eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Some explanation is needed...

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Some explanation is needed...

Quote Originally Posted by emporiumdays View Post
    I was just thinking of you Adruml, and suddenly you posted !!! Amazing....
    I was always posting things about what I think should be done to build and get more buyers through advertising etc. Kimbo was right when she stated something along the lines of "there are far more things which need to be fixed on this site before thinking about how to build" not exact quote but something along those lines. Reading through the forums it appears we may have a hard time keeping the buyers we have let alone trying to get more. Indeed glitches and things which may cause disgruntled buyers are far more important then ideas about building at this point.
    After a few sales myself as well as a couple buys I can now realize some of the issues which may put visitors, new buyers and sellers off. The forums have pointed just about everything out so no need for me to ramble on.

Obviously people should register to sell and bid in auctions on eBid or any other website but instant, fixed price sales are entirely different.

If you only consider a fixed price item as being "sold" once payment is made then there's no fear of auction wreckers or malicious button pushers.

Quote Originally Posted by HelenAndGraham View Post
    Obviously people should register to sell and bid in auctions on eBid or any other website but instant, fixed price sales are entirely different.

If you only consider a fixed price item as being "sold" once payment is made then there's no fear of auction wreckers or malicious button pushers.
    Wouldn't that require a complete reworking of how the site functions?

Even so I wouldn't be happy unless the IP check at least was still in place, as some sort of safeguard against previously banned members.
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicina View Post

Even so I wouldn't be happy unless the IP check at least was still in place, as some sort of safeguard against previously banned members.
    Doesn't that depend on what they were banned for? There are many members with strike throughs who were probably just one time buyers who now can't get back on the site.

With a 'guest buyer' only able to buy and pay instantly before the item shows as sold, there should be no problem. It would simply mean that as a guest buyer you must use a shopping cart and nothing is yours until you complete payment.

You have their Paypal details, why does anyone need the guest buyer's IP address?

Sorry, Gothicina, forgot to respond to the first point you made.

Originally Posted by Gothicina
    Actually, no it wouldn't.

At sign up you could be offered two buyer options ...

1 with full verification and therefore a full member on the site, unlimited buying power.
    2 guest buyer, no verification needed, limited buying power and you must use a shopping cart.

It isn't really much of a change at all, simply an added option which ought to be relatively easy to code.

View madelaine's Feedback (+5872)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

This is heading into deeper waters than I intended. I would just like a friendly, clear email sent to new buyers who end up with a strikethru. If they don't take the action needed to remove it, I'd like a further email similarly friendly and encouraging, to ask why.
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ctavias0fferings View Post
    Doesn't that depend on what they were banned for? There are many members with strike throughs who were probably just one time buyers who now can't get back on the site.

With a 'guest buyer' only able to buy and pay instantly before the item shows as sold, there should be no problem. It would simply mean that as a guest buyer you must use a shopping cart and nothing is yours until you complete payment.

You have their Paypal details, why does anyone need the guest buyer's IP address?
    I'm thinking of one particular ex member, who made life a misery for many of the female members of the site, even to go as far carrying on their antics on other forums, on other sites.

Without the IP address check "shill bidding" as in using somebody (or even buying your own items) to artificially inflate positive feedback or buddy points could still take place
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

Sadly, Madelaine, while it can't be guaranteed that those emails don't go straight to spam, that isn't going to help. The solution is not emails, nor is it badgering people to check their spam, the solution lies deeper than that.

View madelaine's Feedback (+5872)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

I'm thinking of one particular ex member, who made life a misery for many of the female members of the site, even to go as far carrying on their antics on other forums, on other sites.

Without the IP address check "shill bidding" as in using somebody (or even buying your own items) to artificially inflate positive feedback or buddy points could still take place
    This particular **** bought from me on Tazbar just so he could leave me a negative so do not underestimate how much troublemakers will go to in order to make trouble.
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

So don't count guest sales towards feedback or buddy points ... isn't that simple?

Thread Information