eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I have to use the stock photo?

Default Do I have to use the stock photo?

I listed some books and when I put in the ISBN it put a stock photo on the listing. Personally the only thing I use stock photos on are factory sealed/new. Unless its a collectible of some sort. Old books really are not factory sealed or new. Is there a way to opt out of that or just don't put the ISBN in the item info. I just put it on the listing.

Default Re: Do I have to use the stock photo?

Apparently Google Shopping is going to stop listing books that don't have the ISBN entered in the appropriate box. Inside the description won't cut it.

When I enter the ISBN and save the listing, it brings up a panel labeled "Update Product Info". Fill in something, even if it's just changing a lower-cap word to upper-cap. Then click the "Update Product Info" button at the bottom. This should take you to another page for the stock photo. If there's a picture listed in the "Or fetch from the web" delete it. Back out and save.

I have USUALLY been able to get rid of the stock photo this way. Of course, I always have a photo of the actual book that I'm selling.

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

I think there won't be many sites left that don't use stock photos soon.

Most of the trading sites I use have stock photos...eBid is one of the few that doesn't most of the time

Having said that the sites I use that have stock photos don't have a facility to upload pictures of rare books as they aren't in their catalogue

Not that using a stock photo is a bad thing, but it really doesn't show the buyer what they are getting versus an actual picture of the item. When it comes to used objects just me but I kind of what to see them.

Quote Originally Posted by theweaverboy View Post
    Not that using a stock photo is a bad thing, but it really doesn't show the buyer what they are getting versus an actual picture of the item. When it comes to used objects just me but I kind of what to see them.
    The Stock image doesn't replace your image, so I don't see it as a problem, my books show the stock image, plus the actual item, so any wear & tear on the item is still shown in my listing.

I must admit if the stock image is large I usually, copy it reduce it in size, & upload it again, so it doesn't take up too much of the page.
    Last edited by Gothicina; 29th August 2011 at 04:11 AM.
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

My own photographs are so awful I tend to prefer stock photos..lol

When I said that to someone on another forum she suggested I scan the front cover and use that as my photo...and do you know what?...I couldn't tell it from the stock photograph.

I can see why someone might want to see a photo of the actual item if it had differences in it that might need to be pointed out but when selling new items here I tend to use stock photos (I have permission to use the ones I add here)

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Agree 110%. As a seller I use my own pix, awful as they are at times, while as a buyer I like to see a pic of the actual item, warts and all.

Best wishes for many sales to all,
    Last edited by suesjools; 29th August 2011 at 09:41 AM.

View gazza's Feedback (+2)
    All-About gazza
    View gazza's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TiasTreasures View Post
    Apparently Google Shopping is going to stop listing books that don't have the ISBN entered in the appropriate box. Inside the description won't cut it.

When I enter the ISBN and save the listing, it brings up a panel labeled "Update Product Info". Fill in something, even if it's just changing a lower-cap word to upper-cap. Then click the "Update Product Info" button at the bottom. This should take you to another page for the stock photo. If there's a picture listed in the "Or fetch from the web" delete it. Back out and save.

I have USUALLY been able to get rid of the stock photo this way. Of course, I always have a photo of the actual book that I'm selling.
    Please do not remove Stock Photos from our database, we have been trying to build a library of them and removing them goes against this effort.

If stock photos aren't appreciated on item detail pages then let us know and we can discuss how they can be hidden.
    eBid.net
    Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy
    GBP and USD Affiliate Program Re-Launched .. Promote eBid and earn
    Got a problem? Record it for us using http://screencast-o-matic.com/

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View gyronny's Feedback (+1772)
    All-About gyronny
    View gyronny's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gazza View Post
    Please do not remove Stock Photos from our database, we have been trying to build a library of them and removing them goes against this effort.

If stock photos aren't appreciated on item detail pages then let us know and we can discuss how they can be hidden.

I'd prefer the option to hide them. I use scans or photos of my own stock

Quote Originally Posted by gazza View Post

Maybe simply asking the lister if they want a stock photo or not. A tick box, or just do you want to use this stock photo in you listing? Yes or no. If you want to ask if the stock photo provided is correct first I see no harm. And then if they would like to use it.

Sorry but I as it seems most other as well like to buy used items like books, DVDs, and CDs with actual picture that is what I provide on my listings. In life I have worried about the problems of others and not enough for mine. In this world nothing is ideal and it can always get worse.

Thread Information