Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Streamlining YDC

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Streamlining YDC

Quote Originally Posted by burgyeb View Post
    Seems there has always been a means of opting out of the YDC competition, just break one or more rule(s). There has always been sellers who start early & run late; who list with a bin price, etc. Actually if you create a universal opt out signal, someone will want to break "that rule" as well. It is just a part of human nature to enjoy breaking rules. Also, sometimes people just make mistakes. They are trying to be a part of giving to a good cause, not be saddled by alot of rules.
    Agree 110%.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

Seems there has always been a means of opting out of the YDC competition, just break one or more rule(s). There has always been sellers who start early & run late; who list with a bin price, etc. Actually if you create a universal opt out signal, someone will want to break "that rule" as well. It is just a part of human nature to enjoy breaking rules. Also, sometimes people just make mistakes. They are trying to be a part of giving to a good cause, not be saddled by alot of rules.
    I think if you give people ONE GOOD EASY OBVIOUS WAY to OPT OUT of the competition part of the charity auctions, then they will be less apt to 'want to break the rules'.....if opting out is what they are trying to accomplish (which, I would assume it is....except for a few newbies who sometimes get the date set wrong accidently). I think the NC or OO in the title would be a good idea....might keep the other 'rules' from being broken so much, and which are harder to track.
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HerMajesty View Post
    I think if you give people ONE GOOD EASY OBVIOUS WAY to OPT OUT of the competition part of the charity auctions, then they will be less apt to 'want to break the rules'.....if opting out is what they are trying to accomplish (which, I would assume it is....except for a few newbies who sometimes get the date set wrong accidently). I think the NC or OO in the title would be a good idea....might keep the other 'rules' from being broken so much, and which are harder to track.
    YDC rocks for me. If NC or OO is used, I plan to apply for percentage rights of 1% of the profits (of course to go to my charity).

Do you see how any "rule" can lead to some sorts wanting to break it. But that's ok; I predict that someone will vote to break it one day.

In conclusion: Whatever..........rocks your boat!

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

YDC rocks for me. If NC or OO is used, I plan to apply for percentage rights of 1% of the profits (of course to go to my charity).

Do you see how any "rule" can lead to some sorts wanting to break it. But that's ok; I predict that someone will vote to break it one day.

Sorry if I am still jet-lagged and dense.....I don't understand what you mean by the % of profits? The only thing I see 'opting out of the comptition' does is prevent a particular seller (like me) from naming the next charity and running the totals thread. All the money from all the YDC auctions still go to the charities chosen by the eBidders.

I don't think people try to break the rules, and I believe we are trying to find ways to make the process easier for Vonz to determine who WANTS to name the next charity based on what rules currently exist. I believe the YDC helps many charities. It would be simpler, and might mean fewer rules, if we all only raised funds for the nominated charity.....but that's not what people want. I like the variety.

A person cannot predict which .99 auction might be the winner. Personally, I gave myself a migraine stressing over it when I won, so I prefer not to 'win' the competition. However, I'm ready, willing and able to list and bid for good charities. Easy opt out is great by me......and wouldn't be breaking the rules if it were an option.

The YDC is not broken, but it sounds like Vonz is finding it a bit unhandy keeping track of things as they are. All we are doing is trying to make her somewhat thankless job easier.

I don't like rocking boats.........I get seasick!! lol
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

I don't understand a word of that, sorry. Can you explain what you're talking about. What percentage? What has putting a code on the end to denote "I don't want to nominate next month, thanks" got to do with percentages?

Do you see how any "rule" can lead to some sorts wanting to break it.
    Nope, sorry, I'm a rule follower by nature and find "mess it up for the sake of it" impossible to understand - vandals mystify me.

But that's ok; I predict that someone will vote to break it one day.

I suppose - but I still don't really know what you're talking about. I don't really know if the "problem" Vonz has identified is a major problem at all, but she's the one doing all the work so she certainly has a right to that opinion... but I really don't see what the problem is with her wanting to address the situation, and coding exclusions instead of making her work it out individually seems simple enough - I'm amazed it's created bad feeling and argument. Again. Seems like if anybody suggests anything to do with the YDC somebody reacts as if their sacred cow is being slaughtered.

Forum Saint
    North Warwickshire, Warwickshire, United Kingdom
    View Tiskets's Feedback (+1051)
    All-About Tiskets
    View Tiskets's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HerMajesty View Post
    Sorry if I am still jet-lagged and dense.....I don't understand what you mean by the % of profits? The only thing I see 'opting out of the comptition' does is prevent a particular seller (like me) from naming the next charity and running the totals thread. All the money from all the YDC auctions still go to the charities chosen by the eBidders.

I don't think people try to break the rules, and I believe we are trying to find ways to make the process easier for Vonz to determine who WANTS to name the next charity based on what rules currently exist. I believe the YDC helps many charities. It would be simpler, and might mean fewer rules, if we all only raised funds for the nominated charity.....but that's not what people want. I like the variety.

A person cannot predict which .99 auction might be the winner. Personally, I gave myself a migraine stressing over it when I won, so I prefer not to 'win' the competition. However, I'm ready, willing and able to list and bid for good charities. Easy opt out is great by me......and wouldn't be breaking the rules if it were an option.

The YDC is not broken, but it sounds like Vonz is finding it a bit unhandy keeping track of things as they are. All we are doing is trying to make her somewhat thankless job easier.

I don't like rocking boats.........I get seasick!! lol
    Absolutely agree! I said this in my earlier thread and never, ever, did I think I was breaking any rules by listing over .99pence. I feel quite hurt that people should think that way. In fact when I entered into my first YDC, I asked in amongst other things, if it was OK to list over the .99pence and was told yes if I didn't want to be able to nominate one of the charities if my item made a lot of money. This is absolutely fine by me, see my first thread answer.. It is also clearly stated in the Announcement thread that listing a more expensive item was up the the discretion of the seller.

I do agree we should stick to the dates 24-28th which it also states in the announcement thread. To be honest, I've only noticed one person not doing this.

I don't think Vonz started this discussion thread thinking anything other than making things more clear for everyone and I do hope those who like to list items for both the nominated charity and our chosen charity at the same time will be allowed to continue. Except for my first time, I have always included both charities and bid on the nominated charity and other peeps' as well.

Hope it all gets sorted, it's sad when feathers get ruffled - life really is too short.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Tackle it from the other direction? Competition scrapped, and who nominates next month is drawn from a hat of YDCers on a list who wish to be considered any time they take part? Let the discussion begin...

Forum Saint
    North Warwickshire, Warwickshire, United Kingdom
    View Tiskets's Feedback (+1051)
    All-About Tiskets
    View Tiskets's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    Tackle it from the other direction? Competition scrapped, and who nominates next month is drawn from a hat of YDCers on a list who wish to be considered any time they take part? Let the discussion begin...
    Hey! Brilliant Idea. Must be nice to be clever! LOL

..gosh, another hat for Vonz!! sorry, just giggling lol - actually a very good idea....
    --Linda--
    all feedback from eBid

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

I don't understand a word of that, sorry. Can you explain what you're talking about. What percentage? What has putting a code on the end to denote "I don't want to nominate next month, thanks" got to do with percentages?

I plead the 5th

Nope, sorry, I'm a rule follower by nature and find "mess it up for the sake of it" impossible to understand - vandals mystify me.

Calling someone a vandal because they differ in opinion is what is "messed up"

I suppose - but I still don't really know what you're talking about. I don't really know if the "problem" Vonz has identified is a major problem at all, but she's the one doing all the work so she certainly has a right to that opinion... but I really don't see what the problem is with her wanting to address the situation, and coding exclusions instead of making her work it out individually seems simple enough - I'm amazed it's created bad feeling and argument. Again. Seems like if anybody suggests anything to do with the YDC somebody reacts as if their sacred cow is being slaughtered.
    I am feeling just fine,. Holding a differing opinion is not arguing. If you are having "bad feelings" I am truely sorry about that.

Thread Information