eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do I have to use the stock photo?

Default Re: Do I have to use the stock photo?

Quote Originally Posted by gazza View Post
    Please do not remove Stock Photos from our database, we have been trying to build a library of them and removing them goes against this effort.

If stock photos aren't appreciated on item detail pages then let us know and we can discuss how they can be hidden.
    I apologize. I didn't realize I was removing the picture from the data base, I thought it just stopped it from showing on my listing.

My bad. Won't do it again. Cancel my previous tip.

However, in that case, will you please add a function to let us hide the stock photo? In the case of used books, it is important to show the image of the actual item being offered so the buyer can see any damage.

A stock photo is almost always a perfect copy, and a buyer could easily be misled. I can see this causing returns and negative feedback, which is why I do NOT want to show the stock photo. Very, very few of the books I am listing are in mint or even near mint condition.

Forum Saint
    North Warwickshire, Warwickshire, United Kingdom
    View Tiskets's Feedback (+1051)
    All-About Tiskets
    View Tiskets's Listings
    Forum Posts

I would prefer the option of showing the actual book I have for sale so the buyer knows what they are getting.

I may be misunderstanding (not surprising!) but up to now I use the add photos up to 5, with a note in the description to say please see my photos of the actual book.

It doesn't matter if it is a stock photo when you know your book is a new mint copy. But i have many old and/or rare books yet to list and I want the buyer to see my actual book. As a book buyer, it doesn't matter how honest the seller is, photos are always better, especially for rare books.

View gazza's Feedback (+2)
    All-About gazza
    View gazza's Listings
    Forum Posts

It sounds as if you are saying the stock photo overrides any photos you upload, this is not the case. Any photos you upload are shown as thumbnails and on the item details page. The stock photo is just there out of interest.
    eBid.net
    Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy
    GBP and USD Affiliate Program Re-Launched .. Promote eBid and earn
    Got a problem? Record it for us using http://screencast-o-matic.com/

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Then we will have the folks who will claim the stock photo's should be used to compare a new product with what we picture.
    Personally the only time I will think about using a stock photo is if I'm selling something brand new in a sealed box but then I still will show pictures of the actual box to show it's condition along with a stock photo (if available). Otherwise it's what you see is what you get.
    A tick box option would be nice or at least the opportunity to remove the stock picture from our listings which I believe we probably can do easily enough without removing it from the database. I can't believe removing a stock picture from an individual listing would remove it from the database as we use our listings continuosly to "sell a similar item" and remove pictures then whether stock photo or our own.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza View Post
    It sounds as if you are saying the stock photo overrides any photos you upload, this is not the case. Any photos you upload are shown as thumbnails and on the item details page. The stock photo is just there out of interest.
    We all know that many buyers do not read carefully, and many people see what they want to see. Some buyers are going to expect a book that looks like the perfect stock photo, which is shown prominently ABOVE any picture provided by the seller. That means I will have to refund shipping and handling, in both directions, when the buyer decides the book was "not as described." And probably get negative feedback on top of it.

The stock image should not be there "just out of interest." It should be there only when the seller does not have a photo of the actual book being offered.

The fact that the thumbnail is the actual book being offered is irrelevant; it is too small to show any flaws.

Quote Originally Posted by TiasTreasures View Post
    We all know that many buyers do not read carefully, and many people see what they want to see. Some buyers are going to expect a book that looks like the perfect stock photo, which is shown prominently ABOVE any picture provided by the seller. That means I will have to refund shipping and handling, in both directions, when the buyer decides the book was "not as described." And probably get negative feedback on top of it.

The stock image should not be there "just out of interest." It should be there only when the seller does not have a photo of the actual book being offered.

The fact that the thumbnail is the actual book being offered is irrelevant; it is too small to show any flaws.

Sorry I don't follow you.

The thumbnail of your image is shown on gallery view, showroom view, & at the top left of the listing, next to the store notice

When you scroll down you see prefilled information, if an image is included it states stock photo pretty much the same as you'd see on Amazon, Alibris, Abesbooks or any other site.
    Most of stock images are under 300 pixels high.

Unlike those other sites,
    on eBid you can show your own image of the actual item.

That comes next, (with thumbnails below it if you use more than one) your image is up to 600 x 600 pixels in size.
    Last edited by Gothicina; 29th August 2011 at 09:03 PM.
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

There is (at least!) two sides to this. The actual sellers of rare / unusual / expensive books give all information of interest to their buyer.

My books, like many others, are second-hand general fiction in the main, nothing rare. I give size, condition, number of pages, original cover price and a precis of the blurb. I have decided not to use the ISBN and as usual take my own photo of the item.

But I have only a few books (and am not a business seller) so I have time to photo and list them individually.
    --Linda--
    all feedback from eBid

Quote Originally Posted by CarnoustieCats View Post
    There is (at least!) two sides to this. The actual sellers of rare / unusual / expensive books give all information of interest to their buyer.

My books, like many others, are second-hand general fiction in the main, nothing rare. I give size, condition, number of pages, original cover price and a precis of the blurb. I have decided not to use the ISBN and as usual take my own photo of the item.

But I have only a few books (and am not a business seller) so I have time to photo and list them individually.
    Having a stock photo available is fine for some sellers, who are offering their books only as reading copies. It saves them the work of taking a picture. No problem as long as the buyer realizes it is not a picture of the actual book being offered.

Using eBid's ISBN panel is only going to matter for Google Shopping. It just won't get listed there, and I'm not sure how important that is.

Using eBid's ISBN panel is only going to matter for Google Shopping. It just won't get listed there, and I'm not sure how important that is.[/QUOTE]

.. I am being lazy I suppose - the thought of going through all the books again to add the ISBN puts me off (at the moment anyway - may be a job for a long cold winter!!!)
    --Linda--
    all feedback from eBid

Forum Master
    Penarth, The Vale of Glamorgan, United Kingdom
    View Salomina27's Feedback (+273)
    All-About Salomina27
    View Salomina27's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quite frankly I dont see the problem. I usually take my own photos of books for the reasons mentioned and the stock photo is there too (same for my music cds) it doesnt bother me having both.
    Its just a sign of the times, just as the ISBN numbers are. I give detailed descriptions of my books aswell as the condition in any case and can upload as many photos as I wish to show any extra detail.
    We have to evolve and keep abreast of things, especially in order to grow more. I dont always like changes especially the older I get but when they are done for good reason I accept and even welcome them sometimes

Thread Information