eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabinet Photo?

Default Cabinet Photo?

Hi,

Could someone please explain the difference between a cabinet photo and a photo postcard?

Would a cabinet photo resemble a postcard to the reverse?

Thank you

Default Re: Cabinet Photo?

Hi Astral,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I visited that excellent site prior to posting. What I am not clear about, is whether they would be classed as cabinet photos if they have a postcard reverse. Presumably not.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

I claim total ignorance on such issues.

However, I would not be at all surprised if some entrepreneurial photographer offered them mounted on postcards for people to send by mail. I think postcards used to be cheaper to send than letters - hence their past popularity.

Yes, my thoughts exactly.
    Perhaps one of our postcard sellers will be able to enlighten.

Thanks, anyway.

Forum Newbie
    View kimbosw59's Feedback (+1)
    All-About kimbosw59
    View kimbosw59's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi Im no expert but cabinet cards (1870s onwards declining early 20th century ) were the early photos taken at a studio by a proffesional photographer they were albumin photos mounted on card.The sittings could take forever and often the person was held still by a frame on their neck !! they measure 4 1/2" x 6" and took over from the earlier card de visite a smaller 2 1/2" x 4" photo ( 1850s +)again mounted on card and used as a calling card. Postcards though first appeared in 1860s were only paper sheet for communication and pics were not allowed til 1872 when advertisising was allowed, the early views were either line drawings or transfers from other photos it wasnt till early 19th century that photographs were used direct onto postacrds by this time the cabinet card was declining in popularity. so a portatrait postcard isnt a cabinet card which are very distinctive by there mount on cardboard and there advertising of studio where taken and never posted, they were for personal display or the C.D.V. s carte de visit used as calling cards. as said im no expert but have fairly recently developed a interest in history of photography due to cab /cdvs which i find facinating. this early photography was for wealthy but you do also get post mortem cards sounds morbid i know but for many families this one photo would be all they had to remember there loved ones ..hope a little helpful i love this learning kimbo

the only thing I can add to kimbosw59 excellent post is that have become very collectable in recent years. Post Mortem C.D.V's are VERY collectable

BTW C.D.V's are always printed on very thick card where as postcards are printed on thin card. also C.D.V's tend to have the studio advertised on the back of the card and have an impressed mark on the front with the studio name (and more often than not the street where the studio was) in one corner of the card

Thank you VERY much,both of you

Kimbosw (must always remember the sw to avoid confusion) - your post was, indeed, excellent as Somers has said. I found a very informative page (link as above from Astral) but yours summed it up brilliantly.

Somers - one of mine does have an embossed name but, all things considered, mine are bog-standard portrait postcards

Oh well, I have learned something new

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

I use this site for dating photos when doing my family tree: http://www.cartes.freeuk.com/time/date.htm

Thread Information