Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bookshops Closing

Default Re: Bookshops Closing

I enjoy both as well , will sometimes treat myself to a new book, but like Kindle because get the chance to read books for free from first time authors.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Interesting.

Please tell me the charms of a Kindle?

Now please tell me the charms of a book?
    Yes miss.

A Kindle is lightweight, easily held in one hand while snuggled down in bed for example, the page turn action is a flick of the thumb which is handy when you're eating with the other hand, it can be carried on commutes and other journeys and combines as many books as you want in one package, lets you subscribe to newspapers too, and you can get cute covers for them to make them even nicer - I had a friend tailor make a padded fabric one so I can throw the Kindle in my bag with the same impunity I would a paperback, without needing to worry about creasing. You can prop them against your beer glass or some other handy item thus keeping your hands free if you like, and the pages don't close on you. Oh, and books for it are cheaper than new cover price physical books.

Books feel nice when you're sitting curled in a chair with a cup of tea, the action of turning a page is evocative and relaxing, they feel and smell nice, they have attractive covers to draw you in, they look good on your shelves, there's a pleasure in getting a series of books by a favourite author and lining them up, old books are often beautiful objects and vintage paperbacks are affordable gems with personality and style, and you can read them in the bath.

Both provide the same quality of story telling, taking you to places you've never been or familiar landscapes you love, they introduce new people and new ideas, make you friends and sometimes enemies (who generally get their comeuppance!) they can take you out of the world, or show it to you in finer detail than you ever dreamed.

I like audio books too. Do I have to justify that one, or will you just take my word for it?

Forum Saint
    View Pink_Panther's Feedback (+177)
    All-About Pink_Panther
    View Pink_Panther's Listings
    Forum Posts

* want to hunt,find and devour that hard to find out of print book.

Kindle spoils the fun.

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pink_Panther View Post
    * want to hunt,find and devour that hard to find out of print book.

Kindle spoils the fun.
    How does it? Kindle owners aren't burning books, you know? Those hard to find out of print books are totally unaffected. Keep hunting.

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hubby was about to burn his kindle.............he got one for Christmas, and the only way to register and be able to use it was via wireless link. We don't have that. He registered online, but couldn't complete the rest. Took so much messing with unhelpful call center staff in different places, till finally, yesterday, he got it accomplished all on the computer. It can't be that hard to give the insructions to do that in the first place.
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

I would love a Kindle...for reading in bed...for reading any number of books on a break away...it's a great way to try out new authors too.

I would have to get a 3rd job to pay for one though.

I mainly buy from charity shops but buy few books now because the ones I want to read are very difficult to find at a reasonable price.

I don't know what kind of books are available through Kindle though so I am reluctant to invest in one.

Quote Originally Posted by moonwitch View Post
    I would love a Kindle...for reading in bed...for reading any number of books on a break away...it's a great way to try out new authors too.

I mainly buy from charity shops but buy few books now because the ones I want to read are very difficult to find at a reasonable price.

I don't know what kind of books are available through Kindle though so I am reluctant to invest in one.
    Stick in Kindle books in google will give you amazon page to have a nose.

Forum Saint
    All-About moonwitch
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BAGHAG999 View Post
    Stick in Kindle books in google will give you amazon page to have a nose.
    Thanks for that tip.

I found most of the books I looked up were between £6 and £8 (more expensive than I would pay for a hard copy and several I looked up weren't there

The Kindle is £89...so I think I'll give it a miss for another year and see if I get rich by then..lol

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moonwitch View Post

I "bought" mine with buddy points. *beam*

I have a small selection of books on mine, paid about a fiver each for whodunits and up-to-date non-fiction I think. And a couple of free classics.

Edit to add: just gone into the Kindle page and it's offering me a selection of detective books by author I looked at most recently, ranging from £4.85 for earlier titles to £7.16 for the latest titles. If I can find the free list I'll share it on FB.
    Last edited by bykimbo; 20th February 2012 at 08:36 AM.

Forum Saint
    All-About moonwitch
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    I "bought" mine with buddy points. *beam*

I have a small selection of books on mine, paid about a fiver each for whodunits and up-to-date non-fiction I think. And a couple of free classics.

Edit to add: just gone into the Kindle page and it's offering me a selection of detective books by author I looked at most recently, ranging from £4.85 for earlier titles to £7.16 for the latest titles. If I can find the free list I'll share it on FB.
    WOW!!...looked at the free books and noticed Lear's Book of Nonsense...I was going to use that title for my book...I can only write nonsense

Thread Information