eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Some explanation is needed...

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Some explanation is needed...

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicina View Post
    I think the IP address, postal address & phone number of everyone who joins is checked.
    To stop people putting in fictitious details, & go on an auction wrecking spree.
    But that must happen *at* joining, surely? I can't see any reason why somebody would be able to buy *then* be checked that way - if they need checking, don't let them buy. Doing it in the wrong order would cause more problems than it solved, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    But that must happen *at* joining, surely? I can't see any reason why somebody would be able to buy *then* be checked that way - if they need checking, don't let them buy. Doing it in the wrong order would cause more problems than it solved, IMO.
    I've got a feeling that getting the joining email with link, is more or less instantaneous,
    & that validity checks are done after that.
    I know when we had some ex-members join again & troll the forums, it took a couple of hours for the strikethru to appear.

Probably a legacy of running the site with such a very small number of staff.
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 0ctavias0fferings View Post
    No no, we want them to buy LOL
    We want them to *pay* as well. So do the checking instantly, *then* let them buy. Letting them get half-way through then slamming the door in their faces is just stupid.

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicina View Post
    I've got a feeling that getting the joining email with link, is more or less instantaneous,
    & that validity checks are done after that.
    I know when we had some ex-members join again & troll the forums, it took a couple of hours for the strikethru to appear.

Probably a legacy of running the site with such a very small number of staff.
    I see.

At least, I don't, but you know what I mean. Poor strategy, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    We want them to *pay* as well. So do the checking instantly, *then* let them buy. Letting them get half-way through then slamming the door in their faces is just stupid.
    In most cases where I have promoted an item and a buyer has joined up to eBid to purchase it, they buy and pay instantly, so the transaction is completed long before the "verification" has taken place.

I have discovered that it is necessary to use the buyer's own email address to contact them after the auction as all eBid emails seem to end up in the spam filter. This even happens with my own email client, in spite of my moving them to my inbox every time they still get swallowed by the spam filter.

Perhaps someone needs to find out why email clients are consistently recognising eBid emails as spam.

But that doesn't detract from the fact that every time I have made one of those instant sales the transaction has proceeded smoothly and I have never (she said, touching wood) had any problem with them.

But, I never see any feedback coming through on the site from those sales.

I do know, through email comms, when the item arrives safely and that the buyer is happy with what they've received but that is ONLY through the personal emails I have with the buyer.

Of course, they never come back to eBid ... wonder why?

View madelaine's Feedback (+5872)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gazza View Post
    Anyone put on temporary hold or guilty of innocent mistakes is emailed with a reason and details of any offending auction. Details on how to reopen their account are also given. This has been the case for a number of years.

Gazza
    OK, that is the answer for a seller.. what about a buyer?

And Octavia puts the case for the newbie buyer perfectly. I have a string of them.. buy, pay... sometimes even email to say they are happy.. but never, ever return once they have the strikethru. I wanted them to come back and buy again!
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Forum Lurker
    View boandsusan's Feedback (+1187)
    All-About boandsusan
    View boandsusan's Listings
    Forum Posts

Wow! After reading this thread I`m even more nervous about switching over to ebid completely. After selling on that other site for 10 months, I average 33.9% of my monthly sales are returning customers. I would hate any of my customers to see a strike through their name for any reason.

Quote Originally Posted by madelaine View Post
    OK, that is the answer for a seller.. what about a buyer?

And Octavia puts the case for the newbie buyer perfectly. I have a string of them.. buy, pay... sometimes even email to say they are happy.. but never, ever return once they have the strikethru. I wanted them to come back and buy again!
    I'm so glad it isn't just me

@boandsusan - I wouldn't want to put anyone off but I would say ... eggs and baskets ...

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

After reading this thread I am wondering which is worse:

eBid implementing stringent security checks on newbies (sellers and buyers) consequently creating a safe environment for it's members

or

Ebay allowing every hoot n nanny, con and scam artist on their site (to keep the membership amount pumped up) and consequently hurting 100's and 1000's of members.

x

Thread Information