eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Some explanation is needed...

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Some explanation is needed...

Quote Originally Posted by jeweleffects View Post
    After reading this thread I am wondering which is worse:

eBid implementing stringent security checks on newbies (sellers and buyers) consequently creating a safe environment for it's members

or

Ebay allowing every hoot n nanny, con and scam artist on their site (to keep the membership amount pumped up) and consequently hurting 100's and 1000's of members.

x
    (d) none of the above.

Forum Diehard
    View emporiumdays's Feedback (+94)
    All-About emporiumdays
    View emporiumdays's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jeweleffects View Post
    After reading this thread I am wondering which is worse:

eBid implementing stringent security checks on newbies (sellers and buyers) consequently creating a safe environment for it's members

or

Ebay allowing every hoot n nanny, con and scam artist on their site (to keep the membership amount pumped up) and consequently hurting 100's and 1000's of members.

x

Jan, - maybe it doesn't have to be either end of the scale. Maybe somewhere in between.
    The 'net' is just a little too fine at the moment, and is trawling out the good little fish along with the sharks.
    If the net was made a little looser then sharks can still be caught without catching the innocent fish.

Going by what boandsusan just said......

Wow! After reading this thread I`m even more nervous about switching over to ebid completely. After selling on that other site for 10 months, I average 33.9% of my monthly sales are returning customers. I would hate any of my customers to see a strike through their name for any reason.

......this just shows the negative impact that this is all having.... (not good - surely)

0ctavia's mentioned "..... it is necessary to use the buyer's own email address to contact them after the auction as all eBid emails seem to end up in the spam filter....."
    This shows that we can't totally rely on the way the 'automated' netting works. Sellers themselves are having to implement their own checks and safeguards to keep everything running as smoothly as possible. Otherwise - there's problems.

Kim's already mentioned on numerous occasions the idea of a 2 level (2 size nets) approach, to help minimize unecessary problems.

There's been some other really good comments made by other members and Gazza and the team must be fully aware of what's been spoken about here.....

I don't have the answers - just observations..... and another thing I don't understand is why, when someone first signs up to eBid, they successfully receive all of eBid's communications (emails), but then at some later point, they suddenly get emails that are now classified 'spam' and get caught? Or am I getting this wrong?

View madelaine's Feedback (+5872)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

I think the key to this problem is better communication rather than changing the security procedures.
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Forum Diehard
    All-About emporiumdays
    Forum Posts

I couldn't agree more madelaine....

Should be a realtively simple thing to change the existing emails that are already sent out.
    If the wording was such that it encouraged the member to kindly assist eBid with sorting out the problem, then people should have no reason to get upset.
    If initially given the benefit of the doubt then mutual respect should prevail.

If the requested assistance from the member fails to be forthcoming, then, there can be firmer actions progressively taken.

The idea is to not to alienate the new members (even in communicating), especially when the true problems or issues are not fully known.

Quote Originally Posted by emporiumdays View Post

If the requested assistance from the member fails to be forthcoming, then, there can be firmer actions progressively taken.

The idea is to not to alienate the new members (even in communicating), especially when the true problems or issues are not fully known.
    The problem I see here is that, with so many places on the internet to source the items you want, any obstacle placed in the way of a buyer will probably send them packing.

Imagine if you wanted to go into High Street store A but there's a pile of crates blocking the door? Store B has a similar item and no barrier to the door and you decide you're not going to tackle those boxes to find a way into store A, you'll just go to store B instead. It's that simple.

If I want to buy something on the net, in most cases all I need to do is verify my address (as on whatever card or other method I use to pay), which takes seconds, and I'm free to purchase whatever I want. This is the equivelant of store B but it seems to me that, while eBid will let you into the store that first time, when you come back again the doors are barred and you aren't going to bother with the hassle to open them again, you'll just go elsewhere.

I have to say, I have worked hard to bring customers to eBid but, frankly, that work is not paying off because of the site policies.

Whoever said that eBid seems more interested in bringing along new sellers (to sign up and pay that one off fee) has hit the nail on the head. For eBid, there is little incentive to bring in more buyers as they are not exactly making much out of them - apart from when they buy items listed with gallery and eBid gets their small percentage.

If, instead of promoting my stores at eBid, I had started my own website with shopping cart etc and promoted that, I would have expected to hang on to at least some of those customers and would have hoped they would go on to personally recommend my site to their freinds.

This is the biggest area where eBid is missing out ... HOW MANY OF THESE ONE TIME BUYERS NOW LOCKED OUT WILL RECOMMEND THE SITE?

I'm sure we can all answer that one

Forum Diehard
    All-About emporiumdays
    Forum Posts

I understand what you're saying Octavia. I really do.

I don't have all the facts - I'm a member just like you - I don't know what the 'powers that be' know - I don't know whether I'll ever know - I'm confused whether it's even my business to know - I would like it to be better - I really don't know what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ctavias0fferings View Post
    The problem I see here is that, with so many places on the internet to source the items you want, any obstacle placed in the way of a buyer will probably send them packing.

Imagine if you wanted to go into High Street store A but there's a pile of crates blocking the door? Store B has a similar item and no barrier to the door and you decide you're not going to tackle those boxes to find a way into store A, you'll just go to store B instead. It's that simple.

If I want to buy something on the net, in most cases all I need to do is verify my address (as on whatever card or other method I use to pay), which takes seconds, and I'm free to purchase whatever I want. This is the equivelant of store B but it seems to me that, while eBid will let you into the store that first time, when you come back again the doors are barred and you aren't going to bother with the hassle to open them again, you'll just go elsewhere.

I have to say, I have worked hard to bring customers to eBid but, frankly, that work is not paying off because of the site policies.

Whoever said that eBid seems more interested in bringing along new sellers (to sign up and pay that one off fee) has hit the nail on the head. For eBid, there is little incentive to bring in more buyers as they are not exactly making much out of them - apart from when they buy items listed with gallery and eBid gets their small percentage.

If, instead of promoting my stores at eBid, I had started my own website with shopping cart etc and promoted that, I would have expected to hang on to at least some of those customers and would have hoped they would go on to personally recommend my site to their freinds.

This is the biggest area where eBid is missing out ... HOW MANY OF THESE ONE TIME BUYERS NOW LOCKED OUT WILL RECOMMEND THE SITE?

I'm sure we can all answer that one
    A customer of mine who I *enticed* from feepay saw some of my wedding stuff for sale - she enrolled
    Mon 28 Mar 2011 06:59:26 and purchased the shoes and bag a little over 3 minutes later
    Mon 28 Mar 2011 07:03, and paid immediately.
    (No buddy point - but that's another subject.)

She had indicated previously that she was interested in my top, skirt and jacket that matched the shoes/bag - the hat had previously been sold - but - all too soon, this lady had a strike through her name.

Luckily I was able to send the shoes and bag out as she paid via Paypal, and I had her postal address.
    Not heard a word from her since, still has strikethrough - sad. Could have sold the matching outfit.
    I'm not sure why she doesn't complete the verification process, as she had a great feedback score on feepay.
    Maybe she and others in this situation cannot be bothered or are uneasy with the process - I don't know.
    Some folk just want to simply buy what they want, pay for it, without all the rigmarole that goes with it.

Yes - as the title thread reads "Some explanation is needed..." indeed.
    I am fed up with trying to recruit new members, only to have them scared off
    Visit my clothes store -here
    Look in my treasure in trove ! here
    For
    soy wax candles, tarts & melts click here
    For trading cards click here
    Visit my Tazo barhere

Here's an example of how it can work ... I won't link to the actual page, that might not be appreciated.

Guest buying requirements
    Item must be purchased using Buy It Now
    Payments must be made by credit card processed by PayPal. PayPal enables you to send payments quickly and securely online. Your credit card information will not be shared with the seller.
    Item price must be £500 or less.
    Items must be purchased from sellers who have a feedback score of 50 or higher and have a 98% positive rating.
    You can only purchase two items as a guest before you will be required to register
    In all honesty, I think that 2 purchases is a bit low to limit 'guest buyers' to, I think it would be more realistic to set the bar at, say, purchasing power up to £200 without a need to register and / or an ability to buy any number of items under the value of £15 (incl postage?).

The latter suggestion is because no-one is going to try and scam a seller for that kind of money. It would be altogether too much hassle.

It would be good to get this right as the current system is preventing buyers from coming back.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madelaine View Post
    I think the key to this problem is better communication rather than changing the security procedures.
    To paraphrase myself...

(d) All of the above.

Thread Information