My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Posting photos of magazine cover front and back

Question Posting photos of magazine cover front and back

Hi, I just got here from FeeBay and although I had a nice time selling there and a fairly good reputation their draconian rules just rubbed me the wrong way. (If anyone would like to see my FB from there ask me I wouldn't mind)

Anyway what I like to know is, in hopes of making a quick sale to gain feedback, I have a few, magazines (Playboy to be specific) the way I would like to advertise these is to post a good quality photo of the front cover and the back cover. In the description I was going to list the standard issues, condition, celebrity interviews that are in the magazine and any article that might generate interest. I was also described the back cover and its advertising. However looking through the eBid rules I noticed that there is a ban on tobacco, and most advertising in Playboy was tobacco products.

I would like to know is showing a photo the back cover against the rules or does it fall under similar rule as collectible alcohol containers, i.e. the tobacco Ad is on the collectible magazine. Can I show a photo of the back cover but not describe the image on it. Or is it best just to leave out the photo of the back cover.

Sorry for being long-winded. Cheers

Forum Saint
    Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom
    View meebo1's Feedback (+7886)
    All-About meebo1
    View meebo1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Posting photos of magazine cover front and back

As I am not familiar with the magazine I don't know what is on the back cover of Playboy. If it is just advertising, I don't know if I would bother. I am not sure if there are any rules to this, so if you can't find the answer in the help section and no one comes up with a definite answer here, you will need to contact support. They are the ones to decide

View terry5732's Feedback (+1374)
    All-About terry5732
    View terry5732's Listings
    Forum Posts

A tobacco ad does not fall under their tobacco prohibition

But they are goofy on insisting that Playboy gets listed in the adult section that no one but a seller here could ever find
    My clutter

I don't play the reserve game

I have magazines for sale (SFand X-Stitch and the like.. but the idea is the same). If the back cover is only advertising then I do not use it - who is interested in an ad? That won't sell the magazine.

Seller+ gets the choice of up to 5 photos free here so you can use any of the middle pages. Much more interesting surely lol ...
    --Linda--
    all feedback from eBid

Quote Originally Posted by CarnoustieCats View Post
    I have magazines for sale (SFand X-Stitch and the like.. but the idea is the same). If the back cover is only advertising then I do not use it - who is interested in an ad? That won't sell the magazine.

Seller+ gets the choice of up to 5 photos free here so you can use any of the middle pages. Much more interesting surely lol ...

It may depend on the age of the magazines, I have had people purchase magazines just for the ads, they strip em out and frame em. There is a market for advertisements from the fifties and before, and I suppose the sixties will be of interest these days.

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Not sure about the rules, except, as Terry stated, adult magazines need to be listed in the adult category. Agree with Meebo, you may want to contact support: support@ebid.net about this.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

the idea to showing a picture of the back cover, is really to give some proof to condition of the magazine. The ad on the back although might not matter to a collector, then again it might make a difference, if a particular ad was limited on certain issues, but that's a long shot. The potential conflict I see is that under the heading of tobacco ebid rules list photographs of cigarettes, but under alcohol they list collectible containers. what would be the difference except physical, collectible container vs magazine. I would be listing the magazine and not really the Ad on the back cover. I would just want to show condition of both covers. If it boils down to it may be I could just place black censor bars over the image of the tobacco product, however this might be construed as a cover-up of condition.

I've asked them about their policy that Playboy magazines must go in the Adult Section. It appears that's normal for the U.K., but of course no buyer in the U.S. will ever look for them there. This is especially true because the eBid Search does not include anything in the Adult Section, and eBid will not upload anything in the Adult Section to Google Product Search.

I finally opened a store on eCrater just for the Playboy and Penthouse magazines, where I can list them under Men's Magazines, and I have sold a few. I am going to move our Knife collector magazines and catalogs there soon, too, because knives are not allowed here, and they filter out anything with the words "blade" "knife" or "knives" in the title. Again, no visibility unless someone is already in our bookstore and stumbles over them. Hasn't happened.

I'm mentioning this to save you the work. It probably doesn't matter whether you display the front cover, back cover, or no cover, I doubt if any U.S. or Canadian buyers will ever see the listings.

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View bluebedouin's Feedback (+107)
    All-About bluebedouin
    View bluebedouin's Listings
    Forum Posts

I'm just starting to list some Playboy mags that I acquired from a house clearance & will show the front & back pages.Don't worry about the tobacco ads,you're not selling tobacco so it has no bearing on your listing or eBids rules.

Hi yeah, thanks for all the replies, experience from eBay taught me never to assume, here's what I got “straight from the horses mouth”

“You can sell collectible tobacco packaging and some tobacco-related items, as long as you meet certain conditions.

However, you're not allowed to sell most tobacco products on eBid because of strict government regulations.

Therefore, if you are not endorsing, or selling tobacco related products and you are not promoting the ads, within reason, to help sell your collectible items, within the confounds of the law.

You should also acquaint yourself with the rules regarding domestic laws and licensing of relevant products if you are listing to other Countries/across borders.”

would've been nice if I could've found this information in the guidelines.

Thanks

Thread Information