eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Language Barrier problem for Ex-Pats living abroad

Forum Newbie
    View twoyorkie's Feedback (+419)
    All-About twoyorkie
    View twoyorkie's Listings
    Forum Posts

Cool Language Barrier problem for Ex-Pats living abroad

I am an ex-pat living in Spain now with the original registration in UK for Ebid......now that's not a problem ...but if I want to calculate the postage to my now,home address I have to go to my host country's site .OK if your language is brilliant in Spanish but mine isn't just yet... so why the hell dont I get the option of viewing my host country's site Spain in my native language English ??? Please Ebid ....sort it out

Default Re: Language Barrier problem for Ex-Pats living abroad

I have the same problem! I live in the Netherlands but my home country is the US. I finally gave up and just registered in the US and use a flat rate shipping and hope that everyone reads the description that items are shipped from the Netherlands. Most of my customers are in the UK , France, Canada and the US. I don't think I have ever sold to anyone in the Netherlands!

View iwiw60's Feedback (+761)
    All-About iwiw60
    View iwiw60's Listings
    Forum Posts

When the Spanish eBid site is loaded up, try using BableFish as a 'page translator'...might help a bit until you can get this problem sorted. In the meantime have either of you written support@ebid.net with your problem? Try that, too, and best of luck!

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31360)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by twoyorkie View Post
    I am an ex-pat living in Spain now with the original registration in UK for Ebid......now that's not a problem ...but if I want to calculate the postage to my now,home address I have to go to my host country's site .OK if your language is brilliant in Spanish but mine isn't just yet... so why the hell dont I get the option of viewing my host country's site Spain in my native language English ??? Please Ebid ....sort it out
    It is not so difficult to work in Spanish, in my humble opinion, because there are relatively few words to learn, and easy to guess because they are in context. It is worth trying a few times until it becomes intuitive, You might be pleased with your speed of learning Spanish"
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

I think you'd find the same on e*** where the French site is certainly in French and if there is the potential to view it in English I have not seen it - the local sites are designed for the local native speakers not us "ex-pats"!

Quote Originally Posted by lejoueurdepipeau View Post
    I think you'd find the same on e*** where the French site is certainly in French and if there is the potential to view it in English I have not seen it - the local sites are designed for the local native speakers not us "ex-pats"!
    i think you are right! I have three monitors on my computer so I keep a translator open on one. However, I don't use Bablefish because it seems to make a lot of mistakes. I use Babylon. It will give you various options for instance, the word "chase" If you put it into Babylon and ask it to translate to French it will give you :
    n. poursuite; terrain de chasse; cannelure; canon de fusil
    v. pourchasser; expulser

Therefor you can make sure you chose the correct translation for the word according to the context in which you are using it.

Forum Diehard
    View SherMari's Feedback (+2067)
    All-About SherMari
    View SherMari's Listings
    Forum Posts

I use Google Translate, it has proven to be the most accurate so far.

Quote Originally Posted by PamelasDesigns View Post
    i think you are right! I have three monitors on my computer so I keep a translator open on one. However, I don't use Bablefish because it seems to make a lot of mistakes. I use Babylon. It will give you various options for instance, the word "chase" If you put it into Babylon and ask it to translate to French it will give you :
    n. poursuite; terrain de chasse; cannelure; canon de fusil
    v. pourchasser; expulser

Therefor you can make sure you chose the correct translation for the word according to the context in which you are using it.

Google translate also gives you other options but you have to click on the word in the translation they have offered that doesn't look quite right and then you are shown alternatives! Babelfish will just happily let you use the wrong meaning of the word!

Forum Diehard
    View SherMari's Feedback (+2067)
    All-About SherMari
    View SherMari's Listings
    Forum Posts

Not only does babelfish let you use the wrong word it will do it for you! I had some good laughs at what as come out of babelfish compared to google translate.

I had forgotten about Google Translate! I have used it when away from home as it automatically translates any emails I get in another language to English. It seem to do quite well at it also.

Thread Information