eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rehashing the "Watchers" tally (or lack of). Please, someone with influence respond!

Forum Newbie
    View sueme100's Feedback (+244)
    All-About sueme100
    View sueme100's Listings
    Forum Posts

Lightbulb Rehashing the "Watchers" tally (or lack of). Please, someone with influence respond!

I have yet to receive a credible answer as to the reason why a "Watchers" count on a particular auction doesn't exist or is not available or is "not in the cards" so to speak. We have the "Views" count and that basically is it. To risk being redundant, the number of "Watchers" is a tremendous tool in gauging the interest level of a particular listing. A high number of views, but no watchers means simply that something is wrong or unattractive with the listing. People are coming there but not staying. Price too high?? Shipping too high?? Description vague and/or pictures not representative?? It gives you the opportunity to adjust the listing and see what happens. If there is a high number of watchers, then it means that they like what they see and they are sticking around to see where it goes and when might be a good time to jump in.

From my experience on that "other" auction site, If there are 3 or greater "Watchers" on a listing, the odds are high that someone will bid on the listing before it closes. Generally no changes are needed to the listing.

We already have the option as buyers to "Watch" an auction/listing we might be considering. Therefore the data is available within eBid. Why not just reflect such "Watchers" data to the seller to aid them and promote better sales techniques??

I am amazed at this missing function that apparently has no downside and great upside for ALL, buyers and sellers, concerned. Please, someone, a cogent answer and how can we make this happen?!

View madelaine's Feedback (+5873)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Rehashing the "Watchers" tally (or lack of). Please, someone with influence resp

Because of the much lower traffic here, it is entirely possible to list £5 notes for £2.50 and not sell them. Watchers are pretty uncommon, which is the reason that management are not prepared to put the time in to provide the facility to show a seller his/her watchers.

This just isn't the other place!

There are huge advantages here - low fees, the capacity to list and relist without cost and the stability of policy - but traffic is lower.

P.S. I don't have influence!
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Rehashing the "Watchers" tally (or lack of). Please, someone with influence resp

The number of watchers on a listing gives no useful information. People watch a listing for numerous reasons - the majority with no interest in purchasing. Unless you know the reason each person is watching then the data is meaningless.

P.S. I have even less influence than Madelaine.

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View bluebedouin's Feedback (+107)
    All-About bluebedouin
    View bluebedouin's Listings
    Forum Posts

I know my place.I look up to both Madelaine & Mel as I have less influence than either of them.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bluebedouin View Post
    I know my place.I look up to both Madelaine & Mel as I have less influence than either of them.
    I have massive amounts of influence...

... but none of it here.

I find watchers of limited use, but would probably look at it if it were available. However, I can think of a list of more important chances I'd rather they did first, that would probably keep them busy till 2020.

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Influence or not I do see value in being able to view how many (if any) watchers are on items. Whether it's someone watching for curiosity sake, watching to see how much it sells for, may have similar item and is watching to see how it sells or a true buyer waiting towards auction end to place a bid.

Buy it nows with watchers probably won't end up buying but 3 or more watchers on an auction will probably end up with a bid towards the end. Not guaranteed but rather likely.

Auctions with no watchers will usually tell us no one has an interest and maybe revamping of the listing is needed.

IMHO the pros far outweigh any cons, unless of course sellers do not end up with any watchers they may just pull their listings prematurely instead of sticking it out for the long haul.

And just what information does watchers give you. Not how many are going to bid because watchers seldom bid. Not whether an item has interest because watchers seldom bid. Watchers are just that, watchers.

We have many features here that are not offered on other sites. Other sites have features that are not offered here. I guess you just have to pick out the site that has the features you most want, and go with them.

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by dardonboi View Post
    And just what information does watchers give you. Not how many are going to bid because watchers seldom bid. Not whether an item has interest because watchers seldom bid. Watchers are just that, watchers.
    I included my opinion on this in my post.

We have many features here that are not offered on other sites. Other sites have features on other sites that are not offered here. I guess you just have to pick out the site that has the features you most want and go with them.
    Over the years folks have been asking for this feature. In your opinion what are the downfalls of the "watcher" feature?

Forum Newbie
    View sueme100's Feedback (+244)
    All-About sueme100
    View sueme100's Listings
    Forum Posts

LOL. thank you for your responses. I didn't mean to sound pompous in my request for influence, just was hoping that someone at the "Gazza" level would see this post. While I appreciate some of the lack of interest in a "Watcher" count display for a seller, I then ask this question: Where is the downside to display this data?? As far as I can see, there is only upside potential to help the seller to better his/her listing in some fashion to make it more enticing to a possible buyer. If you do not think it important, then certainly you don't have to use it, but it is there to help if you need it. No downside; the data already exists within eBid; and certainly possible help to the seller for increased sales. Madalaine states that "...Watchers are pretty uncommon". My curiosity is that with the current system, how would she know that? We all are looking for ways to increase eBid and make it better. It sure seems like a no-brainer to me.Thanks, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by sueme100 View Post
    LOL. thank you for your responses. I didn't mean to sound pompous in my request for influence, just was hoping that someone at the "Gazza" level would see this post. While I appreciate some of the lack of interest in a "Watcher" count display for a seller, I then ask this question: Where is the downside to display this data?? As far as I can see, there is only upside potential to help the seller to better his/her listing in some fashion to make it more enticing to a possible buyer. If you do not think it important, then certainly you don't have to use it, but it is there to help if you need it. No downside; the data already exists within eBid; and certainly possible help to the seller for increased sales. Madalaine states that "...Watchers are pretty uncommon". My curiosity is that with the current system, how would she know that? We all are looking for ways to increase eBid and make it better. It sure seems like a no-brainer to me.Thanks, Ken
    They see them and respond when necessary.

Thread Information