eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this gold real or fake?

Forum Newbie
    All-About AbbyJ
    View AbbyJ's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Is this gold real or fake?

I really just want to prove one way or the other whether it is real gold, it really doesn't look it or feel like it to me, but as it's hallmarked i need to prove it to open an 'item not as described' case. I have had so many bad experiences with that site lately, I plan on trying this site from now on, hopefully things will be better here! I will take your advice and take the bracelet to a jewelers, i think that's the only way I'll know for sure.

Forum Lurker
    View HellsGrandma's Feedback (+443)
    All-About HellsGrandma
    View HellsGrandma's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AbbyJ View Post
    I really just want to prove one way or the other whether it is real gold, it really doesn't look it or feel like it to me, but as it's hallmarked i need to prove it to open an 'item not as described' case. I have had so many bad experiences with that site lately, I plan on trying this site from now on, hopefully things will be better here! I will take your advice and take the bracelet to a jewelers, i think that's the only way I'll know for sure.
    If you have one of them cash for gold places near you pop in there with it they will tell you if its real gold or not .

View luvintage's Feedback (+468)
    All-About luvintage
    View luvintage's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBridger View Post
    Most towns have jewellers who will buy gold. Just take into one of them and they will certainly tell you if its gold.

If they offer to buy it from you, you can just refuse their offer and walk out.
    Great idea!

Also, you can take it to a jeweler and tell them you want an insurance appraisal on the bracelet. They usually charge a nominal fee. The fee is not nearly as much as a detailed appraisal(as in a diamond ring).

Tony's idea seams easisest though.
    Welcome to all of our eBid shops.

If you haven't already registered on Ebid, PLEASE CLICK HERE! Registering is FAST, EASY and FREE!

http://baubles-bangles-and-beads.ebid.net/

Forum Saint
    View Oldandintheway's Feedback (+385)
    All-About Oldandintheway
    View Oldandintheway's Listings
    Forum Posts

If it walk's like a duck 'n talk's like a duck - It's probably a duck!
    You're senses about it are most likely correct.
    The only way to know for sure is to get it tested.
    One jump ring in the photo is a different colour. That makes me suspicious immediately!

All-About luvintage
    Forum Posts

[QUOTE=AbbyJ;1387986 I plan on trying this site from now on, hopefully things will be better here! [/QUOTE]

I have learned so much from these forums. One thing that I learned is that before buying from ANY site, it is wise to contact the seller before actually buying the item.

Secondly, to always ask for an invoice before paying.

I believe that this is very good advice from the forums and it really is applicable to all of the different sites.

If you haven't already registered on Ebid, PLEASE CLICK HERE! Registering is FAST, EASY and FREE!

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Tiffany's had a very expensive formal appraisal fee, and the neclace would have had to be mailed. The shop manager did an informal "look at" and even showed me items to compare with. They even showed me "a real Tiffany" box. What a learning experience. They did not charge me 1 penny.

When looking at "the real thing" it was so obvious. I felt like I was looking at junk, even though it was sterling silver.

All-About luvintage
    Forum Posts

I had a different experience with Tiffany-not a bad one, just really different.

I was working for a well known Charity in their on-line sales division and the piece was donated. I contacted Tiffany via email and it took awhile to find a person who could help me.

But I found out that they keep older pieces when they can find them. I asked if the piece was theirs. They said that they could not confirm it. But, we had the best gold and diamond testers available at the time and I knew it was 18k and the many stones were genuine diamonds. The piece was c1950's.

I asked the person I was dealing with if they wanted to puchase the pin for their vault but she said no that wasn't their policy.

I listed the item, said it was marked but not confirmed. Emailed the listing number and link to the lady I was dealing with, just in case, and suddenly a "secret or private" bidder appeared on the scene. I emailed and asked the person if they were from the store. They said no, they were a third party buyer and they were buying it for someone else who did not want to be identified.

The pin brooch sold for almost $3,000.00. It was great for the charity and I always wondered about the "private" buyer.

My experience with the purse was much the same as yours with the Tiffany store. They were very helpful and pointed out the flaws in the purse and showed me some things to look for. The purse also belonged to the charity.

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Wow! a c 1950's piece............wonder if that "private bidder" headed strait for the Tiffany vaults, or their own vault.
    I think they are a cool company!

The brooch was probably worth more than $3,000; but that was a nice donation amount.

All-About luvintage
    Forum Posts

It was sooooo cool Burgy!

It was a ballerina. It was fairly large and weighty. Back then-it's been about 10yrs- gold wasn't as costly as it is now.

I tested the thing so many times I thought I'd ruin the equipment because I just couldn't believe it was what it was! The man who told me about gold that I mentioned earlier saw it online and came to see it personally. (He didn't live very far away). I was happy when he said yes, that I was reading the tests correctly.

I always wondered two things-who was the buyer, really and did the person who donated it ever find out its worth. It was thrown into a bin at the collection door.

Forum Newbie
    All-About AbbyJ
    View AbbyJ's Listings
    Forum Posts

Wow that's a great story! And what a generous person to donate something so valuable! Well looks like my problems are over, heard back from the seller and they are happy to refund me on return so no need for testing after all. Thanks for all your help, looking forward to purchasing on this site now!

Thread Information