eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this gold real or fake?

Forum Newbie
    All-About AbbyJ
    View AbbyJ's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Is this gold real or fake?

I bought this bracelet on 'the other' auction site, It was listed as brand new in box from Ernest Jones the jewellers, 9ct gold. I have other jewellery from Ernest Jones and it's all high quality, so i was expecting this bracelet to be the same, however when it arrived i was really dissapointed. It's really light, only weighs 1g, and is really yellow, it doesn't look or feel like real gold at all. it does look brand new, and came in a brand new Ernest Jones case, it's hallmarked on one link but even the hallmarks don't look right. is there an expert here who can tell me if it looks like a fake?

Forum Saint
    View Pink_Panther's Feedback (+177)
    All-About Pink_Panther
    View Pink_Panther's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Is this gold real or fake?

I'd open a dispute for not as described.

You are your own 'expert' you know what a real item should look like.
    Anyway it doesn't matter if it's fake or not if you are unhappy with your purchase.
    The seller is obliged to accept returns and refund payment. That's IMHO.

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

The only way to know for sure is to have the item tested for gold content by a jeweler, as markings can be faked as well as brand names, though 373 is the European marking for 9 kt. gold.

Short of this, unless you have a gold tester kit yourself and know how to use it, there's not really any way to tell whether or not the item is genuine, not that I'm aware of anyhow, sorry.

Oh and welcome to eBid.

Best wishes for many sales to all,
    Last edited by suesjools; 27th October 2011 at 07:05 PM.

View luvintage's Feedback (+468)
    All-About luvintage
    View luvintage's Listings
    Forum Posts

Have you tried contacting Ernest Jones to see if this is one of their pieces?

I once had to contact Tiffanys to see if a brooch that had their name on it was really theirs. Also, I know that you can take a name brand purse into their(the manufacturer's) retail store for identification and they will tell you if it is fake or not. (I've done that too!).

A man who deals in gold once told me that 8k and 9k gold are used in tooth fillings. Whether that is true or not, I really don't know. I would think that a high end, high quality store would use the better grades of gold.-I admit I probably don't know what I'm talking about here but it's just a thought.

You may be able to find a website for Ernest Jones and they may be able to either identify the piece for you or at least tell you if they use 9k gold. In this tough economy, in order to keep jewelry affordable, they may do that.

At any rate, I think Pink Panther is absolutely right if you are not pleased with it, I'd seek a refund.

Just a new thoughts. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Welcome to all of our eBid shops.

If you haven't already registered on Ebid, PLEASE CLICK HERE! Registering is FAST, EASY and FREE!

http://baubles-bangles-and-beads.ebid.net/

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by luvintage View Post
    Have you tried contacting Ernest Jones to see if this is one of their pieces?

I once had to contact Tiffanys to see if a brooch that had their name on it was really theirs. Also, I know that you can take a name brand purse into their(the manufacturer's) retail store for identification and they will tell you if it is fake or not. (I've done that too!).

A man who deals in gold once told me that 8k and 9k gold are used in tooth fillings. Whether that is true or not, I really don't know. I would think that a high end, high quality store would use the better grades of gold.-I admit I probably don't know what I'm talking about here but it's just a thought.

You may be able to find a website for Ernest Jones and they may be able to either identify the piece for you or at least tell you if they use 9k gold. In this tough economy, in order to keep jewelry affordable, they may do that.

At any rate, I think Pink Panther is absolutely right if you are not pleased with it, I'd seek a refund.

Just a new thoughts. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Good point re: contacting the manufacturer, I hadn't thought of that.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

Forum Newbie
    All-About AbbyJ
    View AbbyJ's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thanks for your replies.yes I had thought of taking it in to Ernest Jones to verify it but was a bit concerned about what they might do if it is fake, mightn't they seize it? not sure how these things work. It really, really doesn't look or feel like real gold, and the seller specified that returns are not accepted in the listing. I've messaged them to say I would like to return as not happy with the quality of it but haven't heard back yet.

View luvintage's Feedback (+468)
    All-About luvintage
    View luvintage's Listings
    Forum Posts

You may want to examine your options, on the other site, as they do have recourse for unsatisfactory sales.

It sounds like you've had enough experience with quality products to know the difference.

Best wishes with whatever course of action you decide upon.

Welcome to Ebid and I hope that you will free to shop this site also.
    Welcome to all of our eBid shops.

If you haven't already registered on Ebid, PLEASE CLICK HERE! Registering is FAST, EASY and FREE!

http://baubles-bangles-and-beads.ebid.net/

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AbbyJ View Post
    Thanks for your replies.yes I had thought of taking it in to Ernest Jones to verify it but was a bit concerned about what they might do if it is fake, mightn't they seize it? not sure how these things work. It really, really doesn't look or feel like real gold, and the seller specified that returns are not accepted in the listing. I've messaged them to say I would like to return as not happy with the quality of it but haven't heard back yet.
    I took a Tiffany necklace right into a local shop. They graciously examined it, confirming it was not theirs; they also confirmed the box it came in was a fake. The necklace was sterling, with all the phoney credentials. They chuckled because their name was embossed on the necklace. They did not try to seize it; and also stated they have never gone into a dispute with online sites that are having sales of fakes in their name. I was really surprised. They even went so far as to offer me a catalog to compare their products in contrast to the phoney stuff. I was impressed. If I ever wanted a "real Tiffany" I would be sure to go directly to them.

View TonyBridger's Feedback (+252)
    All-About TonyBridger
    View TonyBridger's Listings
    Forum Posts

Most towns have jewellers who will buy gold. Just take into one of them and they will certainly tell you if its gold.

If they offer to buy it from you, you can just refuse their offer and walk out.
    My posts only state my own opinions, unless I've stolen them from someone else

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

It could be real gold and still a fake. This was the case with the Tiffany necklace I took in. I ended up ripping off the hook with their name on it. It was useless as a Tiffany & only had melt silver value.

Thread Information