Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Fix category duplication in photographic section?

Forum Diehard
    View kedo's Feedback (+4128)
    All-About kedo
    View kedo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Fix category duplication in photographic section?

There seems to be some serious confusion in the photographic section where we have a main category for 'Film Cameras' as well as a main category for 'Vintage Photography'. Aside from the fact that the two are virtually synonymous (I don't know are film cameras still made?) the Film Camera category has a sub-category for vintage which is a clear duplication. A good proportion of listings seems to have gone into this duplicate category which doesn't really help with the general 'health' of the category.

In addition to the category problems there seems to be a large number of adverts, maps, erotic pictures etc. listed in the category which belong elsewhere.

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Fix category duplication in photographic section?

IMHO Film Cameras and Vintage Photography are two quite different things. Some film cameras may be vintage, but not all.

Photography is different from Photographic equipment, as it relates to the finished product............photos, in many forms. I wouldn't want the categories changed or merged, tho maybe some people have listings in them that are not in the most appropriate spots........
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

I'm afraid eBid's category setup by committee is simply not working. Ideas on what categories should contain as sub-categories varies from user to user and country to country. They are going to have to seriously address the problem at some time, or the whole house of cards is going to fall around their heads.

I don't expect eBid admin to have the knowledge on every category to create them themselves. In many case though, I think they should look how large commercial sellers of items in a category break them down in their catalogues (either physical or online) and model themselves on that. That would at least give them a base created by people knowledgeable in that field to start from.

It may be the case that they have already dug a hole so deep that climbing out could be difficult - but they should maybe stop digging.
    Last edited by astral276; 6th April 2012 at 03:42 PM.

Forum Diehard
    View kedo's Feedback (+4128)
    All-About kedo
    View kedo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HerMajesty View Post
    IMHO Film Cameras and Vintage Photography are two quite different things. Some film cameras may be vintage, but not all.

Photography is different from Photographic equipment, as it relates to the finished product............photos, in many forms. I wouldn't want the categories changed or merged, tho maybe some people have listings in them that are not in the most appropriate spots........
    I'm sorry but the 'Vintage Photography' main category has, for example, sub-categories for cameras broken down into types i.e. Box, SLR, Rangefinder etc. so it was clearly intended for vintage photographic equipment. It should be renamed to avoid confusion. You need your own separate category for actual photographic images. [I wasn't moaning about your listings by the way, which are at least related i.e. photographic].

It really needs to be seen to as the sell-through rate in this section is really rather good (just sold a lens a few minutes ago as it happens). I can't help thinking it would be even better if half the stuff wasn't tucked away in duplicate categories so that browsers miss it.

View gazza's Feedback (+2)
    All-About gazza
    View gazza's Listings
    Forum Posts

Let us know the specifics of changes needed.
    eBid.net
    Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy
    GBP and USD Affiliate Program Re-Launched .. Promote eBid and earn
    Got a problem? Record it for us using http://screencast-o-matic.com/

Thread Information