My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 35 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2526272829303132333435363738394041424344 LastLast

Thread: Some explanation is needed...

Default Re: Some explanation is needed...

Quote Originally Posted by adruml View Post
    True, ultimatums should be dealt with in one manner...just go.

Some posts have been ultimatums some have been truisms. Either way any newer site auction or otherwise needs input from members. You will always have sarcastic comments, pleasant folk, angry mobs etc on every forum out there. This is just a way of life. If everyone had the same thought process, oh what a terrible world this would be.
    This ebay you refer to had started just as eBid is doing. Listening to the users on a daily basis and making changes as they go while weighing the pro's and cons of every suggestion put to them. After years and years of listening I'm pretty sure they have heard just about every suggestion out there. So why would they comment on something they may have already heard time and time again? I wouldn't!
    eBid is still a very young site and I feel the administrators do in fact listen to suggestions here in the forums. I am a bit surprised we haven't seen a post from them on this thread but I'm sure it will come when it's time.
    The last thing any of us want to do is to encourage sellers or buyers to leave and I'm sure most members are grown up enough to make that decision on their own. Keep in mind a lot of folks truly believe that just the one person (themselves) can make or break an auction site. The strength is in numbers, the numbers are in sales. If there are no sales there are no numbers. Personally I need numbers to survive, currently numbers aren't happening on eBid at the moment.
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with this auction site but folks are coming here daily in hopes of finding a new home and somewhat similar sales to where they came from. It's not a shock after a few weeks or months they become a little disheartened with few or no sales as that is not what they are used to.
    I have stated it many times before, I will not give up on eBid, it is a tremendous site and eventually will be the premier auction site! My only problem is I can't wait around for the sales. I need the income coming in weekly not weakly. Higher fees = higher prices and so far since September of 2010 my customers have decided to pay the higher prices. As ridiculous as that sounds that is what it has been. I would be thrilled with 1/3 the sales here as compared to what I sell elsewhere but it's not happening yet.
    Our goal as members (and I will remain an active eBid member) is to obtain and keep as many buyers and sellers as humanly possible at the same time maintain a safe and friendly buying and selling environment.
    I do hope we all keep the entire eBid community in mind whenever we post suggestions or make decisions here.
    I really really like this new guy that has shown up. Lots of common sense and cool talk. Thanks.

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 0ctavias0fferings View Post
    @ adruml you are aware that eBid has been around about as long as eBay, aren't you?
    No I was unaware of that fact but I do hope your just kidding.

View TonyBridger's Feedback (+252)
    All-About TonyBridger
    View TonyBridger's Listings
    Forum Posts

No I was unaware of that fact but I do hope your just kidding.
    No OO is correct

eBid is an online auction website founded in December 1998
    My posts only state my own opinions, unless I've stolen them from someone else

Although I agree it is nice to be able to have a visitor come to our stores and just go ahead and buy something and pay for it but with the amount of scams taking place nowadays I would rather they take just a little more time to become verified according to site standards before the buy.

I have experienced quite a few scams and really don't need to take time sorting out new ones. If your a verified member you should remain a verified member until you break the rules.

If a firstime buyer decides they do not want to become verified I would have to say chances are something is wrong or they have no intention of becoming a permanent member anyway and to gamble for one sale, I'll pass. I'll stick with long term commitments myself.
    As you've had the experience of being scammed can you please explain to me how a buyer can scam you if they hit a Paypal buy now button and pay you before you send an item? Thanks.

Personally I trust Paypal a hundred times more than the numerous websites I see offering great deals thesedays. I certainly wont pass any private info to a website owned by someone I am not 110% sure of. Security awareness and ID verification is a two way process to smart buyers.

So thesedays, when I find an alternative auction site or store that insists I register and verify a card or Paypal account etc. I'd rather pay a couple of quid more buying on eBay thanks unless I am absolutely certain who I am dealing with. Do people think I'm unusual?

Quote Originally Posted by HelenAndGraham View Post
    So thesedays, when I find an alternative auction site or store that insists I register and verify a card or Paypal account etc. I'd rather pay a couple of quid more buying on eBay thanks unless I am absolutely certain who I am dealing with. Do people think I'm unusual?
    Totally agree with you. There is someone I regularly buy from who has their own site but I would still rather buy through eBay and pay with Paypal.

**Thanks for giving the date Tony, I couldn't remember it.

Forum Saint
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HelenAndGraham View Post
    As you've had the experience of being scammed can you please explain to me how a buyer can scam you if they hit a Paypal buy now button and pay you before you send an item? Thanks.

Personally I trust Paypal a hundred times more than the numerous websites I see offering great deals thesedays. I certainly wont pass any private info to a website owned by someone I am not 110% sure of. Security awareness and ID verification is a two way process to smart buyers.

Real simple with Pay Pal just state item not received or item not as described. Although with proper documentation any monies put on hold get reinstated but the scammers still try and we have to take our time to prove we have done everything correctly and by the book.
    My only point is once you have been allowed to become a member then you should remain a member unless you have done something wrong. Whether the posts to this thread are wrong or not if we have members being allowed to join, make a purchase then get struck through for further verification is the part I have a problem with. That's all.

Forum Saint
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBridger View Post
    No OO is correct

eBid is an online auction website founded in December 1998
    Thanks for that information. Wow quite a difference in membership quantities. Why is that?

Thanks for that information. Wow quite a difference in membership quantities. Why is that?
    Surely you don't really need an answer to that? You've read this thread.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Because ebay was first to market and had a three year head-start, leaving *every* other site catching up. And because the guys chose not to go the venture capital route, and have just maintained steady, manageable growth that's kept them control and ownership. This latter point is also why this thread is able to exist, and has some point: eBid owners are also the day-to-day managers and listen to their customers. People might be complaining about the level of interaction with the owners on this particular thread, but can you imagine ebay share-holders popping into a thread demanding changes to the site?

Real simple with Pay Pal just state item not received or item not as described.
    Forgetting that the buyer may have a legitimate complaint, how does registering and verifying someone or even collecting a DNA sample stop this from happening?

Although with proper documentation any monies put on hold get reinstated but the scammers still try and we have to take our time to prove we have done everything correctly and by the book.
    You're lucky it wasn't a Visa credit card chargeback!

My only point is once you have been allowed to become a member then you should remain a member unless you have done something wrong. Whether the posts to this thread are wrong or not if we have members being allowed to join, make a purchase then get struck through for further verification is the part I have a problem with. That's all.
    So after all it seems there isn't a scam you've experienced that registration and verification of buyers could have stopped. I'm still all ears if anyone else has experienced a buyer scam from a Paypal payer that registration or verification could have stopped.

Solving the strike through after purchase should be a no brainer to everyone now. This is why I'm keen to help people recognise there's a massive difference between how you should treat sellers and buyers on a third party marketplace website like eBid as this is crucial if people want viable sales numbers in future.

The overwhelming majority of scams on P2P sites relate to sellers taking payments and not sending goods. This is why I completely agree with having very stringent checks on sellers and I applaud eBid for doing what they do even if it upsets a few people now and again. Sellers should expect to jump through a few hoops in order to earn the trust of the marketplace and buyers before looking to make some money from them.

But putting buyers through the same registration and verification demands as sellers is like opening your store on a deserted island because of the zero crime rate. It's way too much hassle for buyers to visit but at least you will never risk having a shoplifter come in.

Thread Information