eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I be wary of sellers selling items vastly lower than RRP?

Forum Newbie
    Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
    View kara1987's Feedback (+1)
    All-About kara1987
    View kara1987's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Should I be wary of sellers selling items vastly lower than RRP?

I found eBid by searching for a certain item. There are 3 sellers for the same item all selling it for under half the RRP (well, the price that Amazon, etc. charge). Two of the sellers have 0 feedback, the other has +9. The page has been updated several times over the past month indicating they are an active seller. But only 1 of the feedbacks is from this year - the last one before that was from July. The buyer from this month doesn't have any of his own feedback.

They have multiple quantities.

What's the risk of me losing my money? The description says that it's everything in the picture and then goes on to independently list each item and I can pay with paypal. If I was to buy this item and they didn't send would I have any problems getting my money back or would I be out of pocket. They offer recorded delivery too, so that puts my mind at ease a little bit - but could that be a ploy to put my mind at ease so I'll buy?

I usually use eBay but the bids for the item I want usually come very close to RRP anyway, so it's not worth buying from there. What would you suggest?

Edit: I just wanted to add that the one buyer from this year bought the item on the 1st March and left feedback stating quick delivery on the 1st March so probably not a genuine buyer. Could this have just been to gain some interest or should I just steer clear?

Second edit: They don't have any neutral or negative feedback at all.
    Last edited by kara1987; 3rd March 2012 at 06:16 PM.

Forum Master
    View darklisruthven's Feedback (+1327)
    All-About darklisruthven
    View darklisruthven's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Should I be wary of sellers selling items vastly lower than RRP?

it depends - you can always message them with any relevant questions about the items, a sincere seller will not mind that at all.

You wouldnt have issues getting your money back if you pay by Paypal and they dont send - in such Paypal cases where something is alleged not to be recieved in reasonable time, it is up to the seller to prove they sent it, which they can only do with a checkable tracking number. If they cannot provide that and show you have recieved, then you would be able to claim back with no problems.
    Hope that helps - and welcome to ebid!

If I had questions about a seller and there are some dodgy sellers here as any place else, first I would ask questions of the seller(go to the bottom of the page and find the question area). Communicate with them more than once and ask lots of questions.

We can sell things cheaper here because we don't have huge fees to pay and lots of totally unreasonable rules.

If you do decide to purchase wait for your invoice. If they are not legitimate then you will not be out of your money. Pay with a credit card or PayPal so that you will have a way to recoup your money if things do go wrong.

There are lots of sellers here that do not have feedback yet because they haven't been here long enough to get any. Always double check to make sure they are still around because we do have a lot of dump and run.

Hope this helps!

Forum Newbie
    Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
    View kara1987's Feedback (+1)
    All-About kara1987
    View kara1987's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thank you both for your responses. I've taken your advice and asked them a question. I'll wait to see what they have to say (if anything) and take it from there!

Thank you again :-)

Forum Diehard
    View JJcards's Feedback (+1672)
    All-About JJcards
    View JJcards's Listings
    Forum Posts

All good advice to follow,

as said,we can,and do sell things for cheaper,sometimes much more so than other sites as we pay little to no fees on sold items so as sellers we can pass those savings along to our buyers as an example,I sell mainly sportscards on ebay if I list them in a store setting the least I could ask is 1$ even if the card has a value of 25 cents,buyers really do not want to overpay for cheaper cards and I hated selling them but if they really need them to complete sets etc they will pay,here I can offer the same cards at 5-10 cents keep my costs low and buyers happy due to the fee structure in place here

If you feel the item is too good to be true,perhaps it is but 3 sellers have it at a lower price,I would ask them all the same questions regarding any concerns you may have and if any or all seem iffy do not buy,if they answer all questions and it makes you more comfortable going through with the deal I say go for it,just pay using a method that can be traced and recovered if something comes up

A lot of sellers have not been here long enough to get a decent feedback,more so,buyers tend to not leave feedback more often than not and sales here on certain items are not as brisk as other items or same items on other sites,all that plays into a sellers feedback but in my opinion the only true way to get to know a seller better is ask questions regarding their items,any and all good sellers will respond to any and all questions give detail on their item(s) and explain and queries you may have regarding price etc

Good luck to you on your potential purchase and welcome to ebid

Check if any of the sellers have the small address verified icon next to the sellers name.

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

And don't pay until you receive an invoice from the seller.

How many buyers feel wary of buying on ebid? Do we need to change something or all get more feedback?

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

I don't have problems buying from sellers on eBid and have bought items in the past, my only problem is a too small wallet.

OP I hope you find what you're looking for from a reputable seller, IMHO this includes the majority of sellers on eBid. IMHO it's always good to ask questions and wait for communication from the seller before buying on any site; it's also a good idea to wait for an invoice before paying as Jan mentioned.

Oh and welcome to eBid.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

Quote Originally Posted by fordfananatic View Post
    How many buyers feel wary of buying on ebid? Do we need to change something or all get more feedback?
    I am no more wary here than on any other site. My worst experience was on E***y before they put all their new rules in place. Absolutely worst experience was with an international company with both stores and web sites.

I think we just need to do what we can to weed out the bad sellers so that we can instill confidence in Ebid.

Thread Information