View iwiw60's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Collectors Corner: Bottle Caps

(Taken from eCommerceBytes...FYI!)

Collectors Corner: Bottle Caps

By Michele Alice
    EcommerceBytes.com
    April 01, 2012

A bottle cap is a bottle cap is a bottle cap.

But not to legions of collectors!

As long as there have been bottles, people have sought ways to safely seal in the bottles' contents. Individuals and companies have long experimented with little contraptions composed of such things as bailing wire and plugs of marble, glass, or rubber.

There were also internal stoppers that necessitated the filling of bottles upside-down, and screw tops that fitted threads inside, not outside, the bottles.

Cork, though common, proved to be not always reliable, especially if allowed to dry out and shrink. (It is still used for wines because its special properties allow them to "breath.")

To keep manufacturing, transportation, and storage costs down, an inexpensive and reliable sealing method had to be found.

Enter the crown cap.

Patented in the U.S. in 1892 by William Painter, the crown cap, or "crown cork" as it was and is still often called, consisted of a metal cap with a corrugated flange pressed around the lip of a bottle. A thin slice of solid cork served as the liner, helping to seal the bottle against contamination. To pry off the caps, simple tools resembling the bottle openers of today were used.

Some collectors seek specimens of various types of bottle sealers, but when speaking about bottle caps, most are invariably referring to the crown cork. Not only is it still in use today (primarily on beer bottles; most soda bottlers have switched to all-plastic twist-off caps), but the caps have also long functioned as miniature advertising pieces. Oftentimes, this might consist of little more than a brand name stamped atop the cap. Other times, quite imaginative logos combining words and pictures might appear.

Most caps sell for a dollar or two or even less, but condition, rarity, and cross-collectibility can push values way up. For example, an old orange-colored, cork-lined Pepsi Cola (Richmond, Virginia) cap recently sold online for $60.99; a lot of six Reisch Brewing Co./Ward's Lime Crush caps fetched $305; and a 1959 YOO-HOO cap featuring Mickey Mantle garnered a final bid of $840!

Then there are all the related products that augment crown cap collections like the old boxes of caps sold for home bottling; company-logo bottle cap openers; and the large bottle cap signs that regularly fetch several hundred dollars, on up.

Want to figure out how old a cap might be? The designs of company logos change over time, and some company references will include pictorial guides, allowing you to pinpoint an era.

Another way to date your crown cap is to check the liner. In general, solid cork liners were in use until the beginning of World War I, composition-cork liners until the late 1960's, and plastic liners up to the present.

Have a cap that is rare, but bent? There are special tools, like the Reser Crown Press, for restoring caps to close to original shape. Have a cap that is common and a duplicate? Turn it into bottle-cap jewelry!

Forum Lurker
    View rucabela's Feedback (+26)
    All-About rucabela
    View rucabela's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Collectors Corner: Bottle Caps

hi all
    if anyone collects these crown caps,i have quite a few for sale
    if there is any interest i will put some in my lists
    please let me know if you are a collector.........ROY

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

I'd forgotten about the cork liners!!!! This is interesting!
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

Forum Lurker
    View rucabela's Feedback (+26)
    All-About rucabela
    View rucabela's Listings
    Forum Posts

Mine donīt have the cork lining,they are more modern
    i have them from europe and the usa mainly
    they were sent by a friend who swapped them for some stamps........roy

Something you might look for are Dorfan and Marx 1930 to 1950 metal toys. They were low cost producers of "tin-plate" toys and bought the metal from the cheapest possible source, which was often flawed bottle cap sheet stock.

Years ago on eBay I sold a Marx O guage train car that had 7-Up bottle caps printed on the inside.

Forum Saint
    View Pink_Panther's Feedback (+177)
    All-About Pink_Panther
    View Pink_Panther's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HerMajesty View Post
    I'd forgotten about the cork liners!!!! This is interesting!

As kids we used the crowns as badges. we would tease out the cork bit inside the crown.

Place the crown on our tee shirt , vest or whatever we were wearing and from the other side of the teeshirt we would push the cork liner back into the crown.

Thread Information