eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom views with imported ebay items - how?

Exclamation Custom views with imported ebay items - how?

Hi there. New to this forum, but here we go.

I've been an ebay member since the 90s and I've also been involved with a lot of website hard coding since those days. So when I list an ebay auction, I normally choose standard html because I have several of my own templates that I can use for anything and everything, even for my own photos since I have my own image server due to all of the graphic work that I've been involved with for years. So far that's the background, leading up to this ...

After joining ebid today as a seller+ hoping to shed ebay altogether one of these days ... I created an ebid auction using one of my templates. That's where I'm having a problem. Part of my ebay look had to do wih the wallpaper background that I made for myself. This wallpaper is relatively dark (not ugly or foreboding though) and then my actual item "frame" with photos and description is placed on top of my wallpaper. But when I try that with ebid my walllpaper "bleeds through" to all of the ebid boxes above which makes the text in those boxes almost unreadable. The only solution was for me to remove the wallpaper altogether, making my item look completely bland in the process since a background color won't work either ... just the default ebid white.

Are there some instructions somewhere on how to customize your own item content? I also don't like the fact that ebid picture boxes are perfectly square even though most modern cameras these days take wide view photos. Couldn't find a way to crop the ebid frame to make it more horizontal. Looks a lot like a dolphin script from where I'm sitting. Anyway, I'd really like to know how or if I can twak my items with my own style. Thanks, ans sorry about the long post ...

Default Re: Custom views with imported ebay items - how?

Why not put your template inside a table and use the wallpaper background as the table background, then put another table inside that for the item frame?

Awwww, c'mon now, give me a little bit of credit here.
    Of course I have everything within the confines of a table, but ebit appears to ignore some of those tags.
    Either that or perhaps it has to do with the body tag? On ebay I can use the body tag and that's what contains my background since I use that like a very thick 100px frame around my items. The items are then located within a table and td plus divs for text/size/colors. If the body tag is the problem then I can probably figure something else out with additional tables. I was just hoping to be able to use my existing templates in their default state. Would have made using ebid a little easier ... less time consuming.

Quote Originally Posted by LinxDragon View Post
    Nope. No credit given here. You pay like everyone else.

Nesting tables is how I used to do it. Other folk may have other ideas. But don't chide them for not being telepathically aware of your knowledge level as they may not take it as well as me.

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

Of course I have everything within the confines of a table, but ebit appears to ignore some of those tags.
    Either that or perhaps it has to do with the body tag? On ebay I can use the body tag and that's what contains my background since I use that like a very thick 100px frame around my items. The items are then located within a table and td plus divs for text/size/colors. If the body tag is the problem then I can probably figure something else out with additional tables. I was just hoping to be able to use my existing templates in their default state. Would have made using ebid a little easier ... less time consuming.

You cannot change the eBid image size box and you cannot use the body tag on the eBid description as this will cause havoc with their own coding.

Why not place one of your templates in the Whatever's Left > Test Auctions so we can see exactly what your problem is.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

If you are using HTML you can use the <body></body> tags, but you should not apply any style information to the opening tag. If you do it will override eBid's own CSS. I have suggested to them in the past that they prevent this, but they felt that unless it became a bigger issue they were reluctant to restrict users.

If you want to style the 'body' of your own template, without affecting the rest of the page, wrap your template code within a div element and move your body styling to the div wrapper.

e.g.

HTML Code:
    <body>
         <div id="templatewrapper" class="bodystyle" style="font-weight: 700; color: #fff; background-color: #000;"> 
             <!-- sof template html -->
             Template HTML
             Template HTML
             Template HTML
             Template HTML
             <!-- eof template html -->
         </div>
    </body>

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

I just read your About Me page and it turned me off - IMHO it's really, really bad and unprofessional. Quite a bit of negativity about Ebay. As an ex Ebayer myself, I would recommend you delete all the Ebay negativity and create a positive aura on your page. Keep it positive and optimistic. Your selling experience - you can just say you sold/sell successfully on Ebay and/or elsewhere and are now excited to expand and offer your services on eBid. Don't be too personal about your family life ie insurance etc - keep it simple - your books paragraph is interesting.

Hope this helps you.

THANKS EVERYONE !!! It's all good now and it looks fine with Firefox and Opera. Took away the body entirely and used an additional table plus td instead. Worked like a charm. Any chance that someone might take a look at my only item with IE8 or IE9 and then let me know what it looks like with a screenshot? I don't have IE since I'm a linux user. I'd really appreciate it.

@damian_steele
    You did notice that my very first line said ...
    "the 90s and I've also been involved with a lot of website hard coding since those days" ... right?

@damian_steele
    You did notice that my very first line said ...
    "the 90s and I've also been involved with a lot of website hard coding since those days" ... right?
    And yet you still needed to ask about something with a pretty easy solution instead of simply trying out alternative methods of page design. <shrug>

Quote Originally Posted by jeweleffects View Post
    I just read your About Me page and it turned me off - IMHO it's really, really bad and unprofessional. Quite a bit of negativity about Ebay. As an ex Ebayer myself, I would recommend you delete all the Ebay negativity and create a positive aura on your page. Keep it positive and optimistic.
    Wow, I hope we're not toeing the line of censorship here? I'm totally honest and have total respect for freedom of speech as well as your opinion. But I believe your opinion regarding *MY* personal aboutme page is inappropriate considering that that page is exactly about that ... ABOUT ME ... with my feelings, thoughts, or whatever else I'd like to share. Those feelings are based on the fact that I've been an ebay member since 1998 and the fact that my spouse and I have a total of more than 8000 combined feedbacks. There was a time when eBay used to care about the little guy but that was a long time ago ... which is why a lot of people are looking for an alternative place to go. That's why I'm here, because I'm sick of eBay ruining things for me after many years of being a loyal little ebay member. They've broken many companies, bought paypal when they couldn't get their own billpay service to outgrow paypal, and are treating their employees pretty badly ... all while being one of the biggest money maing machines in the history of this planet. What's wrong with me expressing myself and my feelings on *MY* aboutme page? I don't get that at all.
    Besides, I'm not a professional seller who's trying to impress anyone with my professionalism!
    I'm just like millions of other little guys who are sick of corporate absuvie behavior. Sorry that that bothers you so much ...

Last edited by LinxDragon; 15th March 2012 at 09:27 PM.

Thread Information