Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Any crafters with ideas willing to lend a hand please. Wedding cake stand.

Forum Lurker
    View Icingmaiden's Feedback (+2)
    All-About Icingmaiden
    View Icingmaiden's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Any crafters with ideas willing to lend a hand please. Wedding cake stand.

Evening all.

I am making my own wedding cake stand for a huge wedding cake, I have the main part made the top (round) with strong legs for support.

I had the idea of making a skirt to fit round it to cover up the legs, but a skirt to be removable so I can fit metal poles throught the legs for transporting the cake then taken out once in situ and the skirt added using velcro.

I was going to make the skirt out of a piece of cushion flooring that I had left from doing a floor, cut to size then sprayed with silver chrome plasticote spray paint and then using silver material draped with a diamonte booch for decoration.

Well I thought I had better do a sample piece of cushioned vinyl with the paint to see if it would work and I have found it doesn't, the spray paint doesn't dry it stays sticky I have a feeling the paint is reacting with the vinyl and perhaps melting it so it won't dry.

What I need now is some ideas of how to or what I could use in place of this vinyl flooring. I need something that is pliable yet stiff enough to look like the stand sides and something to be coloured silver or is silver in colour. Any clever bods out there willing to share an idea and help me please.

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Any crafters with ideas willing to lend a hand please. Wedding cake stand.

Wow, sounds ambitious, and cool, too. Not a crafter here or a baker, but your question brings to mind a TV show on the Food Network, The Ace Of Cakes, where the decorators do all kinds of wild looking things with cakes. Here is a link to some of the videos:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/ace-of-ca...deo/index.html

Perhaps there's something in there that might be of help/interest.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Any crafters with ideas willing to lend a hand please. Wedding cake stand.

Armstrong makes a product called "embossing leveler" you can apply it to the vinyl. Once dry (fairly quick) you can then paint it.

I am a Commercial flooring contractor. In order for our adhesives to cure/ dry properly when installing new floors over vinyl we use it.
    There are also quite a few primers you can use but Im not sure what is available there. If Ardex products are available use P82 non porous primer.

Forum Lurker
    View Icingmaiden's Feedback (+2)
    All-About Icingmaiden
    View Icingmaiden's Listings
    Forum Posts

Many thanks to you both, I have noted your sugestions.

Thread Information