Thread: old pearl and diamond earrings any imput thanks

Forum Lurker
    Edinburgh, Edinburgh (City of), United Kingdom
    View doggiemad's Feedback (+1408)
    All-About doggiemad
    View doggiemad's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default old pearl and diamond earrings any imput thanks

i have a pair of old pearl and diamond earrings i've just listed them for a huge price but i don't know much about them. so any imput will be greatfull to help sort my auction

they are grey or silver grey pearls not white like they look in my picture and are about 7-8 mm wide with a ruler. their is a central diamond in each one about 10 points or so. set with sterling silver and are about 16-17mm wide.

they are not hallmarked though not unusal for old pieces. i have no idea about them and forgot i had them until i cleaned out the house lol

http://the-household.ebid.net/
    http://old-stuff.ebid.net/
    http://vintage-collectables.ebid.net/
    http://real-silver-and-gold.ebid.net/
    Attached Images Attached Images     

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: old pearl and diamond earrings any imput thanks

If they aren't hallmarked are there papers or other doc's stating that they're genuine? I believe you when you say they're tested, but buyers may be skeptical without documentation, especially when it comes to a larger sum of money. You also may have trouble realizing their full value without an appraisal. You may want to get them appraised by a jeweler and include the appraisal in the listing/auction, that way you'll be able to get your money's worth for these lovely earrings as well as giving your buyer peace of mind when purchasing. Question: are the earrings vermeil? They look vermeil from the photos (gold over sterling silver), but it may just be my eyes (they're not what they were, that's for sure).

Just my 2 cents... BTW: They really are lovely earrings, just my style. If only I had a larger wallet...

Thought you might appreciate the following article about vintage earring findings (states costume but may be applied to fine jools as well):

http://vintagejewelrylane.com/inform...rringbacks.htm

Best wishes for many sales to all,
    Last edited by suesjools; 3rd March 2012 at 03:08 PM.

Forum Lurker
    All-About doggiemad
    Forum Posts

thanks suesjooles for your imput and that's a great link thank you. pearl you can tell are gritty between the teeth faux ones are smooth i've had a few pearls throught the years and know that they are genuine. i don't know if they are coloured or they are the real colour though that i don't know. no they are sterling silver as sterling is easy to test for and marks red with the testing fluid something i did along time ago when i started buying jewellery was to make sure i tested everything as i'm alergic otherwise. and i wouldn't want to sell them at a later date when i wanted some new ones and not beable to tell the truth what they are. enough rubbish from china coming through stating 925 when they are not.

they are tarnished and the lighting in my house is horrendous not enough natural light gets in sorry the pictures arn't better.

i did take them to the jewellers to test the diamonds which came back positive and they retested the silver for me. unless platinum tests like silver they are silver lol.

i have a pendant to match just one pearl and the same size diamond on top but i'm gonna keep that one. think i will have to take them to some kind of place to get them evaluated at the moment if people pick them up the can look at the time and make their own guess. that would be the best way just now i think

thank you again for your help as usual perfect ebidder here who are friendly and help as best they can.

Forum Lurker
    All-About doggiemad
    Forum Posts

ohh grosse i've just found out butterfly wing jewellery is actually made from butterlfies poor wee souls. still a good site though suesjools

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by doggiemad View Post
    ohh grosse i've just found out butterfly wing jewellery is actually made from butterlfies poor wee souls. still a good site though suesjools
    LOL! Yes, it is, have a few butterfly wing pieces in my collection as well, got them from my Mom who bought them back when such things were allowed. I also have a few vintage spider and scorpion jewels made with real critters.

Glad to help, you have some lovely jools; if only I had the monies you'd have a buyer as well.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

Forum Lurker
    All-About doggiemad
    Forum Posts

awe thank you i always thought those butterfly jewellery was gorgeous until i found that out don't know if i want a peice now was looking. though i expect they are old and they wouldn't do that today i can handle that lol. than you i'm just trying to find a proper valuation for items so that i can pay some bills as usual and i most of the times half of it's a guestimate especially with older pieces. and with folks loving vintage and antique items as well as good quality items nows the time to sell.

sending me son into find out about these pearls he can take them to a shop give me a rough guide to price.

Forum Saint
    View Oldandintheway's Feedback (+385)
    All-About Oldandintheway
    View Oldandintheway's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by doggiemad View Post
    thanks suesjooles for your imput and that's a great link thank you. pearl you can tell are gritty between the teeth faux ones are smooth i've had a few pearls throught the years and know that they are genuine. i don't know if they are coloured or they are the real colour though that i don't know. no they are sterling silver as sterling is easy to test for and marks red with the testing fluid something i did along time ago when i started buying jewellery was to make sure i tested everything as i'm alergic otherwise. and i wouldn't want to sell them at a later date when i wanted some new ones and not beable to tell the truth what they are. enough rubbish from china coming through stating 925 when they are not.

they are tarnished and the lighting in my house is horrendous not enough natural light gets in sorry the pictures arn't better.

i did take them to the jewellers to test the diamonds which came back positive and they retested the silver for me. unless platinum tests like silver they are silver lol.

i have a pendant to match just one pearl and the same size diamond on top but i'm gonna keep that one. think i will have to take them to some kind of place to get them evaluated at the moment if people pick them up the can look at the time and make their own guess. that would be the best way just now i think

thank you again for your help as usual perfect ebidder here who are friendly and help as best they can.
    Gritty feel on the teeth does not distinguish between Natural & Cultured pearls, as they both feel the same. There is a huge difference in value between the two.
    As these are old, they may well be Natural? but only an X-ray can determine this.
    I agree that a proper appraisal would sort this out AND help to sell them.
    Nice looking matched set as far as I can tell.

Forum Lurker
    All-About doggiemad
    Forum Posts

thanks all and gill i bairly know how to get a picture on never mind putting different sizes on so please excuse me. not everyone knows how to techno sort everything. me i can type an address upload what i need to sell and that is it.

they are going to go in to an appraisal i agree i couldn't tell the difference between natural and cultured so fingers crossed i just now they are pearls.

Thread Information