Thread: What is this?

Forum Master
    Penarth, The Vale of Glamorgan, United Kingdom
    View Salomina27's Feedback (+273)
    All-About Salomina27
    View Salomina27's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default What is this?

Hi, I think this is a mustard pot, but not sure.
    Does anyone know anything about this or where its from etc. I thought it was Oriental originally but now sure now, European perhaps?
    There is some small red lettering on the base, it looks like the date 1959 with number 3 above it and some other lettering or number beneath that. If you turn it round it could be 6561 with letters To above and Greek looking sygma in capitals (the 3 reversed) but looks like this has been painted with a very fine brush. I think the pot is hand painted too
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Forum Master
    Penarth, The Vale of Glamorgan, United Kingdom
    View Salomina27's Feedback (+273)
    All-About Salomina27
    View Salomina27's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: What is this?

Sorry about the double image, couldnt get rid of the big one, not too au fait with all this link stuff.

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Huh, not sure what it is, though it is attractive.

A mustard pot sounds good. Have you tried researching the lettering/numbering on an antiques/antiquarian collectibles site?

Best wishes for many sales to all,

View sucadot's Feedback (+845)
    All-About sucadot
    View sucadot's Listings
    Forum Posts

Sorry I can't help but it looks good whatever it is

Have you tried googling or google translate ?
    [SIGPIC]
    view my listings here

I'm far from being a ceramics expert - cornishmaid is very knowledgable in this field ..... but, I'd say that yes, it could be a mustard pot, or perhaps a jam / marmalade pot - depending on its size. From my own experience, mustard pots tend to be smallish, with no more than a 2 inch diameter, whereas jam / marmalade pots are roughly about the same size as a standard coffee mug.

It is very pretty, and does look oriental - but the europeans did copy the oriental designs so no idea on that one.
    Babz

Sewing Room Creations - for hand crafted gift ideas & doll accessories.

Barnsley, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View DaisyChain's Feedback (+76)
    All-About DaisyChain
    View DaisyChain's Listings
    Forum Posts

To myself, i looks like it may be Masons Ironstone. Ive seen a few Mason Jugs and vases,with very vivid Blues and orange \ gold colouring as in your picture. Maybe have a look in that direction on the net, and at crown derby as well.
    i think it is more European than oriental but im certainly no expert.......................nice piece as well

Quote Originally Posted by Salomina27 View Post
    Hi, I think this is a mustard pot, but not sure.
    Does anyone know anything about this or where its from etc. I thought it was Oriental originally but now sure now, European perhaps?
    There is some small red lettering on the base, it looks like the date 1959 with number 3 above it and some other lettering or number beneath that. If you turn it round it could be 6561 with letters To above and Greek looking sygma in capitals (the 3 reversed) but looks like this has been painted with a very fine brush. I think the pot is hand painted too
    Manstomar is right it is European. This type of imari pattern using flow blue and gilt was very popular from the end of the 1800's right up to the 1920's. Lots of English firms produced it copying the style of Gaudy Welsh pottery. Allertons produced lots of pieces but I would hazard a guess that yours might be Woods ware or Arthur Woods, although I can't say for sure, but they tended to use the squiggles over their designs.

The markings on the base would be the pattern number and artist's mark. I would say it was either a mustard or ink pot.

Here's a photo of a jug that I have on my dresser at home.

Name:  003.JPG
Views: 590
Size:  145.2 KB

It might be worth while doing some research on Gaudy Welsh patterns just in case as that pottery is worth quite a bit more than the English style ones.
    Last edited by cornishmaid1961; 16th May 2011 at 02:24 AM.

Looks about the right size for a honey pot. I remember a lady back in Minnesota had one, the notch was to hold a utensil that had a handle like a spoon with a spiral at the business end. She lifted it out and drizzled the honey on the bread. Of course hers was a different pattern, plain white ceramic if my memory is right.

Forum Saint
    Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom
    View meebo1's Feedback (+7886)
    All-About meebo1
    View meebo1's Listings
    Forum Posts

cornishmaid, doesn't your jug need company?

Quote Originally Posted by meebo1 View Post
    cornishmaid, doesn't your jug need company?
    Lol - It already has company - lots of it !!! I love the proper old Gaudy Welsh pottery and have collected quite a few things over the years, I've run out of room !

Thread Information