Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Which Facebook Category do I Choose?

Default Which Facebook Category do I Choose?

Hello all,

After various distractions (funerals, long hours helping with the harvest) I can now get back to getting my ebid account up and running.

I was intending on setting up a facebook account. I don't have one. My problem is I do not know which category to choose. Do I just go for a bog standard sign up? Underneath that form it has "Create a Page for a celebrity, band or business." Do I choose one of the categories from there?

Confused

CMOT.

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Which Facebook Category do I Choose?

Good question - unfortunately, I don't use FB, so can't advise. Off the top of my head I'd suggest business, though others may have different takes on this.

Oh and welcome back.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

I might just sign up for the normal personal account (or whatever facebook call it), then change it later. Am still umming and ahhing whether to use facebook. I'm leaning more towards twitter, but unless I try both I can't tell which is better.

Forum Lurker
    View CNCJEWELRY's Feedback (+778)
    All-About CNCJEWELRY
    View CNCJEWELRY's Listings
    Forum Posts

ICMOT,
    You must start your FaceBook business by just opening up a personal site first. This should be your full name and if a married female to include your maiden name. There are all kind of setting for privacy so you can choose you sees your site, such as friends only, friends of friends and so on. To get a friend you must invite them to join your site and if you plan to do this as a business you need as many friends as you can get and it takes a while.
    One other thing, you can after you get so many friends you can choose your username for you url. Such as mine is https://www.facebook.com/billydmabe. Go to my page and Look around to get the hang of things and click on different areas. Then go to the bottom of the page and click on help for instructions to set up different things.
    Facebook is in the process of making a big overhall of the entire site and most of us do not like all the changes so far but we will get use to them. Just for information last year I had a very succesfull Sterling Silver Jewelry Web Site and sales were going great. I was making profits and I had several additional program with monthly fees to help the sales go. I used Google Adwords and so on. I had and still do have over 3000 followers on twitter. I had over 1200 friends on the personal facebook site and my buiness page now called Facebook Page had 1000 fans now called likes. But my business took a nose dive and starting loosing money so I closed everything. I unfriended most of my friends and closed my FaceBook Page which was https://www.facebook.com/cncsilverjewelry which is closed now. I started a new one called https://www.facebook.com/cncjewelrycom and I only have 29 Likes. At 25 likes you can assign you a username like cncjewelry.com.
    Now that you have started your personal page and have a username start sending out friends request. You will see a link create a page. Click on it and first choose your business category this depends on whether you have a brick and mortar store or just on line. Their are 11 categories and sub cats to choose from. For example my is brands and products and then Jewelry and Watches.
    Now that you have a Facebook page you start by inviting your friends to join. You put links on your signature for forums, your web page and everywhere you can find. Now you start going to other business pages and Like their site by clicking on the like button. A good idea is to click on like and then in the comment box say something like a new like and please like my site. You must copy and paste you link to your Facebook page or click on link and add the url there. Then you hope that they like you back.
    This is a short buy long version of Facebook. I have used the facebook adds which worked but cost more than Google Adwords. It is a great social media for advertising your business but it is very time consuming and takes a awfule lot of your time.
    Hope this help!
    Billy
    Last edited by CNCJEWELRY; 22nd September 2011 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Hit the Enter Key by Mistake!

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

I use a personal one, which I use only for family and friends...........a few of which are from eBid. I do not do any business on it, but occasionally do mention the YDC charity auctions on behalf of all sellers. Most people there don't know my eBid name........which is how I want it. I may open a business one someday, but as eBid is only my downsizing my house venue, the business page I'd make on facebook would more likely be for my art. I do use twitter for ebid, also.

I believe the set-up for each type is similar. Good luck!
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

View mrsandman's Feedback (+518)
    All-About mrsandman
    View mrsandman's Listings
    Forum Posts

There people that advertise on facebook. I looked up ' ebid' in the search bar and came up with a long and ongoing thread . Hope this helps

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Wow, CNC, great detailed info., you obviously know your Facebook.

Shout out to a fellow NC jewelry seller/lover.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

@CNCJEWELRY, thanks very much for all the info. It will give me something to mull over in the wee hours. I don't think I will be listing enough items to make it worthwhile. My first intention is to get some stuff out the house (make room for more stuff!), but if I ever get 500+ auctions on here simultaneously I may change my mind about facebook.

I have always avoided twitter, facebook and now google+ like the plague. Never trusted them on privacy issues or security.

Thread Information