side entertainment and a useful way of progressing each month. I would trust sellers to know the best way to list their own items, and could completely understand if sellers were putting higher start prices in place to stop valuable items being sold for peanuts. If somebody chooses to list an item worth 30 quid, for example, I don't see why they should have to risk selling it for a pound or two (which benefits NOBODY) - if they'd rather start it at £25 and risk not getting any bids, that makes perfect sense. They still have the item to try to sell again, or to sell elsewhere and donate the proceeds... it's about fund-raising first and foremost for me.

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    How do you anticipate it doing that? What's your plan in that regard?
    "That" would be accomplished actually through the charity, home, facebook and Twitter pages was my thought and bring new folks to eBid just to see what the hub bub is all about.
    Quite a few eBidders get involved with these charity events and we see it here who has contributed and donated. This particular item will be displayed in the charities facility and include the winners name and where it came from (YDC 99) shouldn't take long for folks to find YDC and the winner shown on the item. The item itself...well, has nothing to do with the charity itself but that's what I do and what I can offer, but then again quite a novelty. Given the time it would definately be signed by a famous drummer but my signature will have to do for now.

Just a thought and I beleive moving forward in the YDC's the Charity needs to help promote what everyone here is doing for them. We are not allowed to use eBid in the promoting but we can use YDC and our own stores/user ID's...folks will find us.

All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    I don't agree,it's all about making the most for charity

A member starts an auction at £2.99 and no bids are received. A member starts an auction at 99p and receives bids well over the cost - either achieves "making the most for charity" .

.........with the competition as a side entertainment and a useful way of progressing each month

Sorry, I don't understand this

I would trust sellers to know the best way to list their own items, and could completely understand if sellers were putting higher start prices in place to stop valuable items being sold for peanuts. If somebody chooses to list an item worth 30 quid, for example, I don't see why they should have to risk selling it for a pound or two (which benefits NOBODY) - if they'd rather start it at £25 and risk not getting any bids, that makes perfect sense.

Selling a £100 item for £5.00 is still benefitting a charity. Donations of products are tax deductable in the UK.

or to sell elsewhere and donate the proceeds

I'm talking about eBid YDC only

... it's about fund-raising first and foremost for me.
    Yep quite agree. Fundraising first and foremost is in my mind right now and how to make the most out of YDC auctions.

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

"Selling a £100 item for £5.00 is still benefitting a charity. Donations of products are tax deductable in the UK."

I'd rather the charity got £100 rather than a fiver, wouldn't you? You just can't guarantee that a low start will reach a high price, so sometimes a high start would be justified. And for those of us on a low budget and on tax thresholds, and watching the cash flow... the casual suggestion that we can just claim it back on tax (if we pay any) on next year's allowance... wow.

Thread Information