Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Exemption granted but visibility greatly reduced

View sidthelamp's Feedback (+541)
    All-About sidthelamp
    View sidthelamp's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Exemption granted but visibility greatly reduced

Quote Originally Posted by sidthelamp View Post
    there are some 64 pages of your products on google products .co.uk under your store name searching a simple title as the one you gave a example of does not come up for me, however simplifing another auction title at random
    Amber earrings - sterling silver ie only the first few words gives a result on page one along with your store name down the left colum
    heres another example took at random

Multi Strand Necklace with Bible Dangle Charm

the full tittle as above comes up page 1 of 1 plus your store on the left

a simplified tittle "multi strand neckless brings up billions of results without yours being there

the same is true for Tilley billions of results but nothing for me if i search Tilley lamp i get results with my store on the left if i refine EG tilley lamp TL10 i get higher results the search seems to be very specific, ive always found it this way, EG if some one is looking for a tilley lamp and just search tilley they will get billions of results there not interested in ie tilley hats, ect, they will get different results searching tilley lantern as opposed to lamp, with jewellery with thousands of sellers and millions of items it looks to me the more refined the search the better the chance of finding what you want or some one finding you, thats how i see it, a detailed search will give you good results , try putting as a experiment CMEJewellery moonstone pendant and see if that increases search results ?
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/under pressure

MY ATTITUDE IS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS!!!
    IF YOU DONT LIKE IT BLAME YOURSELF.

High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
    View redkiteshoard's Feedback (+3018)
    All-About redkiteshoard
    View redkiteshoard's Listings
    Forum Posts

Yep sounds about right.
    So you either have to put in a very detailed description or you have to put in the eBid store name. But wait a minute, how do I know the store name unless I already know eBid rather well!!
    Seems we are being run around in circles.

View cmjewels925's Feedback (+7924)
    All-About cmjewels925
    View cmjewels925's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    Should any of the items ahead of yours not be there? If they're all legitimate search returns, what is *wrong* about the return? Are you not there at all?
    The problem is my items don't appear at all on a broad search, I have to refine the search before I'm listed.

If my items are included on a search for 'sterling silver amber earrings' it would be logical to assume they would also be there on a search for 'amber earrings' or 'silver amber earrings' but they aren't. The amber pendants fare better as they show up on searches for 'silver amber pendant' but, again, not on a search for 'amber pendant'. 'Moonstone' nothing, 'moonstone earrings/pendant' nothing 'moonstone bracelet' all 14 items show up but the earrings and pendants aren't even showing with the addition of sterling and/or silver but need '925' added to the search string to come up.

CMEJewellery For all your jewellery needs.

Beads 'n' Bobs For beads.

Charms 'n' Findings For charms and jewellery making supplies.

All-About cmjewels925
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sidthelamp View Post
    try putting as a experiment CMEJewellery moonstone pendant and see if that increases search results ?
    There's no point - I don't want to find my own items, I want BUYERS to find my items.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cmjewels925 View Post
    The problem is my items don't appear at all on a broad search, I have to refine the search before I'm listed.

If my items are included on a search for 'sterling silver amber earrings' it would be logical to assume they would also be there on a search for 'amber earrings' or 'silver amber earrings' but they aren't. The amber pendants fare better as they show up on searches for 'silver amber pendant' but, again, not on a search for 'amber pendant'. 'Moonstone' nothing, 'moonstone earrings/pendant' nothing 'moonstone bracelet' all 14 items show up but the earrings and pendants aren't even showing with the addition of sterling and/or silver but need '925' added to the search string to come up.
    I wonder if Google has started capping the number of items returned - or if it already did, is reducing the cap? Does it make any difference what order you put the key words in? I'm just trying to think of possible explanations - because once you know why something is happening it becomes possible to think about possible ways around it (one hopes!)

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

I've just done a search for "silver amber earrings" and your items are there a-plenty. What isn't there is your shop in the shop list. But if you change the sort order to lowest price first instead of "relevant" you pop right up. To me this suggests that the other stores being loaded are doing a better job of scoring on Google's relevance checks. Of course, since we don't know what they are checking it's a toughie to suggest what should be altered to improve one's score. The only thing that springs to mind instantly is maybe move your title text above the "join here" link.

View sidthelamp's Feedback (+541)
    All-About sidthelamp
    View sidthelamp's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cmjewels925 View Post
    There's no point - I don't want to find my own items, I want BUYERS to find my items.
    specific

ok fair enough still looks to me your gonna have to find key words that are more search friendly ie more specific i dont think the problem your having is new there have been threads on this very subject before, since google dropped some sites and gained otheres ie partners some ebid items show a lot better, with jewllery it seems theres a lot more high street partners, i can only think to try some new/juggled key words in items that have dropped and see if you can turn the results around,
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/under pressure

MY ATTITUDE IS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS!!!
    IF YOU DONT LIKE IT BLAME YOURSELF.

All-About cmjewels925
    Forum Posts

I wonder if Google has started capping the number of items returned - or if it already did, is reducing the cap? Does it make any difference what order you put the key words in? I'm just trying to think of possible explanations - because once you know why something is happening it becomes possible to think about possible ways around it (one hopes!)
    No, it doesn't matter what order the words in the search are in and it doesn't seem to matter in the title, either. Now that we have the extra characters I edited the earrings so the titles start 'Amber Earrings' but it didn't make any difference.

Capping the number of items returned would seem strange even by Google's standards. If they are capping they're using a different (and seemingly random) quantity for each search.

The only thing I could come up with is that Google are seeing exemptions as 'bad' so sites are actually benefiting from *not* jumping through Google's hoops.
    Last edited by cmjewels925; 11th November 2011 at 11:49 PM.

All-About cmjewels925
    Forum Posts

I've just done a search for "silver amber earrings" and your items are there a-plenty. What isn't there is your shop in the shop list. But if you change the sort order to lowest price first instead of "relevant" you pop right up. To me this suggests that the other stores being loaded are doing a better job of scoring on Google's relevance checks. Of course, since we don't know what they are checking it's a toughie to suggest what should be altered to improve one's score. The only thing that springs to mind instantly is maybe move your title text above the "join here" link.
    I've been meaning to do that for ages but have kept putting it off until eBid finally let us know how many characters can be replaced at a time in bulk edit. I'm also, for some reason, slightly apprehensive about moving large sections of code at the moment.

cmjewels925 said:
    "The only thing I could come up with is that Google are seeing exemptions as 'bad' so sites are actually benefiting from *not* jumping through Google's hoops."

Could well be right as my sales have been absolutely miserable since all this Google nonsense started. Used to sell two or three items a week, but now I can't seem to sell at all. Two sales in about the past six weeks. There's something terribly wrong somewhere now.
    I'm beginning to think I might have shot myself in the foot by applying for exemptions.

Thread Information