154. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I would like an optional choice of MAKE AN OFFER

117 75.97%
  • No I would not like an optional choice of MAKE AN OFFER

20 12.99%
  • I don't care either way.

17 11.04%
Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you like a MAKE AN OFFER option?

Default Re: Would you like a MAKE AN OFFER option?

Well littleme1969 it isn't the first time a best-offer option post or a poll for one has been run. It has been asked for and debated in the forum more then a few times by different members over the years. The majority are usually in favor of it. Frankly I really don't see why eBid would want to limit it's membership by not having it. Most of the other auction sites have had it for years if not from the very beginning.

The only con really is that people may try to low-ball your prices. Say you have something for $100, and even at that it is cheap, but you might get a smart-Alec that offer's $1. You can always decline or counter of course. No one would be forced to accept an offer that is insane. If there is an auto decline feature that would be a good thing for people that are just messing around, and wasting your time. Pretty much mimicking feeBay's should make sellers looking for a new site come over here when they jump ship.

In July they going to be taxing the the shipping at about 6%, so maybe eBid should pick up the pace. If you build it...

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theweaverboy View Post
    Well littleme1969 it isn't the first time a best-offer option post or a poll for one has been run. It has been asked for and debated in the forum more then a few times by different members over the years. The majority are usually in favor of it. Frankly I really don't see why eBid would want to limit it's membership by not having it. Most of the other auction sites have had it for years if not from the very beginning.

The only con really is that people may try to low-ball your prices. Say you have something for $100, and even at that it is cheap, but you might get a smart-Alec that offer's $1. You can always decline or counter of course. No one would be forced to accept an offer that is insane. If there is an auto decline feature that would be a good thing for people that are just messing around, and wasting your time. Pretty much mimicking feeBay's should make sellers looking for a new site come over here when they jump ship.

In July they going to be taxing the the shipping at about 6%, so maybe eBid should pick up the pace. If you build it...

As long as eBid has been around and it's the same threads over and over? Think about it for a bit.........nah, aint gonna happen.

Things are a little different now than they have been in the previous few years, the site has alot more to offer so more people are coming over . Ive been here 5 years and have seen all the requests and trends come and go but i bet you it is added to the site in the next 12months. Only Idiots wouldn't under the current climate and from what I know Of Mark and Gazza they aint no Idiots..lol They will just be working on other stuff that have already been planned for some time and it will be making its way up the to do list. But the more people that want it that reply to the poll the more likely we are to get it! Ive seen so many changes and improvements on here over the 5 years believe me its mind boggling that they have been able to keep up considering the small team they have behind the scenes. Good things come to thoughs who wait..lol The fact that they themselves asked for this poll speak volumes so its important that as many people vote as possible which is why it should be added to the newsletter . Maybe someone should give Kimbo a poke!..lol

I guess us peeps are going to have to keep bringing it up.

I know they have said that they weren't going to have, but they never really gave a rational argument against it. Just that they didn't want it for some reason. Something about it not being the direction they want to go in.

Auctions are great and sometimes you get more then you expect when a couple of people get into a bidding war, but with the economy the way it is people want a little control over what the final price is. And don't say do a reserve. There was a poll. People find them to be annoying tease, and a waste of time.

Forum Lurker
    Swansea, The Vale of Glamorgan, United Kingdom
    View Sciworks's Feedback (+124)
    All-About Sciworks
    View Sciworks's Listings
    Forum Posts

Auctions are great and sometimes you get more then you expect when a couple of people get into a bidding war......

Eerrrrr - I haven't noticed any bidding wars on here - LOL

Nor have I. Another good reason for a Offer "OPTION".

Forum Lurker
    Swansea, The Vale of Glamorgan, United Kingdom
    View Sciworks's Feedback (+124)
    All-About Sciworks
    View Sciworks's Listings
    Forum Posts

Nor have I. Another good reason for a Offer "OPTION".
    Agreed, this is what I have said all along about eBid. It claims to be an auction site but there is no bidding action, so....... the only other way of bidding, for those that want more than cheap Poundland items, is to make an offer.

Quote Originally Posted by terry5732 View Post
    I don't see anything positive in training buyers to try and talk you down on your price

Start with a realistic price
    We have quite a few unique items listed. We have no idea what they are worth. The best we can do is find something roughly comparable to use as a guideline, but our asking price is a guess.

The fact that they haven't sold doesn't necessarily mean they are overpriced, just that interested buyers haven't noticed them yet. We've sold several items that were listed for over two years . . . and the buyers left great feedback thanking us for offering them. So they obviously were not overpriced. That's the way it is selling collectibles.

For these items, "Make an Offer' would be a good option. We can always decide to not accept the offer. It worked for us on the Bay, and the offers were not usually ridiculous, generally 10 to 20 percent lower than our Buy It Now price. I don't think we were "training the buyers', we were negotiating.

Frankly limiting selling options is just going to limit the number of sellers that come over here, and stay.

Those who are for it are ahead in the polls by over 70% of 88 votes. Even with the tag team of against and apathy it is still winning.

Oh for Pete's sake why not just sent a mass email to the lifetime sellers and see if they would like the OPTION. We'd get an honest count of what the membership would like.

Thread Information