eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Listing Prices explained !

Post Listing Prices explained !

Hi Everyone !

Recently I was chastised for inflating my listing price for an item.

I do not inflate the price that I expect my listed items to sell for. I do a great deal of research on the Internet and reference books trying to arrive at a reasonable price that the buying public will notice. I will not give items away by starting an auction @ 99 cents or a dollar. If I determine that an item is valued at $ 50 during my research, then I will usually start my auction @ $ 30. I normally list @ 60% of researched value - sometimes @ 50%.

As my listings state, I am not an expert in the field of Glassware, etc. What I am is a person who is very diligent in his research. If a listing of mine is in error price-wise, please send me a note stating the reason for your appraisal. I will re-evaluate the situation and respond according to any new information on the subject.

I do not want anyone to feel that I am inflating prices - only what I feel is an honest attempt to get a fair price on my merchandise.

Thanks for listening to my rant-of-the-day !

marty

Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View cheaver's Feedback (+1050)
    All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Listing Prices explained !

You are welcome to me listening to your "rant-of-the-day"! Whoever had the temerity to "chastise" you deserved your rant and I hope you gave it to them.
    Oh, and BTW, welcome to eBid and the Forum, I don't think we have met until now.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Saint
    View RonOne's Feedback (+4296)
    All-About RonOne
    View RonOne's Listings
    Forum Posts

Welcome to ebid.

You sell your items at whatever price you want to.
    If the buyers think its to high, they can look elseware.

On the other hand, if you don't sell anything because its to high,
    your allways welcome on the forums for a good rabbit.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SellingOldThings View Post
    Hi Everyone !

Recently I was chastised for inflating my listing price for an item.

I do not inflate the price that I expect my listed items to sell for. I do a great deal of research on the Internet and reference books trying to arrive at a reasonable price that the buying public will notice. I will not give items away by starting an auction @ 99 cents or a dollar. If I determine that an item is valued at $ 50 during my research, then I will usually start my auction @ $ 30. I normally list @ 60% of researched value - sometimes @ 50%.

As my listings state, I am not an expert in the field of Glassware, etc. What I am is a person who is very diligent in his research. If a listing of mine is in error price-wise, please send me a note stating the reason for your appraisal. I will re-evaluate the situation and respond according to any new information on the subject.

I do not want anyone to feel that I am inflating prices - only what I feel is an honest attempt to get a fair price on my merchandise.

Thanks for listening to my rant-of-the-day !

marty
    Nobody here has the right to chastise you for your prices, though I suppose anyone's welcome to comment with a personal opinion... but I'd consider it pretty poor manners unless you invited it! If you say "why am I not selling", and somebody says "because your items are too expensive" that's all very well, but "chastise" suggests it was ruder than that!

Either way, I wouldn't worry if I were you. If you get it right, you'll sell and if you don't it's nobody else's business - so please yourself!

Cambuslang, South Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    View KAYS6912's Feedback (+245)
    All-About KAYS6912
    View KAYS6912's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RonOne View Post
    Welcome to ebid.

You sell your items at whatever price you want to.
    If the buyers think its to high, they can look elseware.

On the other hand, if you don't sell anything because its to high,
    your allways welcome on the forums for a good rabbit.
    Hiya Marty -and welcome to eBid.

I agree with Ron - let them go elsewhere if they aren't happy! Like you, I spend a helluva lot of time researching prices etc to try to determine what I should sell at. And I point blank refuse to list a start price of 99p for ANY of my items. While I can't sell my items at the price some other sellers do, I'm NOT giving in and selling them for a fraction of their worth. I'd rather GIVE my stuff away - and that ain't gonna happen! Anyway - best of luck. Oh! And if you think your post was a rant - check out the Forums on a daily basis!
    Last edited by KAYS6912; 2nd May 2011 at 12:48 AM.
    Nancy
    Ceud měle f?*ilte!
    ‘A hundred thousand welcomes!’

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/BARGAIN-BROWSER

GENERAL STORE

An item is worth what someone will pay for it,if you list low you may only get one bid and lose money on the sale.

Its not yet a crime to make a profit.

View terry5732's Feedback (+1374)
    All-About terry5732
    View terry5732's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BAGHAG999 View Post

The US President disagrees with you
    My clutter

I don't play the reserve game

Forum Diehard
    View islandbuckman's Feedback (+192)
    All-About islandbuckman
    View islandbuckman's Listings
    Forum Posts

Exclamation Re: Listing Prices explained !

Quote Originally Posted by BAGHAG999 View Post
    An item is worth what someone will pay for it,if you list low you may only get one bid and lose money on the sale.

Well I kind of wonder if some profits for some companies should be classified as a crime. Exxon reported a profit of approximately $11,000,000,000 in the first 3 months of this year. That is 11BILLION with a B! That works out to
    $119,565,217 per day or
    $4,981,884 per hour or
    $83,031 per minute and that is for every minute of every day!

Almost $5 million an hour. Minimum wage here is $7.50 an hour.
    That to me is almost criminal.

Forum Diehard
    View SherMari's Feedback (+2067)
    All-About SherMari
    View SherMari's Listings
    Forum Posts

I charge what I feel is a reasonable price for my items buy it or not that is up to you. I do remember the post but not who questioned the value of your item. Wasn't it the antique crock pot lid?

As another seller of collectibles, I sympathize with you. Quite a few of the items we are listing are one-of-a-kind, and setting a fair price is sometimes quite difficult. There's absolutely no reason to ask a ridiculously low price, especially considering the amount of work involved. Anyone who thinks selling collectibles online is easy has never gone through all the steps: doing the research, first to get an idea of the age, then the value, getting a decent picture, writing a good description, listing it, relisting it, keeping track of everything . . .

We've had some items listed that sat on FeeBay for over two years, then another two years here, and finally sold for our original asking price. With the recession still in full bloom here, I doubt if values have gone up. What's required is to wait for someone who wants that specific item to find it.

No one ever has the right to criticize any seller for their asking price. Whoever did that had the option of making an offer via the Q&A process. If someone doesn't want to bother doing that, and he/she thinks the price is too high, there's an easy solution. Zip it and move on. Anything else is just plain rude.

Thread Information