eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Copyright Infringement

Default Re: Copyright Infringement

Quote Originally Posted by darklisruthven View Post
    Definitly. I never trust buying from sellers who only use an obvious "stock" photo anyway, so thats another reason to do your own information. On the other side a couple of years ago, I had a spate of people buying things then complaining that I had sent them the item in the photo rather than some different edition.
    They just assumed that every item photo was a "stock" photo- even though its pretty easy to tell whats a seller-taen photo and what is a stock photo. Once I added the disclaimer "The item you are bidding on is the item in the photograph" to my listings, the problems stopped instantly.

I wonder what will happen to pre-filled information if say on here or the other side you input, say, a book ISBN and it loads pre-filled information to your listing?
    @darklisruthven

I do pose a question for you in regards to "stock photos/images"; I as a reseller of products that I rightly have access to via distributors, many of them based in the US and do carry authorized distribution rights; if they are not the manufacture. How do you except someone like, me or those who do not wish to carry the burden of stock on hand? I use stock photos and images of products that I want to sell, but not necessarily want on hand. I do from time to time order a few items just to be on the "safe" side. But again all this information is given to me since I paid for it.... Not to be rude just want some insight as to your reasoning...

Thanks,

John C.
    Cheapstudent

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

I always assume a seller with a mass of stock photos is a drop-shipper. That doesn't mean I won't buy from them, but I bear it in mind as one factor. If something is available from more than one seller, I'm likely to avoid the drop-shipper because they can (not always do, but can) cause problems because they have no direct control over their stock availability. Given a choice I prefer to buy from somebody I know has the stock in hand. Of course, there are plenty of things where something having a stock photo is just fine, or even being dropped shipped doesn't matter - stuff like packing materials for example. I really don't need to see the actual jiffy bag I'm going to be sent.

@bykimbo,

You do have interesting points, I as a "middle-man" do have items drop-shipped though I keep in contact with all my suppliers and their stock is updated on a daily basis. Thus I allot enough headway for countermeasures. Meaning if I see they have 50 in stock I only allot 5 in my stock allowing me to adjust accordingly. Also I am sure there are plenty of sellers whom would rather spend more time getting their inventory entered in on eBid as opposed to having to take pictures all day. For the amount of time it takes to snap a picture, edit, and upload it (10-30 minutes) you could easily have 5-20 items entered in eBid via excel or ninja lister of course. I am sure plenty of sellers would rather use "stock photos" that look half decent. Plus another question is what if they really don't have the item on hand? They may only be using a "dummy"; meaning they ordered one a while ago and they are having their suppliers provide the product... For example they ordered one "demo" product and they listed they have 3 on hand, which they "technically" do because they are trusting the supplier to have those on hand for the duration of their posting. When an order comes in they simply provide the payment to the supplier and the recipients address. Nothing wrong with this right? One they are being honest, two they do not have the overhead costs of having to find room within their home or garage to store that product, and three as items values decrease so do the buyers overall "want" for that item. Thus I think dropshipping is a great way to not have to worry about not selling the product and having "quantity" on hand...

John C.
    Cheapstudent

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CheapStudent View Post
    @bykimbo,

You do have interesting points, I as a "middle-man" do have items drop-shipped though I keep in contact with all my suppliers and their stock is updated on a daily basis. Thus I allot enough headway for countermeasures. Meaning if I see they have 50 in stock I only allot 5 in my stock allowing me to adjust accordingly. Also I am sure there are plenty of sellers whom would rather spend more time getting their inventory entered in on eBid as opposed to having to take pictures all day. For the amount of time it takes to snap a picture, edit, and upload it (10-30 minutes) you could easily have 5-20 items entered in eBid via excel or ninja lister of course. I am sure plenty of sellers would rather use "stock photos" that look half decent. Plus another question is what if they really don't have the item on hand? They may only be using a "dummy"; meaning they ordered one a while ago and they are having their suppliers provide the product... For example they ordered one "demo" product and they listed they have 3 on hand, which they "technically" do because they are trusting the supplier to have those on hand for the duration of their posting. When an order comes in they simply provide the payment to the supplier and the recipients address. Nothing wrong with this right? One they are being honest, two they do not have the overhead costs of having to find room within their home or garage to store that product, and three as items values decrease so do the buyers overall "want" for that item. Thus I think dropshipping is a great way to not have to worry about not selling the product and having "quantity" on hand...

John C.
    Cheapstudent
    I think the advantages for drop-shipping are all with the seller, and I'm looking at the situation as a buyer. Of course there are many professional, organised drop-shippers like yourself out there - but it's also true that the system attracts the lazy and disorganised, so from the buyer's point of view it's about playing the odds. As with everything, the good guys suffer because of the bad guys' rep.

View MPS16's Feedback (+3501)
    All-About MPS16
    View MPS16's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    I think the advantages for drop-shipping are all with the seller, and I'm looking at the situation as a buyer. Of course there are many professional, organised drop-shippers like yourself out there - but it's also true that the system attracts the lazy and disorganised, so from the buyer's point of view it's about playing the odds. As with everything, the good guys suffer because of the bad guys' rep.
    So therefore it follows that it is usually better to buy an item from a seller who actually holds the stock.
    Please Visit My Stores

Meccano Shop
    Postcards Shop
    Stamps Shop
    DVD Shop

I'm free-I'm free
    And freedom tastes of reality
    I'm free-I'm free
    And I'm waiting for you to follow me

TOMMY

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MPS16 View Post
    So therefore it follows that it is usually better to buy an item from a seller who actually holds the stock.
    Which is what I said in post number 12.

As an eBid member what would you consider as a stock photo, is there a real difference?

Name:  1321908256-5635-48.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  17.8 KB
    Does this look like a stock photo?

John C.
    Cheapstudent

View MPS16's Feedback (+3501)
    All-About MPS16
    View MPS16's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    Which is what I said in post number 12.
    Sorry I am under pressure. Just had another 2 sales. Must be doing something wrong.
    Please Visit My Stores

Meccano Shop
    Postcards Shop
    Stamps Shop
    DVD Shop

I'm free-I'm free
    And freedom tastes of reality
    I'm free-I'm free
    And I'm waiting for you to follow me

TOMMY

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CheapStudent View Post
    As an eBid member what would you consider as a stock photo, is there a real difference?

Name:  1321908256-5635-48.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  17.8 KB
    Does this look like a stock photo?

John C.
    Cheapstudent
    Always difficult to tell with a one-off. For me it's a weight of probability which I judge from the whole of a seller's items. In that case if I had to guess I'd say it wasn't a stock photo because the lighting's not very good, but I could easily be wrong. Other things about the listing would probably give more clues.

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MPS16 View Post
    Sorry I am under pressure. Just had another 2 sales. Must be doing something wrong.
    *grin*

Thread Information