View iwiw60's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Radio Controlled Helicopters

Collectors Corner: Radio Controlled Helicopters
    By Michele Alice
    EcommerceBytes.com
    December 18, 2011
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Radio-controlled model helicopters have been commercially available since 1970, so one would be tempted to assume that the relatively recent swarms of RC helis around kiosks at malls everywhere represented a serious deficiency in marketing acumen. After all, Beanie Babies, the iPod, and GPS navigational systems were all immediately embraced by the buying public.

In actuality, it took nearly four decades before technological improvements allowed all those who wished to fly a 'copter of their own to be able to do so. Before the development of more efficient batteries and engines, a basic model and all the necessary equipment could cost several hundreds of dollars, and more. In addition, most craft could be flown only in wide, unobstructed areas outdoors. Now, anyone can buy an RTF (ready-to-fly) heli small enough and easy enough to be piloted from the living room sofa for less than $50.

Generally, RC helis are divided into three categories - beginner, intermediate, and advanced - with prices that are commensurate with the engineering and the level of skill necessary to fly the craft. The controller used to fly the heli may have 2 or more channels, each one corresponding to a function such as throttle control.

Briefly, 2 and 3-channel helis are considered appropriate for beginners. They are the majority of the craft found at malls, department stores, and online, and often sell for $25 to $100. The more expensive 4- and 5-channel helis form the intermediate class. They are often found online and at hobby stores for around $150, and often, that does not include the controller. Operating an advanced-level 6 or 7+ channel heli is the ultimate goal of serious hobbyists who are willing to pay hundreds or more ("The sky's the limit!") for the privilege.

RC helis haven't been around long enough to be "collectible," and there is no way to see into the future, but maybe that doesn't really matter when they're so much fun to fly!

Just FYI...!

Harrogate, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View gbsbks2010's Feedback (+1958)
    All-About gbsbks2010
    View gbsbks2010's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Radio Controlled Helicopters

Guess what Santa bought for hubby?

I bought a couple of indoor rc helicopters last year for my son and son-in-law.
    Shezz also bought one.

For around 20 quid, they are excellent - heaps of fun

View selkab's Feedback (+1297)
    All-About selkab
    View selkab's Listings
    Forum Posts

Do you know if you could get an RC helicopter that would be powerful enough to put Christmas lights on a 40 foot tall tree. The tree is taller then my ladder and I don't want to rent a versa-lift or bucket truck to get the lights all the way to the top. I always thought an RC helicopter would be cool to use for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by selkab View Post
    Do you know if you could get an RC helicopter that would be powerful enough to put Christmas lights on a 40 foot tall tree. The tree is taller then my ladder and I don't want to rent a versa-lift or bucket truck to get the lights all the way to the top. I always thought an RC helicopter would be cool to use for the job.
    Something wrong with taking a pole and hook up the ladder with you?

All-About selkab
    View selkab's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by damian_steele View Post
    Something wrong with taking a pole and hook up the ladder with you?
    That's what we did this year and we still could not get all the way to the top. Also pretty scary using a pole on the ladder. Need two hands on the pole and one to hold onto the ladder.

That's what we did this year and we still could not get all the way to the top. Also pretty scary using a pole on the ladder. Need two hands on the pole and one to hold onto the ladder.
    OK, so here's the new suggestion: a chainsaw.

The weight might pose a major problem.
    Reckon you would be looking at a fairly expensive one to lift them.

All-About selkab
    View selkab's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MagnetsAndHangers View Post
    The weight might pose a major problem.
    Reckon you would be looking at a fairly expensive one to lift them.
    That's what I'm trying to find out. 1. do they make them big enough 2. How much would a bigger one cost.

Right now I'm thinking of renting a bucket truck or versa-lift for a half day and thinking that would cost $250 or so. If a helicopter cost 3 to 4 times that much it would pay for itself in 3 to 4 years plus I could play with it at other times.

Or you could hire the lift once and fit one or more pulleys (with rope/s) whilst you're up at the top. Then each following year you only have to attach your lights and hoist them up.

Thread Information