Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

View Poll Results: YDC 100 - Which Charity would you like to see benefit?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Medicins Sans Frontieres - Doctors Without Borders

14 43.75%
  • Alzheimer's Society

18 56.25%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Please Choose Your Favourite Charity For YDC100 - Round 2

Forum Saint
    North Warwickshire, Warwickshire, United Kingdom
    View Tiskets's Feedback (+1051)
    All-About Tiskets
    View Tiskets's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Please Choose Your Favourite Charity For YDC100 - Round 2

What HerMajesty said.

Chester - Le - Street, Durham, United Kingdom
    View Armstrongs's Feedback (+1436)
    All-About Armstrongs
    View Armstrongs's Listings
    Forum Posts

And we have a nominated charity for YDC100!!

The Alzheimer's Society

Thank you to everyone who voted for our worthy nominees.

Yvonne x

Look here for Crafty Bits

Find the Beamish Bazaar here!

I'M A YDC SUPPORTER!
    Find eBid's monthly charity auctions HERE on the 24th!

Cambuslang, South Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    View KAYS6912's Feedback (+245)
    All-About KAYS6912
    View KAYS6912's Listings
    Forum Posts

Think I've also mentioned that my wee Mum had this disease too. Absolutely horrible to watch - and listen - to someone you love change so drastically. Sal, Trish and Moonie - you are in my thoughts. Alzheimer's does NOT discriminate - it strikes GLOBALLY and do we give a stuff who or where a cure is found as long as one IS found.

And Cheaver - you have one hell of a bee in your bonnet about researching accounts pages for other peoples' nominated charities. Certain charities HAVE to spend money on administration fees and salaries. You really can't expect to have experts volunteering services. Not all charities are as lucky as yours which doesn't have to fork out for admin. And long may that continue.

But you couldn't have looked very far into your own nominated charity for YDC100, English Pen. You made absolutely NO mention of the fact that they commissioned an anniversary statue entitled "Witness". (And International Pen commissioned a memorial grove of trees in Canberra, Australia). This costs money! I don't know of many charitiies that could afford that!
    Nancy
    Ceud měle f?*ilte!
    ‘A hundred thousand welcomes!’

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/BARGAIN-BROWSER

GENERAL STORE

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vonz View Post

The Alzheimer's Society

Yvonne x
    Fantastic. Thanks for all your work getting us to this point, and everybody else's input to make it work. As soon as I've identified my YDC 99 items and got those organised I shall start a special push to get ready for 100 in as big a way as poss. Yee haw!

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KAYS6912 View Post
    Think I've also mentioned that my wee Mum had this disease too. Absolutely horrible to watch - and listen - to someone you love change so drastically. Sal, Trish and Moonie - you are in my thoughts. Alzheimer's does NOT discriminate - it strikes GLOBALLY and do we give a stuff who or where a cure is found as long as one IS found.

And Cheaver - you have one hell of a bee in your bonnet about researching accounts pages for other peoples' nominated charities. Certain charities HAVE to spend money on administration fees and salaries. You really can't expect to have experts volunteering services. Not all charities are as lucky as yours which doesn't have to fork out for admin. And long may that continue.

But you couldn't have looked very far into your own nominated charity for YDC100, English Pen. You made absolutely NO mention of the fact that they commissioned an anniversary statue entitled "Witness". (And International Pen commissioned a memorial grove of trees in Canberra, Australia). This costs money! I don't know of many charitiies that could afford that!

Alzheimer's Disease is a fantastic charity support effort. My mother was impacted by this condition. She was on medication for it, and she was fortunate to have locked in at the mild stages of the disease for many years. But it was difficult to watch someone of her intelligence change in terms of memory.

Funding is needed for service, support, and research here. Fortunately there are many charities and community groups that have absolute experts willing to volunteer. Most professional charities need paid staff and volunteers to get the job done.

Many moons ago I volunteered with a community group as a grant writer and organizational developer. Their first line of funding was federal, and they went on to become a full HIV/AIDS service agency. I was hired to direct the program after a few grants were attracted. No other work in my life was more rewarding. I continued to volunteer even after going on salary.

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vonz View Post

The Alzheimer's Society

Yvonne x
    Excellent choice. Thanks, Yvonne, for the organizing! I expect someone will be contacting the Society and telling them of our plan?? Since I was away for a few weeks, I may have missed out on if there is a "theme" or how we plan to advertise this far and wide.
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

Since I last posted about my mum she has been told (officially) that she has Alzheimer's. This happened a few days ago on Tuesday when a couple of staff from the GP surgery made a home visit. It's weird how quickly mum's condition has deteriorated so rapidly.

In February mum could sometimes forget family birth dates but knew all our names (mum has 4 children). Now it is May and mum cannot remember how many children she has and what their names are. She calls me by my sister's name and calls my sister by mum's sister's name. She also thinks that my son is my husband and sometimes my brother.

My sister and mum discussed power of attorney while the visitors were there on Tuesday but mum was having none of it. I wasn't in on the meeting but my sister was taken aside and advised to get this done quickly because we might not have too much time left to organise things with mum agreeing.

I just want mum to feel safe and happy wherever she is...but I don't have a magic wand and feel at a loss what to do next....the fundraiser in June will go a long way to helping me feel like I am at least helping in some way.

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

I'm sorry to hear that, moonie. Your mom is fortunate that you girls are there for her. It's a sad, sad condition for all concerned.
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

View ropegg's Feedback (+424)
    All-About ropegg
    View ropegg's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moonwitch View Post
    Since I last posted about my mum she has been told (officially) that she has Alzheimer's. This happened a few days ago on Tuesday when a couple of staff from the GP surgery made a home visit. It's weird how quickly mum's condition has deteriorated so rapidly.

In February mum could sometimes forget family birth dates but knew all our names (mum has 4 children). Now it is May and mum cannot remember how many children she has and what their names are. She calls me by my sister's name and calls my sister by mum's sister's name. She also thinks that my son is my husband and sometimes my brother.

My sister and mum discussed power of attorney while the visitors were there on Tuesday but mum was having none of it. I wasn't in on the meeting but my sister was taken aside and advised to get this done quickly because we might not have too much time left to organise things with mum agreeing.

I just want mum to feel safe and happy wherever she is...but I don't have a magic wand and feel at a loss what to do next....the fundraiser in June will go a long way to helping me feel like I am at least helping in some way.

Moonie I am so sorry to hear about your mum and it is so very hard on the family. I will be praying for you all but would you mind if I post on the "What A Mighty God we Serve!" thread requesting prayer for your mum and all the family?
    My stores:
    Ropegg
    Cups-Cups-Cups
    And Other Stuff
    Peggy A's Jewels

God Bless and have a great day!!!!

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ropegg View Post
    Moonie I am so sorry to hear about your mum and it is so very hard on the family. I will be praying for you all but would you mind if I post on the "What A Mighty God we Serve!" thread requesting prayer for your mum and all the family?
    Oh dear...not sure how to reply to this thread.

Ok..here goes....thank you so much for your kind thoughts.

I really don't mind if you post on the other thread...but not by my request please

(I'm an anti-theist and I have never had any religious of prayer type discussions with my family)

Thread Information